Data driven? 🩼 | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Data driven? 🩼

J Y Kelly

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 14, 2006
Although I understand the gist of the post, I'm not sure I quite agree with the judgement about the players mentioned.

Galloway's injury was a dislocated kneecap which I think was just bad luck. Bolton's came from a bad, intentional challenge from the Ipswich thug. Miller, I will grant you, seems to have a track record with soft tissue injuries. I think these injuries are par for the course with players who have explosive speed - Michael Owen springs to mind.

It has been said before that we have to sometimes take chances on decent players with injury records. However, if we could identify good injury free players they wouldn't be playing for us, but in a higher league. I expect most clubs at our level are the same.

Maybe it's something common to most clubs that they think that their method will be the one to get a tune out of a player, where no other club has. I daresay that most of the time it doesn't work out and the player moves on.

As a counterpoint to all this I will introduce James Wilson, who prior to signing for us, missed half the season at Ipswich due to injury, and only seems to miss a game for us due to card offences. He might be an outlier in all of this, but it doesn't mean that every player who has an injury record is going to stay injured.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Didn't know that but love the fact that someone called verdi Godwin or Green God found arguably our best ever player ! Sounds like a football manager regen name that one !!😁
It was good that he was a male. Had he been a female, he might have been a Green Godess and confused with an Army fire engine, which were much in evidence decades ago when Fire Service personnel were on strike for a time!

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
“Data analytics” It sounds good doesn’t it? But is it anything really different to what Bernie Godwin did all those years ago watching Chorley play ( and presumably making notes on the back of a fag packet 😉).

New name, old idea. There’s nothing new under the sun. Just a smart new name for something Argyle have been doing for decades IMO.
Verdi (y)

Reactions: Railway sleeper
Feb 9, 2021
Yep, the only possible saving grace I call an think off is the club offering contracts that give a modest base salary for injury prone players, largely subsidised with bonuses on playing time etc.

It would be unspeakable to offer Miller a similar structure to a player like Edwards who is fit for 85% of a season.

Miller and Bolton are very concerning. Galloway was a little more freak but we must be structuring in to contracts the possibility of these types of players living up to there previous injury prone status's.
I am more concerned with the slow rehab of our injured players.
Brendon's and James Boltons injury seem to be taking forever to heal especially Bolton who had a broken bone in his foot which you would expect to be routine? are the physios very experienced?
As for Miller that is down to his clever agent and a lack of experience on our recruitment team. He should never have been signed
Alfie Lewis last season seemed to have ongoing issues with injuries and were is Connor Grant? Again he had a minor groin operation but still not available
Has something changed regarding the physios since the turn of the year?

Oct 31, 2015
Listen to Ro's story on how Daveeeed Frio was recruited. No data analytics used there🤣🤣🤣

I do think there is a science but there will always be the human factor. I suspect the injury prone players would be more expensive if they didn't have injury problems hence to stay in budget we sign them.

Reactions: oldage

PutneyPete

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
♣️ PASALB Member
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
Jun 23, 2005
London (Putney)
I think you mean Verdi Godwin who was the scout who spotted Paul Mariner playing for Chorley and finally after quite a lot of persuasion managed to get Tony Waiters to sign him for Argyle.
"Starting out at non-league Chorley, Mariner was soon spotted by freelance scout Verdi Godwin, who alerted Plymouth Argyle to the talents of the apprentice electrician. When Argyle manager Tony Waiters voiced uncertainty about the merits in signing Mariner, Godwin staked his own reputation on just how good a player they were considering passing over.

After a number of viewings of Mariner by various members of the Argyle coaching staff, a ballot was taken on whether to sign the striker or not. The ‘yes’ campaign narrowly won by just one vote. The player himself stating that he would walk to Plymouth if it meant that they’d sign him. For Chorley, it was a timely financial boost, given that the club had voluntarily dropped down a division due to budgeting reasons just 12 months earlier. "

Nobody ever went down the park to be Paul Mariner

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
I am more concerned with the slow rehab of our injured players.
Brendon's and James Boltons injury seem to be taking forever to heal especially Bolton who had a broken bone in his foot which you would expect to be routine? are the physios very experienced?
As for Miller that is down to his clever agent and a lack of experience on our recruitment team. He should never have been signed
Alfie Lewis last season seemed to have ongoing issues with injuries and were is Connor Grant? Again he had a minor groin operation but still not available
Has something changed regarding the physios since the turn of the year?
I appreciate that you are perhaps only asking questions here, but...

The part in bold seems to be complete conjecture - unless you happen to know the player, his agent or the details of how the negotiations progressed.

Actually, most of the rest of the post is conjecture too unless you know the medical details of the injuries, their rehab programmes and have extensive wider knowledge of injury recovery. Are the recoveries actually 'slow'? Obviously we'd all like them to be faster but perhaps they are taking the 'right' amount of time.

Oct 5, 2013
I asked a similar question on another post today. Does the data analysis highlight how “hard “a player is .We seem to lack players who are prepared to get “stuck in” when the going gets tough.
Not true at all, imo.
Do you know how ‘hard’ the tackles and fouling in pro football are? have you experienced anything approaching it?
All of our players are ‘hard’ enough.
But we don’t sign ‘dirty’ players like some clubs have. That may be what you are noticing.

unhinched

🚑 Steve Hooper
Apr 16, 2016
There is very little correlation between how ( physically) hard a player is and how many injuries they get.
With very few exceptions ' being injured ' is depressing for pretty much all athletes.
But one injury often has a knock on effect to another due to maybe overcompensation on another muscle or joint.
Some players maybe work harder to build appropriate muscle to prevent injury in their known weak spots and some maybe work harder to recover.
Remember Roy Keane's ' terminator' look after recovering from his cruciate injury.

Jul 12, 2016
Not true at all, imo.
Do you know how ‘hard’ the tackles and fouling in pro football are? have you experienced anything approaching it?
All of our players are ‘hard’ enough.
But we don’t sign ‘dirty’ players like some clubs have. That may be what you are noticing.
We have a “soft” underbelly. When the going gets tough we get bullied.

Feb 8, 2005
There is a little piece of data analytics in this podcast. It starts with table tennis and tennis but have a bit of patience and you will get to football penalties, etc.

PODCAST

If you want to know a bit about data analytics listen to this (Oldage?)

Jannerz

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 30, 2022
League 1 Ins and Outs 2022/23

A lot of talk about 'we need a striker'. Where do we find one? If we need one. Answers?

Worth a look at where we are in the bigger picture (rather than a Pasoti bubble), just to keep mine and our feet on the ground.

Barnsley, Sheff Wed, Ipswich, Charlton, Derby.

Look at the quality they attract, even on a free. (Michael Smith to Sheff Wed, Freddie Ladapo to Ipswich etc)

Add to that MK made nearly £5m from Twine & Darling. Posh nearly £3m from Szmodics.

Add to that the big teams mentioned paying 2, 3 or even 4 times the salary than we can afford. Splurging big money (for us) on one player, which is about all we could do presently if we chose to, is a huge risk (aka G. Cooper), and would one player make a difference overall, compared to building decent facilities to attract the best academy players, for example. What's the best use of our limited funds?

Last edited:
Reactions: JannerinCardiff

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Recent spending out on transfer fees has been hit and miss. Hardie has been a success, George Cooper was a failure (he was much better and fit as a loanee) and the jury is still out on Ennis.
You can understand why the board won't spend out on transfer fees, it's too risky. I suppose most lower league clubs are exactly the same.
With the best attendances last season since 2005 and ST sales approaching 9,000 this term I believe the club has some money for transfer fees but for now are being prudent.

Reactions: JannerinCardiff