Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Yep, the whole point of Moneyball style analysis is that it goes way beyond the obvious stats.

Having said that, Carey is the better player IMO. But why not enjoy the fact we’ve had two exciting number 10s in a row?

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Biggs":15ubv0lg said:
Yep, the whole point of Moneyball style analysis is that it goes way beyond the obvious stats.

Having said that, Carey is the better player IMO. But why not enjoy the fact we’ve had two exciting number 10s in a row?

Moneyball schmoneyball JohnyBall (statsman!)

Mayor is playing for us, GC10 isn't. Sort that one out Statto!

Meaningless drivel I prefer dribble geddon Danno10! :nworthy:

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
demportdave":3mq2wsl0 said:
davie nine":3mq2wsl0 said:
oldage":3mq2wsl0 said:
ming the merciless":3mq2wsl0 said:
I'm so chuffed about this. He's a football god in my opinion. He surely must be one of the most skillful players to ever wear the green shirt. It's a shame not everyone is able to see how valuable his contribution is. But I suppose its not supprising. Football attracts some pretty dim people. :nworthy: :scarf:
Talk about OTT.I can only assume you are relatively young to come up with such a ridiculous statement.One of the most
skillful players to ever wear a green shirt? And you are suggest ing others are dim :funny:
Does it ever occur to you to think that, maybe, you are wrong about Mayor?
I wonder what you will be saying, if next season, we recruit a more balanced midfield and Danny scores a few more goals and provides a few more direct assists like he did in his last season at Bury.
Still, you don’t rate RL either so I guess you would blame him for not realising that was needed.
By the way, this ‘vast majority’ that you mentioned were coming around to your opinion are keeping very quiet since he re-signed.
The posts from oldage and ming sum up the situation with Mayor and much of the fanbase, there is definitely a bit of a "Marmite" thing going on and for many of us, even after 2 seasons the Jury is still out but I'm sure we all hope that he can be used to greater effect next season.

There's no denying that DM is one of most skilful players we have had in the last 10 years or so.

On the other hand, if you look at it from a Moneyball perspective, the statistics clearly suggest that he is not that effective in terms of his overall contribution to the team. If you compare his stats with Carey - perhaps the most obvious comparison - it does not look that good for Mayor.

Carey - 4 seasons, 53 assists and 46 goals.

Mayor - 2 seasons, 11 assists and 3 goals.

Although not exactly the same type of player, their role as the play-maker in chief with regards to creativity and making things happen offensively is very similar.

Each player's Argyle career was evenly divided between Leagues 1 and 2, so the comparison is quite valid.
This thread is now in its 30th page and, with a few exceptions, including the 2 you have mentioned and you, it appears, there is no evidence that ‘much of the fanbase’ are disappointed that Mayor has re-signed. A similar comment to oldage suggesting that the ‘vast majority’ of supporters were coming around to his opinion.
The statistics that you mention certainly confirm Carey’s major contribution in the seasons that he was with us.
Carey was a player who got us off our seats and, as far as I’m concerned, that is also what Danny Mayor does.
I don’t need to compare them except to say that, when I think of the next match at Home Park, Carey was one of the players that I looked forward to watching and now it’s Danny Mayor (and Mike Cooper).

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
The main point I was trying to make is that even after 2 seasons, the Argyle fanbase is still divided over Mayor, which is a bit unusual.

But football is all about opinions and on a site such as this, nobody is right or wrong for having a different opinion and they're certainly not stupid.

As for Moneyball and data analysis, I'm not a big fan of it.

However, we have an owner who is absolutely locked in to data analysis, as he has told us on a number of occasions, and his thinking on this issue permeates down through the Management of the club on all footballing matters.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Carey also took a lot of corners, most free kicks and penalties. Those aren't responsible for the whole difference in stats but they're a part of it.

Carey was also a big component in an Argyle team that was relegated. Using Oldage logic that means he was worse than Mayor, which he clearly wasn't.

Oh and Dave ask the question about the role of Carey in the side that was relegated - the fan base is even more split.

Nov 30, 2010
Brechin
davie nine":324ovk4q said:
You were a ‘Mayor-sceptic’ yesterday.

To recap:

Based on his performances last season, I wasn't convinced giving DM a new contract was the best use of the club's limited funds. Hence the term 'Mayor-sceptic'. Once he re-signed, I want to give him - and the rest of the squad - the benefit of the doubt.

As it is clear that DM is going to be a pivotal part of our team next season, there's a legitimate debate around how to get the best out of him, where he should play and what formation would exploit his undoubted abilities to the best advantage of the team. My own view, which I've offered on this forum several times, is that DM might well be best suited to playing in the hole in a 4-4-1-1.

Glad to be able to clear that up for the hard-of-understanding.

Jul 18, 2011
One of the more interesting stats from last season was that we were the third best team in the league when it came to the number of crosses into the box, many of these from Mayor. The problem was that not enough of these led to a goal being scored, especially when Jephcott disappeared.

May 8, 2011
Abbotts Ann Green":1fk1f2aq said:
One of the more interesting stats from last season was that we were the third best team in the league when it came to the number of crosses into the box, many of these from Mayor. The problem was that not enough of these led to a goal being scored, especially when Jephcott disappeared.

The stats also show that we were the 14th best at shots on target, so what happened to all those crosses?

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Abbotts Ann Green":2dyyzegf said:

Shows we like to attack down the flanks, but otherwise stats without context are pretty useless. Just because the cross went into the box, it doesn't mean it was a good cross!

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Nobby":3um5j44i said:
Abbotts Ann Green":3um5j44i said:

Shows we like to attack down the flanks, but otherwise stats without context are pretty useless. Just because the cross went into the box, it doesn't mean it was a good cross!

Our attacks down the flanks were lopsided and shows the worth of Mayor on the left.
41% of our attacks came from the left side of the team – the 3rd highest in the league, 35% of attacks came from the right side – the joint third lowest.

Jun 18, 2005
born St. Columb, Cornwall
PL2 3DQ":1myoz5o9 said:
Nobby":1myoz5o9 said:
Abbotts Ann Green":1myoz5o9 said:

Our attacks down the flanks were lopsided and shows the worth of Mayor on the left.
41% of our attacks came from the left side of the team – the 3rd highest in the league, 35% of attacks came from the right side – the joint third lowest.

Not as lop sided as I would have expected from memory.

Jul 12, 2016
Abbotts Ann Green":1xkgr34o said:
Pointless stats.You can put hundreds of crosses into the box but if they are inaccurate and can easily be defended against what's the point? The service to Jephcott and co dried up.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
oldage":1eg2ux94 said:
Abbotts Ann Green":1eg2ux94 said:
Pointless stats.You can put hundreds of crosses into the box but if they are inaccurate and can easily be defended against what's the point? The service to Jephcott and co dried up.

Wasn't that exactly what Abbots Ann said? Please can you join the debate (now respsonses requested from you on 2 threads) rather then just making the same points over and over and over and over and over ......

Jul 12, 2016
Mark Pedlar":33k6om15 said:
oldage":33k6om15 said:
Abbotts Ann Green":33k6om15 said:

Wasn't that exactly what Abbots Ann said? Please can you join the debate (now respsonses requested from you on 2 threads) rather then just making the same points over and over and over and over and over ......
If you care to read what I said it is NOT the same as AAG.You just like having a go at me over and over and over and over......
The problem with this site is that the moderators and Site Admin can say what they like knowing they are bulletproof.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
oldage":9pksgphm said:
Mark Pedlar":9pksgphm said:
oldage":9pksgphm said:
Abbotts Ann Green":9pksgphm said:

If you care to read what I said it is NOT the same as AAG.You just like having a go at me over and over and over and over......
The problem with this site is that the moderators and Site Admin can say what they like knowing they are bulletproof.

Please answer the questions and engage in debate.