Council ready to step in to help ... if needs be | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Council ready to step in to help ... if needs be

G

grovehill

Many, many years ago when I went to school, one of the subjects was "English Comprehension" which meant that if you read something you could understand what it meant.

Anyone who reads the link on Page 1 and comes up with the Headline "Council ready to step in to help" would have failed miserably.

The phrases "Looking at options" & "not ruling anything in or out" clearly signifies that no decisions have yet been reached.

Too many people are reading what they want to read and hearing what they want to here about the merits and (unknown) details of the two bids- Bishop International and Akeron Group- for them come to any, fact based, decision.

Oct 25, 2006
Peverell
...This might be a little more useful than said link and headline:

THE council has confirmed it is ready to act if the proposed takeover of Plymouth Argyle collapses.
Lead administrator Brendan Guilfoyle last night insisted acting Pilgrims chairman Peter Ridsdale’s purchase of the club remained on track.
But supporters groups have joined forces with Devon businessman James Brent to form a Rescue Plan in case the £5million-plus deal fails.
They held a second meeting in the city yesterday to discuss the package, which would need the city to buy back the freehold to Argyle’s Home Park stadium.
Plymouth City Council said in a statement that it wished the current deal “every success”.
But it added: “In the unfortunate event that the preferred bid falls away, we are willing to work with others that have plans to support the rescue of the club and explore any options that are developed. We would not rule anything in or out at this stage.”
The statement added: "Plymouth City Council believes that the future of the club needs to be resolved through the administration process, which has identified a preferred bidder.
"We have always stated that we wish that proposal every success and hope that it will bring about a solution that guarantees the long-term survival of the football club and the continuation of professional football within the city.
"We are very clear that we do not wish to undermine the administration and preferred bidder process."
Mr Guilfoyle has already entered a legally-binding sale and purchase agreement with Mr Ridsdale and secretive offshore developers Bishop International Limited.
It will see the Gibraltar-based firm – whose owners are concealed behind nominees – buy Argyle’s ground and other land assets, then sell the club itself to Mr Ridsdale for £1.
But the cash for the deal is not yet in an escrow account, and will not be handed over until the Football League has given the green light.
The governing body – which has the power to block any takeover – must be sure that Truro City Football Club owner Kevin Heaney, the only confirmed member of the Bishop International consortium, will have no influence over Argyle’s finances.
He has been unavailable for comment but met Mr Guilfoyle in Truro on Thursday as the Football League continue to push for full disclosure of the deal’s mystery financiers.
Mr Guilfoyle admitted he still had "no visibility" of those behind the deal, other than its nominees.
“We’re talking regularly and moving things forward all the time,” he said.
But he added: “I have been losing sleep. There is no deal without Football League approval.”
The agreement, understood to expire on August 5, prohibits Mr Guilfoyle from speaking to other bidders.
But he has now provided Rescue Plan members with financial information in case help is needed.
“I’ve always taken [Mr Brent’s] involvement very seriously,” Mr Guilfoyle added. “But hopefully we’ll pursue the better offer to a successful completion.”
Mr Brent tabled a bid for the Greens through his Akkeron Group in March - but always insisted he would not stand in the way of another, credible offer.
He described yesterday’s meeting as “constructive”, but said: “Ultimately, the best solution for the club in my view is Plan A – if it is funded and has the support of the Football League.”
Asked how long a Rescue Plan could take to complete, Mr Brent added: “My non-football experience of administrations is that from the date of all parties reaching agreement on the purchase to closing a transaction has been between two and three weeks.”
Argyle Fans’ Trust chair Chris Webb emphasised the talks were not aimed at rivalling the current bid.
“We are simply seeking to make sure that every possible base is being covered should the preferred bidders not complete,” he said.
“It was a very positive meeting. The determination from all parties remains in place and their commitment has been reaffirmed.”

A

Arch Stanton

SCH":v7rqyii1 said:
1) BG gave PB status to the best offer. Right thing to do.
2) BG can't do anything until 5th August. Legally binding, not his fault.
3) BG is losing sleep. I am not surprised.

Don't blame BG, Ridsdale is behind this whole stinking mess, i hope the rescue plan is needed and i trust that those involved will be straight on the phone to Michael Dunford so that we can get some professionalism back at the top of the club.

No thanks would take Mr Ridsdale over Dunford everytime..

This is what worries me about Plan B.

I have no doubt at all that Jones will be a key figure of the (Brent/Trust) board and due to that fact I cannot see him being prepared to work with Peter Ridsdale.. For me Ridsdale is a key component for whichever bid is successful in the end.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
'When the push comes to the shove' in a full Council Mrs Pengelly's vote is the same number as any other councillor, just a different colour, so to speak.

Peter Jones

R.I.P
Mar 4, 2004
When Vivien Pengelly talks about it being the administrator's responsibility to ensure he has a PB who is capable of completing the deal, I sense a little mild sarcasm.

It appears that it was David Hinchcliffe who provided Mr Guilfoyle with the reassurances and "proof" about the financial power of the "Irish" bid. One wonders whether the "back-to-back" nature of the proposition was fully explained. That is, that the funding was dependent on another, separate deal being successfully concluded within the timeframe.

Interestingly, it was Mr Hinchcliffe (or a colleague at Walker Morris) who advised the administrator - an officer of the court, lest we forget - to deny categorically Heaney's involvement in the process, before the legendary outing at the Holiday Inn. Not terribly clever.

Perhaps Mr Guilfoyle will consider reviewing his legal advisors in time for his next football administration!

Jul 19, 2006
Yorkshire
To me I sense that this bid has fell on its arse now big style

They are all slowly trying to save face

Plymouth City Council could have sorted this much earlier by releasing that statement

If after the meeting Heaney had with council officers after the Holiday Inn ambush this statement had been released I am sure we would have no PB anymore

I suspect Brent may have played a blinder here in getting the club for his valuation as well as getting the supporters on side

O

oggyale

The Council will probably have to face a battle on two fronts within the chambers. 1) The re-purchase of HP and 2) The saving of the airport.

Many rate payers in Plymouth would go for,and demand option two i guess [those that do not support Argyle anyway] if they had a vote on it today,which is understandable.

They would view the airport more important than Argyle.

B

bizzay1

oggyale":13moykax said:

Not if they are on the flightpath, even if they don't support Argyle

Jul 18, 2011
The council will be very reluctant to have anything to do with the bid if they can possibly avoidit. For all the poeple on here saying how important the club is to Plymouth, there will be tens of thousands who couldn't give a monkeys and will object if any council money is invested either directly or indirectly.

Politicians are only interested in votes, and there's not many to be gained from this whole sorry mess.

R

Rupert

edengreen":3fl6l9v6 said:
To me I sense that this bid has fell on its arse now big style

They are all slowly trying to save face

Plymouth City Council could have sorted this much earlier by releasing that statement

If after the meeting Heaney had with council officers after the Holiday Inn ambush this statement had been released I am sure we would have no PB anymore

To be fair, this is not a new message from the Council. They have been telling the preferred bidder for some time that he cannot build what he likes in Central Park. Mrs Pengelly made similar public statements a while ago.

A

Anonymous

oggyale":2w9s2i61 said:
The Council will probably have to face a battle on two fronts within the chambers. 1) The re-purchase of HP and 2) The saving of airport.

Many rate payers in Plymouth would go for,and demand option two i guess [those that do not support Argyle anyway],if they had a vote on it today,which is understandable.

That is an interesting argument. Latterly it is reported that less than 100 passengers a day were using the airport. At that level it is something much less than 40,000 per annum. (If Argyle attracted only 5,000 per game next season that will be over 600,000 persons visiting Home Park). It is no wonder with its short runway and inability to accommodate even the smallest of jets that its future remains bleak, particularly with an international airport capable of handling jumbo jets is only 40 mins way.

I would venture to suggest that in news terms the closure of the airport would barely raise a mention in the national media. It would make headlines on Spotlight / Westcountry and the WM and that would be it. However, if Plymouth Argyle ceased to be I wager to suggest that it would be on the national news, across the back pages of the national media and the focus of the familiar top line football journalists. The failure of a well known and loved football club would be big news and damaging with the handprint of failure being associated with Plymouth and the Council knows it. What's more it can play a role in ensuring its survival which is more than they can do with the airport short of running an airline itself.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
I think GC is spot on with his remarks. I have always felt that Plymouth is particularly unfortunate that its' Airport is ill positioned and limited. I first flew to the Channel Islands from there circa 1971 and at least it has moved on from a grass runway, but, it cannot take large aircraft who need a long runway, as is available at both Newquay and Exeter.

It is not as if there is a huge tradition attached to the Airport. Remember, when Home Park first started as a football pitch, Plymouth Airport was still grazing Freisan cattle or Devon Longwool sheep.