Danny Mayor | Page 10 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Danny Mayor

Jan 27, 2012
Anyone else surprised that George Cooper wasn’t considered to come on at LWB rather than a right footed Garrick or less experienced Law??

I doubt if George Cooper is ready for League One action. He has been out for a year and had no match practice of any worth. I think Lowe might have put him on the bench for a bit of a mental boost more than anything. Hopefully Cooper can play in the Papa Johns thing which is effectively a reserve team competition (although I do still think that Argyle need proper reserve fixtures to keep their squad fit and ready).

Good news about Mayor if true. Broom and Camara have done well but will surely burn out if they keep up this intensity. Mayor brings a different set of skills to the table. Opposition players really struggle to take the ball of him and his passing is usually excellent. Broom is like a Golf GTI running around, Mayor is more like a chauffeur driven Rolls Royce.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Anyone else surprised that George Cooper wasn’t considered to come on at LWB rather than a right footed Garrick or less experienced Law for the last 20 mins?
I think Lowe said if it had been 15 or 20 minutes maybe but felt 60 plus might be too soon for Cooper. I thought Law had a really good 10 or 15 minutes when he came on.

Jan 21, 2007
I get the feeling that we're not being told the full situation with Mayor.
He is injured, he's been going to my gym for the last few weeks, where he's been working with physio Nick Fulton. From what I could see he's been concentrating on building up leg muscle and using the treadmill. Ennis and Camara have been in a few times, but DM has been in pretty regularly; and clearly following a programme set out for him by Nick.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Anyone else surprised that George Cooper wasn’t considered to come on at LWB rather than a right footed Garrick or less experienced Law for the last 20 mins?

Not really. The game was fairly full throttle at that point and we really needed a goal. I don’t think Cooper would’ve been the right choice.

Jun 28, 2006
Plymouth
You don't understand why people love Danny Mayor?
Do you not find it enjoyable watching him jink and twist and turn and feint his way past three, four or five players at a time, to dribble us up the pitch 30 metres at a time?
Even if you think his style of play is ineffective, it is definitely entertaining and eye catching.

And he doesn't necessarily have to play at the expense of Broom. Why can't he play in Camara's position? Why can't the lot of them be rotated?

It is possibly even advisable to do so given the way the whole team seemed burned out after January last season, particularly Mayor, Jephcott and Camara who had been fantastic up until that point. They went from looking in fine form and confident to drained and running on fumes.
You take Broom or Camara out of this team we’re going backwards. The energy and athleticism they bring are Championship standard and are the key to our current run of success.

It’s been said too many times now but Mayor whilst being a gifted entertainer also is guilty of slowing the game and restricting the flow. His procrastination and lack of vision at times is infuriating. IMO of course.

Aug 5, 2016
You take Broom or Camara out of this team we’re going backwards. The energy and athleticism they bring are Championship standard and are the key to our current run of success.

It’s been said too many times now but Mayor whilst being a gifted entertainer also is guilty of slowing the game and restricting the flow. His procrastination and lack of vision at times is infuriating. IMO of course.
So you expect both players to play at top form all season playing Saturday and Tuesday? Do you not expect fatigue to be a factor?
They look energetic now because it isn’t even October yet.
By the new year if we’re not careful they will be exhausted again, just like last season.
The top clubs rotate their star performers to preserve them for when they are most needed.
Cristiano Ronaldo and Paul Pogba don’t need to play against Norwich - if Edinson Cavani and Fred can do the job, they’ll get the chance. Some players will be given a game off and then play against Borussia Dortmund.
Not week in, week out, week in, week out, week in…the same eleven 25, 30, 35+ games in a row.
Mayor can play football to a very good standard in this division. The idea of him being frozen out until we run other players into the ground seems a bit strange. If him, Cooper, Ennis etc. are fit, they deserve opportunities, and it is beneficial to the squad.
I remember when Adams went on a playoff charge, keeping the same team from November to the end of the season. Form was great for months, we looked invincible - until we hit a wall around March time. The players looked exhausted, injuries piled up, results went off a cliff edge. Months of winning performances come at a cost.
Regardless of the rotation argument, Danny Mayor is a fantastic player, and technically more capable than anyone else in the squad. He’ll pull his weight. His understanding with Grant at LWB was excellent, and I think he would get on excellently with the energetic darting runs of Ryan Broom and a revitalised Ryan Hardie.
Hopefully we’ll get to see it soon.

Jun 28, 2006
Plymouth
So you expect both players to play at top form all season playing Saturday and Tuesday? Do you not expect fatigue to be a factor?
By the new year if we’re not careful they will be exhausted again, just like last season.
The top clubs rotate their star performers to preserve them for when they are most needed.
Cristiano Ronaldo and Paul Pogba don’t need to play against Norwich - if Edinson Cavani and Fred can do the job, they’ll get the chance. Some players will be given a game off and then play against Borussia Dortmund.
Not week in, week out, week in, week out, week in…the same eleven 25, 30, 35+ games in a row.
Mayor can play football to a very good standard in this division. The idea of him being frozen out until we run other players into the ground seems a bit strange. If him, Cooper, Ennis etc. are fit, they deserve opportunities, and it is beneficial to the squad.
I remember when Adams went on a playoff charge, keeping the same team from November to the end of the season. Form was great for months, we looked invincible - until we hit a wall around March time. The players looked exhausted, injuries piled up, results went off a cliff edge. Months of winning performances come at a cost.
Regardless of the rotation argument, Danny Mayor is a fantastic player, and technically more capable than anyone else in the squad. He’ll pull his weight. His understanding with Grant at LWB was excellent, and I think he would get on excellently with the energetic darting runs of Ryan Broom and a revitalised Ryan Hardie.
Read my post again.

But for clarity I don’t think Mayor offers the same level of hard work and commitment as the other two. Gifted indeed, however in my opinion the intensity brought by Broom and Camara is opening different doors at he moment.

Mayor isn’t a Championship player. He will easily be found out and frozen from the game by more savvy, fitter players and of a better standard than leagues 1 & 2. He runs around in circles with little end product. Personally I’m still waiting to see the player that Lowe thinks is better than Carey. Others will agree. Many won’t, but as you say hopefully we’ll see in time.

Jun 28, 2006
Plymouth
What do you mean by effective in last season's team? That is clutching at straws. We're comparing the different type of individual players that they are. What are you saying, that with a weaker defence last season, Broom would be incapable of doing what he does now or? By that logic why didn't Mayor score or directly assist more when we went up in L2?

Nothing to do with delusion. Broom is much more direct. He plays through balls, he goes wide and whips in crosses, he runs at defenders. He has more shots on goal. Mayor plays the game differently and tends to not maximise attacking situations. When do you ever see Mayor fizz a ball in for a running midfielder? Never. Broom is always looking to play someone in. Mayor is more of a dribbler, concerned primarily with individually beating his man, but he loses sight of the big picture. The foul for the first penalty against Doncaster is a good example of that. Mayor most likely tries his best to hold that ball for a dribble, and he would do that in every scenario. Broom paces to the ball to whip it in before it gets blocked off. End result is something productive from Broom.

And that's just the attacking side of the game. Then there's the work-rate, energy and hustle, the winning back of possession.

As others have mentioned, I think Mayor is a fantastic option off the bench for the last 20 against tired legs. But he needs to do much more to be a regular over a whole season in this team now. Broom and Camara have raised the bar.
You see the same game as me.

Reactions: Sparkypete

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff

Totally agree with all of this…. 👍

Oct 24, 2010
The form and energy levels of Camara and Broom are a big reason for our early season success but Mayor is a top quality player, one of the best at this level . No doubt Mayor will start on the bench but if he comes on and performs as he can then the manager has a major selection problem.

Reactions: LipsonJock and IJN

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Read my post again.

But for clarity I don’t think Mayor offers the same level of hard work and commitment as the other two. Gifted indeed, however in my opinion the intensity brought by Broom and Camara is opening different doors at he moment.

Mayor isn’t a Championship player. He will easily be found out and frozen from the game by more savvy, fitter players and of a better standard than leagues 1 & 2. He runs around in circles with little end product. Personally I’m still waiting to see the player that Lowe thinks is better than Carey. Others will agree. Many won’t, but as you say hopefully we’ll see in time.
I'm with you Tonka. I like Mayor but I don't see him as a Championship level player.
I'm hoping with the extra competition he now has, it will bring out the best in him.

Reactions: Tonka
Feb 13, 2021
Read my post again.

How can you say Mayor lacks any more commitment than any other player!?

Reactions: jerryatricjanner
Jun 18, 2005
born St. Columb, Cornwall
Read my post again.

In defence of DM, I think he works extremely hard and always plays with commitment, both going forward and chasing back. He just isn't very good at defending. He wasn't 'frozen out' by Sheffield U's Premier defence last season was he, so we shouldn't assume that he couldn't step up a level again? I remember someone posting early last season that he would struggle in this league but he clearly hasn't. I have a lot of belief in him but I agree that the end product does need to improve.