Cristiano Ronaldo. | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Cristiano Ronaldo.

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
To be honest, I fail to see the point of Utd signing him, other than to shift more shirts from their store. Yeah, he's still a great goal-scorer, but it isn't as if scoring goals was really a problem for Utd last season. But I think the main issue Utd will have with them in the team is his ... reluctance ... to do the hard work for the team: I saw a stat that, in the five top flight divisions across Europe, he was in the bottom 2% of the pressing stats for forwards over 90 minutes. So effectively, unless United are in and around the opposition's penalty box, Ronaldo will probably be anonymous in the games.

Reactions: Bernie Bernbaum
Nov 18, 2011
I will be interested to see how the physicality of the Premier league impacts his game.

The thing is the problem isn’t Utd’s team. It’s Ole. If you watched a week last Sunday you would see his team be battered by a Wolves team where the result was simply determined by a good De Gea performance and some inept Wolves finishing.

They have some wonderful players. Yet they have no real engine in midfield. Matic, Fred or McTominay. Says it all in where their problem lyes. A complete disregard for Van Der Beek for an area surely that is crying out for a better player on the ball.

Ole shoves Pogba out to left midfield simply because he doesn’t trust him in central midfield. This not to say he doesn’t play well but he trusts Fred more than Pogba to play in the CM position.

If you get to watch Utd play, the no9 position isn’t a great role in the way the teams plays under Ole. CanvanI was excellent for Utd last season. I’m not sure how much better Ronaldo will play. Canvani has been fantastic given he often had poor service.

Ronaldo will no doubt inspire those around him. Yet the guy is 36. Yes he looks in top physical condition but looking good doesn’t mean his body will stand up any better to the rigours of premier league football.

l am sure he will score goals. Especially against lower opposition teams. Yet it’s nothing CanvanI wasn’t already doing. The other issue is they have a major talent in Greenwood. This move doesn’t help his development.

This is a sentimental signing. It’s a home coming. The Glaziers have pulled an absolute rabbit out of the bag with this one because it stops fans, momentarily, moaning about the dividends being taken out the club.

Go back to Europa league final. Look at the players Utd had. What cost them the game was Ole. Whilst Emery was being pro active and making subs, Ole was doing nothing. The game drifted by. Tactically there are major questions marks over him. One that may prevent them getting a 21st title.

Ronaldo is a shiny new toy. Yet look under the bonnet and there is no engine to this team. Plus its rudderless. Yes this team will get top four with ease. Yet Utd fans expect to win trophies. In the crucial moments will having Ronaldo really close the gap on a Chelsea or Man City?

This isn’t a player in his prime like Chelsea brought in Lukaku. This isn’t Dortmund‘s Haaland a few years away from his prime. This is a great player, unfortunately at the end of his career.

Sums up my views. Ronaldo is still a world class player who will score many goals this season and will be a fantastic influence on the young players.

However, the team is unbalanced, the centre midfield as you highlighted is mid table at best and the manager is still unconvincing. They won't win anything despite having Ronaldo and maybe the money could have been better spent which is what Man City decided.

Ronaldo won't press from the front so Sancho/Rashford/Greenwood/Martial will need to pick up the slack with that. No point having a world class player if he never has the ball!

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
In one game he put most of the criticisms to bed I’d say. Pogba was very good holding and dictating play and Ronaldo did plenty of running.

Nov 18, 2011
In one game he put most of the criticisms to bed I’d say. Pogba was very good holding and dictating play and Ronaldo did plenty of running.
There'll be tougher tests than Newcastle at home, let's see what happens then.

Steve Bruce's record against Man U as a manager - played 27, won 1, drawn 5, lost 21.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
There'll be tougher tests than Newcastle at home, let's see what happens then.

Steve Bruce's record against Man U as a manager - played 27, won 1, drawn 5, lost 21.
Newcastle actually played quite well I thought. Very fast paced on the ball. Their time wasting was Wycombesque though. Painful in the first half.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
A very fair, complimentary report from Yorkshire Live.

“Let's give credit where credit is due. The Pilgrims were good value for the three points and the final scoreline did not flatter them in the slightest. If anything, Plymouth should have won by a far bigger margin.

Big praise too for Ryan Lowe. The former Wednesday striker got his tactics spot on. His team executed the game plan to a tee.

Their pressing was relentless. They hunted in packs and set traps that Wednesday kept on falling into. They won virtually all the second balls. They looked hungrier and punished the Owls' mistakes.”

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: Emu and Ponty

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
A very fair, complimentary report from Yorkshire Live.

“Let's give credit where credit is due. The Pilgrims were good value for the three points and the final scoreline did not flatter them in the slightest. If anything, Plymouth should have won by a far bigger margin.

Big praise too for Ryan Lowe. The former Wednesday striker got his tactics spot on. His team executed the game plan to a tee.

Their pressing was relentless. They hunted in packs and set traps that Wednesday kept on falling into. They won virtually all the second balls. They looked hungrier and punished the Owls' mistakes.”
Wrong thread, Cobi.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
Poor old Marvyn. He’s had a nightmare.