Danny Mayor

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Broom played a good 20 minutes of Saturday at LWB with Grant inside. Another option would be to use Broom as the wing-back with Mayor as the LCM. Could be a useful option breaking down a stubborn defence.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
I sit in the Lyndy and my memory of Cooper crossing to such effect from the left (attacking the BP) was interplay between Mayor and Cooper with Mayor drawing defenders, freeing up space for Cooper and playing the pass to allow Cooper to cross well in time and space. To be doing what we are doing without these two atm is testament to good recruitment.

Well you know the old tent/weewee analogy? I'd rather have Mayor on our bench or in our team then in the Crewe squad tonight! I loves that man!! :love:

Dec 16, 2004
I sit in the Lyndy and my memory of Cooper crossing to such effect from the left (attacking the BP) was interplay between Mayor and Cooper with Mayor drawing defenders, freeing up space for Cooper and playing the pass to allow Cooper to cross well in time and space. To be doing what we are doing without these two atm is testament to good recruitment.

Well you know the old tent/weewee analogy? I'd rather have Mayor on our bench or in our team then in the Crewe squad tonight! I loves that man!! :love:
Yep, I agree but Mayor and Mcfadzean together takes some beating.

NLG

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 16, 2006
I think it is a noisy few that like to spout negativity, DM is highly rated by most fans but he is an easy target at the moment as he cant get on the pitch to show how he would perform with a team capable of taking advantage of his skills. lets see if the same naysayers eat humble pie when he can and does.

May 18, 2016
I would imagine that there will be a few changes either tonight or on Saturday, because we will have played five games in fifteen days. Now I would rest a few for tonight - and maybe start with Mayor for Broom and Agard for Jephcott or Randell for Houghton, on the basis that tonight's match might be easier than Lincoln away on Saturday. They could all come off the bench if we aren't winning with 20 minutes to play. Maybe I just want us to play our strongest team at Lincoln because my tickets for that game have just arrived?
The more the defence play together, the better they will be, so I wouldn't tinker there.

Aug 15, 2015
Broom has been excellent I’m not saying otherwise. I wonder how effective he would have been in last season’s team. You say DM doesn’t provide opportunities or create space! In my opinion you’re deluded. As others have stated I just don’t get the DM bashers. He’s by far our most creative player and probably the player that has sold more season tickets than any other player. When he gets back in the team he will make a huge difference. Especially now RH & LJ have confidence and a run of form. Saturdays game was screaming out for DM luckily two rash challenges gave us penalties otherwise I don’t think we would have unlocked their defence

What do you mean by effective in last season's team? That is clutching at straws. We're comparing the different type of individual players that they are. What are you saying, that with a weaker defence last season, Broom would be incapable of doing what he does now or? By that logic why didn't Mayor score or directly assist more when we went up in L2?

Nothing to do with delusion. Broom is much more direct. He plays through balls, he goes wide and whips in crosses, he runs at defenders. He has more shots on goal. Mayor plays the game differently and tends to not maximise attacking situations. When do you ever see Mayor fizz a ball in for a running midfielder? Never. Broom is always looking to play someone in. Mayor is more of a dribbler, concerned primarily with individually beating his man, but he loses sight of the big picture. The foul for the first penalty against Doncaster is a good example of that. Mayor most likely tries his best to hold that ball for a dribble, and he would do that in every scenario. Broom paces to the ball to whip it in before it gets blocked off. End result is something productive from Broom.

And that's just the attacking side of the game. Then there's the work-rate, energy and hustle, the winning back of possession.

As others have mentioned, I think Mayor is a fantastic option off the bench for the last 20 against tired legs. But he needs to do much more to be a regular over a whole season in this team now. Broom and Camara have raised the bar.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tonka

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
And where does Pan come into this equation? Drop him...for no apparent reason other than to make way for someone who has been injured since the beginning of the season?

Do that and you will end up with one very unhappy player...and rightly so!
I wouldn’t drop Pan instantly as you have suggested this could make people unhappy and neither Pan nor Broom deserve that.

Instead I’d introduce Mayor initially from the subs bench around the 60 min mark for EITHER Broom or Pan but I’d always play Mayor at LM with either Broom or Pan at RM. Once Mayor is back in the fold I’d start rotating the 3 of them depending on whether we are home/away or the opposition level, formation and style.

There may also be times when George Cooper could play in midfield who is brilliant at instinctive 1st time crossing so great to have all these options.

there’s also the option of playing all 4 of these players I’ve mentioned at the same time… as Lowe has indicated that Broom can play either wing back position.

What about this for an eleven..

GK M Cooper
RWB Broom
LWB G Cooper
RCB Wilson
CB Scarr
LCB Galloway
CDM Houghton
RM Camara
LM Mayor
FW Jephcott
FW Hardie

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
St Austell
Slightly off topic but on the note of rotating players, am I the only one who think Gillesphey could be a good back up at CDM to Houghton if called upon?

Mar 5, 2006
Ipswich
Looking forward to seeing Danny fit again. We haven't seen much of him this season with the new look defence and midfield lynchpin in Houghton. He was playing well at Peterborough before he was injured. He was creating and having a pop himself. So let's hope to see him again soon like George Cooper on the bench tonight.

Greendawe

♣️ PASALB Member
Mar 20, 2020
What is the Danny injury? Not in the squad again this evening. Ryan Lowe said recently he was up and down. With what?

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Slightly off topic but on the note of rotating players, am I the only one who think Gillesphey could be a good back up at CDM to Houghton if called upon?

I’ve said previously he looks better at carrying the ball and distributing than he does at central defending. Like a taller Carl McHugh…

Reactions: Fergy