Derek Adams has left Morecambe, now at Bradford | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Derek Adams has left Morecambe, now at Bradford

Jan 7, 2007
Plymouth
PlymOdi":3mutw332 said:
JannerinCardiff":3mutw332 said:
And looks like he’s joining Bradford, so we’ll not see him next season.

Not exactly any loyalty shown to Morecambe imo

He's loyal when it benefits him.

There's no loyalty in football. Couple of bad results next season he'd have been out the door. Football management has to be one of the most insecure occupations. Get what you can, while you can.

Mar 16, 2006
Manchester
Can we please stop talking about Adams on here. A boring man with boring tactics who completely lost the respect of players and fans and whose last job wasn't even at Argyle. He got us promoted from League 2 - so what? It was the flattest promotion I've ever experienced. The only reason to be grateful to him is for signing Carey and Lameiras. But he even couldn't get them to play well enough consistently enough to keep us from going down in the most spectacular fashion. Let's just move on and forget about him.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
JannerinCardiff":3d5693qv said:

He has fulfilled his contract with Morecambe so how is he being disloyal?

It's not as if he is walking out on a club for his own self-interest - after recently signing a new 4-year contract - in the midst of a very close promotion race with only 11 games to go...

Jan 27, 2012
Adams has won promotion with all three clubs he has managed. His achievements at Morecombe are fantastic really- that club was a relegation candidate.

If he does go to Bradford then I wonder what Niall Canavan will be thinking ?!

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
I'd have done the same. I think it'd take a miracle to keep Morecambe up next year. Tiniest budget in the league and the standard they displayed in the playoffs was a mile off what you need to compete in this league. He's basically substituted near-certain relegation for another potential promotion push.

Sep 22, 2020
would anyone on here be loyal to their employer if you had the chance to go to a materially larger employer presumably offering a materially larger salary? being a football manager is his job. Do not see where loyalty comes in to it from any angle. He would quickly be sacked if things went wrong!

i don't think any footballer/manager would turn down an offer of playing in front of 12,000 rather than 1,500.

sounds like it has been 'arranged' for some time.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Manchesterlalala":26hy2ylw said:
Can we please stop talking about Adams on here. A boring man with boring tactics who completely lost the respect of players and fans and whose last job wasn't even at Argyle. He got us promoted from League 2 - so what? It was the flattest promotion I've ever experienced. The only reason to be grateful to him is for signing Carey and Lameiras. But he even couldn't get them to play well enough consistently enough to keep us from going down in the most spectacular fashion. Let's just move on and forget about him.
This is the Football Forum and we are able to talk about any team, manager or player we choose to.
I am sure that you have given your opinions about other managers or players. Some of us find it interesting to see how people who were previously associated with our club are progressing.
If we see a topic we are not interested in, we don’t have to contribute to it.

Mar 16, 2006
Manchester
davie nine":9py176bv said:
Manchesterlalala":9py176bv said:
This is the Football Forum and we are able to talk about any team, manager or player we choose to.
I am sure that you have given your opinions about other managers or players. Some of us find it interesting to see how people who were previously associated with our club are progressing.

Oh didn't realise it was on a different board. The post was on the main board. I never check the football the forum.

Mar 16, 2006
Manchester
Manchesterlalala":12tbvzyn said:
davie nine":12tbvzyn said:
Manchesterlalala":12tbvzyn said:

Oh didn't realise it was on a different board. The post was on the main board. I never check the football forum.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
It doesn’t really matter what board it’s on, it’s non football season, it’s about one of our recent previous managers. :shh:

The man’s worked a true miracle at a tiny little club, I applaud him for what he’s done. By the way I’m an acolyte, I just think he is a very hard working and decent man.

If he is going to Bradford City I can’t blame him, a far bigger and better club than Morecambe, and he can certainly go on to further increase his profile at that club.

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
PlymOdi":12aqrgn3 said:
JannerinCardiff":12aqrgn3 said:

He's loyal when it benefits him.

As are most managers in an industry that, notoriously, is not loyal to them either. Who can blame him? Take your opportunities where you can. Owners like ours - prepared to tolerate short term lack of success for long term gains - are few and far between. Adams has left Morecambe in a much better state than he found them. That’s all you can ask really

Jul 28, 2020
Derek’s win record- more than 42%, is very impressive.

I often wonder what would have happened at Argyle if the board had backed him in 2018., allowing him to sign ‘Dave’, retain Bradley and threkald ( as well as signing matthews and vyner permanently). I think it’s more than possible he could have got us up into the championship, 2018-2019. The 2-0 win against Blackburn was the “ high water mark mark” of the Adams era.That team was the best we’ve seen at Home Park in the last 5 years.

It must have broken his heart having to sign Moore, ASB, and Peter grant, the following season. Even though the defensive frailties of that side were there for all to see - I really did feel for him as a person ( as opposed to a football manager) when the Devonport turned on him in 2019- that’s got to be tough for anybody to take.

Very happy that he’s achieved success at Morecambe -a fantastic achievement. Even more remarkable if you consider that he lost his best player- Adam Phillips in January ( recalled by Burnley).

If he joins Bradford ( as expected) and takes them up to the championship ( very possible, in my opinion), then the skys the limit for him I feel ....

Jan 18, 2009
Bittaford
Derek probably feels that loyalty doesn't get you very far in footy! He showed massive loyalty after we came 7th in League 1 after being offered numerous jobs but stuck with us after WE offered him a 5 year deal only to be relieved months later - still a scandalous decision!!!

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
edmonds200":fjgajzcx said:
Derek probably feels that loyalty doesn't get you very far in footy! He showed massive loyalty after we came 7th in League 1 after being offered numerous jobs but stuck with us after WE offered him a 5 year deal only to be relieved months later - still a scandalous decision!!!
Nothing ‘on record’ suggests that he was offered ‘numerous jobs’. Are you able to elaborate?

Dec 30, 2020
Manchesterlalala":2gv0h94x said:
davie nine":2gv0h94x said:

Oh didn't realise it was on a different board. The post was on the main board. I never check the football forum.

The 'boring tactics' and 'flat promotion' under Derek Adams would be a fascinating topic for a psychology phd study looking at how the human brain creates 'memories' of things that never happened.

It's Argyle's equivalent of Walkers Crisps switching the colour of cheese and onion and salt and vinegar crisp packets - widely believed events that are entirely fictitious.