Derek Adams has left Morecambe, now at Bradford | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Derek Adams has left Morecambe, now at Bradford

greenpilled":2fy0fysw said:
Manchesterlalala":2fy0fysw said:
davie nine":2fy0fysw said:
Can we please stop talking about Adams on here. A boring man with boring tactics who completely lost the respect of players and fans and whose last job wasn't even at Argyle. He got us promoted from League 2 - so what? It was the flattest promotion I've ever experienced. The only reason to be grateful to him is for signing Carey and Lameiras. But he even couldn't get them to play well enough consistently enough to keep us from going down in the most spectacular fashion. Let's just move on and forget about him.
This is the Football Forum and we are able to talk about any team, manager or player we choose to.
I am sure that you have given your opinions about other managers or players. Some of us find it interesting to see how people who were previously associated with our club are progressing.
If we see a topic we are not interested in, we donā€™t have to contribute to it.

Oh didn't realise it was on a different board. The post was on the main board. I never check the football forum.

The 'boring tactics' and 'flat promotion' under Derek Adams would be a fascinating topic for a psychology phd study looking at how the human brain creates 'memories' of things that never happened.

It's Argyle's equivalent of Walkers Crisps switching the colour of cheese and onion and salt and vinegar crisp packets - widely believed events that are entirely fictitious.

That study has already been carried out in the States. It concluded that over 80% of us change our memories of what we did and said, when subsequent events prove that we were wrong. We apparently change our memory in order to maintain our self esteem.

Aug 24, 2014
Plymouth
edmonds200":19xjiai1 said:
Derek probably feels that loyalty doesn't get you very far in footy! He showed massive loyalty after we came 7th in League 1 after being offered numerous jobs but stuck with us after WE offered him a 5 year deal only to be relieved months later - still a scandalous decision!!!

Only because his ticket to Aberdeen was cancelled.

Peter Jones

R.I.P
Mar 4, 2004
IJN":dm4z6gqo said:
It doesnā€™t really matter what board itā€™s on, itā€™s non football season, itā€™s about one of our recent previous managers. :shh:

The manā€™s worked a true miracle at a tiny little club, I applaud him for what heā€™s done. By the way Iā€™m an acolyte, I just think he is a very hard working and decent man.

If he is going to Bradford City I canā€™t blame him, a far bigger and better club than Morecambe, and he can certainly go on to further increase his profile at that club.

Derek worked incredibly hard when he was at Argyle.

He was highly strategic.

And he made his home in Plymouth - important when managing a club a long way from the traditional football hotspots.

The job he has done for Morecambe is nothing short of extraordinary.

He'll do well wherever he goes next, I'm sure.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Manchesterlalala":331413ct said:
davie nine":331413ct said:
Manchesterlalala":331413ct said:
Can we please stop talking about Adams on here. A boring man with boring tactics who completely lost the respect of players and fans and whose last job wasn't even at Argyle. He got us promoted from League 2 - so what? It was the flattest promotion I've ever experienced. The only reason to be grateful to him is for signing Carey and Lameiras. But he even couldn't get them to play well enough consistently enough to keep us from going down in the most spectacular fashion. Let's just move on and forget about him.
This is the Football Forum and we are able to talk about any team, manager or player we choose to.
I am sure that you have given your opinions about other managers or players. Some of us find it interesting to see how people who were previously associated with our club are progressing.
If we see a topic we are not interested in, we donā€™t have to contribute to it.

Oh didn't realise it was on a different board. The post was on the main board. I never check the football the forum.
I can see that you posted this on the Argyle Forum but you did say on the Football Forum, on the Morecambe topic, that you thought Morecambe would be bottom after 15 games.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Oct 31, 2010
Keith Hill is favourite for the Morecambe job.

Sep 2, 2008
Peter_Jones":i465sxg2 said:
IJN":i465sxg2 said:
It doesnā€™t really matter what board itā€™s on, itā€™s non football season, itā€™s about one of our recent previous managers. :shh:

The manā€™s worked a true miracle at a tiny little club, I applaud him for what heā€™s done. By the way Iā€™m an acolyte, I just think he is a very hard working and decent man.

If he is going to Bradford City I canā€™t blame him, a far bigger and better club than Morecambe, and he can certainly go on to further increase his profile at that club.

He was highly strategic.

And he made his home in Plymouth - important when managing a club a long way from the traditional football hotspots.

I agree completely. I like Mr Hallett but I really feel that he made an error in dismissing Adams. I would have preferred it if he stood by the manager and binned the players that were the reason for him acting as he did.

Managers throughout the history of the game have passionate moments and in some cases it is necessary. Some of the greatest managers have this passion and react forcefully. I wonder how far Man Utd would have progressed if Ferguson had been sacked after chucking a boot at Beckham.

Adams will be a huge success at Bradford. He will get them promoted and he will stay with them in league one and beyond. Probably looking back at us as he passes us by.

Sep 2, 2008
Peter_Jones":30oyb2ht said:
IJN":30oyb2ht said:

He was highly strategic.

This in spades! Adams really did commit to Argyle unlike many managers before him and since.....

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Oct 31, 2010
Pottypilgrim":rkgooymi said:
Peter_Jones":rkgooymi said:
IJN":rkgooymi said:

He was highly strategic.

This in spades! Adams really did commit to Argyle unlike many managers before him and since.....

Adams was different because he didn't have a family to uproot. Football was/is his life.

Sep 16, 2009
Bournemouth
Iā€™m pleased for Derek - heā€™s done very very well at Morecambe and deserves the chance at Bradford. He also won a lot of games at Argyle but thereā€™s a little bit of rose tinted spectacles on this thread too. His final season WAS a disaster and the performances towards the end absolutely shocking, leading to relegation so to quote a well known film ā€œheā€™s not the messiahā€....

Oct 31, 2015
Good luck to him.

It's no secret I wanted him gone during the relegation season and his style from the Liverpool FA cup game onwards absolutely did my head in but you have to give credit to him.for what he did up there.

Bradford are a big club and it could be his making.

No bitterness from me and I wish him all the best.

Aug 5, 2016
greenpilled":w5ueu8rz said:
It's Argyle's equivalent of Walkers Crisps switching the colour of cheese and onion and salt and vinegar crisp packets - widely believed events that are entirely fictitious.

Entirely fictitious? I remember that well!

I remember the advert with Gary Lineker in it. A team with blue shirts and a team with green shirts, and he gets them to swap because Walkers colours were changing.

Perhaps a huge number of people widely believe it - because it did happen.

Larry David

āœ… Evergreen
Apr 9, 2004
LA NY or Cuckfield
For me he is the manager of the year, to turn a basket case like Morecambe into a League One side is quite remarkable. As for Kevin Ellison maybe Derek had quite enough of disruptive billy big bollocks types whilst at Argyle? If so then good for him.

Feb 23, 2008
Knibbsworth":671ggdr8 said:
greenpilled":671ggdr8 said:

Entirely fictitious? I remember that well!

I remember the advert with Gary Lineker in it. A team with blue shirts and a team with green shirts, and he gets them to swap because Walkers colours were changing.

Perhaps a huge number of people widely believe it - because it did happen.

I didn't see the advert but definitely remember the colours being the opposite way round, still doesn't feel right now!

Maybe Adams knew what his budget was for next season and thought sod League One again on a shoestring?

If he takes Bradford up again next season he'll get to have another crack at the third tier with a decent budget behind him.

cheshiregreen

āœ… Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Bradford have been pretty ruthless recently in hiring and firing as they try to escape the 4th tier.

2016-2018: Stuart McCall

2018: Simon Grayson

2018: Michael Collins (Head Coach)

2018-2019: David Hopkin

2019-2020: Gary Bowyer

2020: Stuart McCall

2020: Mark Trueman (Caretaker)

2020: Mark Trueman and Conor Sellars (Joint Interim)

2020-2021: Mark Trueman and Conor Sellars (Joint)

Derek Adams will not be able to use the "overarchieving against budget" line at Valley Parade. They are a well supported team and the budget should be one of, if not, the largest in League 2.

Patience may be in short supply if results don't go to plan. Wonder if Canavan will find himself reunited with any ex Argyle colleagues from the Morecambe success?