Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
Is in talks with the EFL about a points deduction for breaking FFP rules and now they have filed notices of intention to appoint administrators.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Plus a potential 9 point penalty for their accounting in previous seasons depending on outcome of EFL process.

Minus 21 points would take some recovering from (if that penalty is imposed this season too).

Mr Clough must be turning in his grave.

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
SSN reporting on the deduction possibly being 21 points. The BBC article saying the player wage bill trebled to £48m since the current owner came in in. How many expensive player did Derby offload this summer? Not enough!
Chasing the dream with no regard to prudent financial management has brought them to this. Covid hasn't helped obviously but £48m on wages is surely never sustainable at what is no longer a top flight team.
I blame the parachute payment system to a large extent, clubs used it to keep expensive players in the hope of bouncing straight back up, instead of using it to help offload those players as it was intended.

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
Financial mismanagement of epic proportions on chasing the dream & it is always the fans that suffer

I know some Derby fans who are absolutely devastated by what their chairman & his cronies have been up to

I think the BBC writer is naive in thinking this is only about ownership and doesn’t affect the football club. If you’re a Derby player, how motivated would you be knowing that whatever your team’s improvement you’ll be relegated next season? How will they recruit new talent when they are effectively already relegated. How many of their occasional supporters will simply not turn up this year because the season’s outcome is already decided, so revenues decline immediately. I think they’ll find it very hard to bounce back from this.

Apr 21, 2005
Plympton
Cynical me just thinks they decided on the admin now, as getting docked 9pts was something the team would struggle to overcome, so they might as well take the 21 point hit all in one go. Shame for the players but not fair on other teams that they didn't get the 9pts taken off last season. Should be in League 2 at best so League 1 with a clean slate has to be seen as a bonus.

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
Considering how the 12 point deduction has only left them 9 points from safety I would say that relegation is not that nailed on. Even with a further 9 points possible they have plenty of time to pull that back. THAT is the real annoyance, they avoided the deduction(s) late in the season which would have certainly doomed them last season, and have the time to save themselves. Remember that Argyle almost saved themselves when we went bust, a month earlier on the deduction and we might have stayed up.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Yep deffo carve up.

The only good thing is, it's annoyed the hell (understandably) out of Wycombe.