Could Stapleton be involved?? | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Could Stapleton be involved??

A

Andy_Lannie

xmastree":1t0ntfxe said:
oggyale":1t0ntfxe said:
The meltdown at Argyle started with the selling of the team Holloway had. We could have done a Blackpool.

We could have, yes. However we lost a lot of money in the year prior to that, and had we not done a Blackpool our decline could have accelerated. We will never know.

Accelerated ? we couldn't have fallen any faster than we did. Remember he took his eye off the ball when property became more important than football. The decline started when Foot and Jones left and the one remaining board member who knew what was happening could persuade the others to concentrate on the footy, he left as well.

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
Andy_Lannie":2jyfz0bq said:
xmastree":2jyfz0bq said:
oggyale":2jyfz0bq said:
The meltdown at Argyle started with the selling of the team Holloway had. We could have done a Blackpool.

We could have, yes. However we lost a lot of money in the year prior to that, and had we not done a Blackpool our decline could have accelerated. We will never know.
Accelerated ? we couldn't have fallen any faster than we did. Remember he took his eye off the ball when property became more important than football. The decline started when Foot and Jones left and the one remaining board member who knew what was happening could persuade the others to concentrate on the footy, he left as well.
Exactly. After overseeing the exit of our manager and selling our best players, it's a good job that he gave Sturrock so much money to spend on dross and committed the club to a mortgage for seemingly no benefit what so ever.. isn't it?

Nov 12, 2003
Why didn't the prominent loudmouths here on PASOTI try and become chairman ? The answer is because you don't have the financial resources, the character, or the ability.

Paul Stapleton tried his best. He achieved a new stadium and two league championships in 8 years. Try and beat that.

You think he did it for the money ? Show me the evidence.

Apr 4, 2004
lunarjetman":sbfrds5p said:
Why didn't the prominent loudmouths here on PASOTI try and become chairman ? The answer is because you don't have the financial resources, the character, or the ability.

Paul Stapleton tried his best. He achieved a new stadium and two league championships in 8 years. Try and beat that.

Mcauley built the stadium.
Stapleton sold the team and pursued property along with the NWO that he introduced. He may be a green but he messed up big time.

A

Anonymous

lunarjetman":1apcfhvz said:

I agree with that sentiment.

However, his gross negligence and naivety in the last couple of years means he deserves every bit of stick he gets!

Mike Greening

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 2, 2008
ming the merciless":34k5ivzm said:
lunarjetman":34k5ivzm said:

Stapleton sold the team and pursued property along with the NWO that he introduced. He may be a green but he messed up big time.

EH, I have a feeling that PCC built the stadium. :mrgreen: :stout:

Dec 29, 2010
The last time i looked the stadium was 3/4 complete. Crucially, the most important piece was shelved for a later date.
The bit about Stapleton achieving two championships is a bit like saying Tiger Woods caddie won all those majors.
And no, he didn't do it for the money.But he sure as hell was, come the end.

Y2J

Dec 28, 2004
Cornwall
mikey":1e8qhhmg said:

I can't remember how much, but I'm fairly sure that McCauley provided some funding for the 2000-01 build.

Stapleton deserves everything he gets for taking his eye off the ball and allowing our meltdown to happen. Buggering off to Dubai when we had just gone into administration and our staff were working without pay was the last straw. He gets no sympathy from me.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
mikey":2wiras7p said:
ming the merciless":2wiras7p said:
lunarjetman":2wiras7p said:

Do not forget the massive Football League grants towards the modernisation of the Stadium.

G

Greenskin

lunarjetman":2sfmd1ot said:

So,because you don't have the financial resources,character or ability,this automatically precludes you from critical comment on any person who does? Have you ever been critical of a politician or indeed,a local councillor-i seem to remember you launching an inaccurate diatribe against PCC not so long ago. That would seem to contradict your argument,unless you employ double standards to suit your own point of view.Stapleton was part of the progressive club that achieved great things in the early 2000's and due respect to him for that.He was also a major player in the failure to back Pulis or Holloway properly,the break up of our best squad in decades,the reluctance to seek investment at the right time and a supporter of the pie in the sky policies implemented by the new world,which have been largely responsible for leaving the club in a far worse position than when McCauley was running the show.

Nov 12, 2003
Greenskin":32na4c20 said:
So,because you don't have the financial resources,character or ability,this automatically precludes you from critical comment on any person who does? Have you ever been critical of a politician or indeed,a local councillor-i seem to remember you launching an inaccurate diatribe against PCC not so long ago. That would seem to contradict your argument,unless you employ double standards to suit your own point of view.Stapleton was part of the progressive club that achieved great things in the early 2000's and due respect to him for that.He was also a major player in the failure to back Pulis or Holloway properly,the break up of our best squad in decades,the reluctance to seek investment at the right time and a supporter of the pie in the sky policies implemented by the new world,which have been largely responsible for leaving the club in a far worse position than when McCauley was running the show.

My point is that there are very few people out there who are actually prepared to be Plymouth Argyle chairman. It's all very well criticising Paul Stapleton but he is a real person, like you and me, and I'm sure he did his best to run the club. Everyone makes mistakes and he's by no means the worst chairman of recent years. Those who critisise the loudest are not people in a realistic position to become chairman of a football club. Give the bloke a break.

And yes I did critise the Council. Not the employees who work there under difficult circumstances (some of whom are very good at their jobs) but the councillors. Some of them have big mouths and small brains and unfortunately have more influence in this city than is healthy. They also waste a lot of taxpayers money which i would rather see being paid to the PCC staff or on providing facilities for the public. And no I don't work for them myself !