Dirty Northern Barsteward | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Dirty Northern Barsteward

Oct 30, 2006
Plymouth
Is it just me that cringes or is there anyone else that feels the same? When we sing that song after the opposition commit a foul against US. Its aim is to obviously rile the other team and fans but I can't help thinking that we are shooting ourselves in the foot. Our management team and the majority of our team are from the north. Just think we could be royally peeing them off and creating an emotional devide between them and us. I'm sure I'll get some stick but that's the way it makes me feel.
Please discuss

Sep 6, 2006
Is it just me that cringes or is there anyone else that feels the same? When we sing that song after the opposition commit a foul against US. Its aim is to obviously rile the other team and fans but I can't help thinking that we are shooting ourselves in the foot. Our management team and the majority of our team are from the north. Just think we could be royally peeing them off and creating an emotional devide between them and us. I'm sure I'll get some stick but that's the way it makes me feel.
Please discuss
Ridiculous post.

May 8, 2011
Please discuss
As we sing it against every team, it was sung on Tuesday against Wycombe, also against Arsenal recently are you saying a player like Mike Cooper born in Exeter is offended by the chant.

bigalf

R.I.P
Dec 13, 2005
Keyham
Please discuss
It is clearly tongue in cheek. A few seasons ago it was even sung at a pre-season friendly away at Plymouth Parkway which I am reliably informed by Google maps is 2.01km North of Home Park and undoubtedly to the south of the residence of many of those singing it. Did make me chuckle though I must admit.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
I hope it is only you but I fear I'd be wrong.

It's a funny old world these days.

I'd have 'Welcome to Hell' emblazoned on the Devonport End roof if I could.

It's footie not a church meeting.
It is a church though. I'm always praying for a win. :LOL:

Keith Whitfield

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 30, 2015
To follow on from Ian's point, I recently walked past the Stade Velodrome just after OM's opponents (Rennes) had entered the stadium. Their ultras had greeted the opposition with flares, aggressive chants and a narrow corridor to the stadium. They knew that they weren't going to a vicar's tea party. Not saying I'd like that at HP but the contrast was pretty stark. It would make Matchday Moments more exciting, that's for sure!

I love the DNB chant, especially at places like Torquay and Exeter - Plymouth Parkway is even funnier. It's something unique to us. Let's embrace it and revel in it, not squirm about it.

Aug 10, 2006
Please discuss
Ridiculous post.
the poster is clearly very sensitive.

Oct 28, 2011
Nottingham
I was at the Stadium of Light a few seasons ago watching us play Sunderland in the Home end and the Argyle fans started to sing this chant. One of the people near me, a young teenage lad, did seem to have been a bit preplexed and offended and started to talk to his friend about it, obviously not appreciating the intended humour ironic or otherwise.

Last edited:

bigalf

R.I.P
Dec 13, 2005
Keyham
It is the stereotyped, North v South thing. I was in the Hull Cheese (it is, or at least was a pub in Hull City Centre) before a Hull v Argyle game many moons ago and was called a 'Shandy Swilling Southern F*****t' by a Hull fan. Obviously he was offended by my pre-match tipple of Tia Maria and Babycham.

Aug 26, 2021
Please discuss
People seem to want a sterile , tame, unoffensive environment at football now don't they. Some people enjoy saying nothing at games. Some like banter. This is no more than that. Its always been the same at football and long may it continue.

Reactions: GCH1965 and SWTT

J Y Kelly

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 14, 2006
Always made me chuckle, with the irony of being the most southerly professional team in the country meaning that everyone is a DNB. Also wondering, now that we play in green with black shorts, shouldn't the chant be, "Green and black barmy army"

Reactions: David Doidge