• Welcome to PASOTI (Sponsored by GA Solictors and Lang & Potter)
  • Hello guests - don't forget that by registering and signing up for Pasoti you'll see less adverts plus receive extras like free match tickets, taking part in polls, joining in the chat room and more. Come and join us!

Coronavirus (merged threads)

Jun 28, 2011
Plymouth
So, you don’t need a mask in a pub, restaurant or watch a football match jammed together with 15000 football supporters for 2 hours but need one to buy a pint of milk.

Sep 25, 2010
To me, a pub or a restaurant is a ‘retail’, setting.

So, people who has some sort of responsibility, should wear one, on entry. And still use a mask when moving around such a place.

Frank Butcher

Foodbank Donor
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Has to be approved by Parliament although what Johnson announced only applies to England.
England will still have less restrictions than Scotland as up there they never removed the mandatory wearing of face coverings in all indoor public settings including pubs and restaurants. They also require the use of Covid passes to enter sport and other venues.
Perhaps that’s why they have the lowest infection rate of the 4 UK nations.

True - but Scotland’s case rate was over twice as high as England some 6 weeks after the latter’s restrictions were eased, so struggling for correlation there.

Must say though, having been up here for 3 months now it’s weird to think of walking into any public indoor space without a mask.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Someone pointed out to me today that Omicron is an anagram of moronic...
The best political anagram I remember was for a minister in Maggie Thatcher & John Major's governments called Virginia Bottomley (she's in the Lords now apparently) ....... her name is an anagram of I'M AN EVIL TORY BIGOT ...... still makes me laugh 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: ninjamissile
Nov 15, 2011
Virginia Bottomley married to MP Sir Peter Bottomley who voted against maintaining the £20 pw Universal Credit uplift but said it was "desperately difficult" to survive on £82k adding the salary (plus expenses) was "really grim".

Sep 25, 2010
Virginia Bottomley married to MP Sir Peter Bottomley who voted against maintaining the £20 pw Universal Credit uplift but said it was "desperately difficult" to survive on £82k adding the salary (plus expenses) was "really grim".
So, the analogy, is quite perfect then.

Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
There's been some chatter over the last 24/48 hours that this omnicron variant, although apparently more transmissible, is about as severe as a common cold, according to one South African doctor. This would be good if true, but - and I only found this out yesterday - the average age of a person in South Africa is only 28, compared with 38.5 for the US, 40.6 for the UK, or 48.6 for Japan (the oldest average age of any nation, bar Monaco). We know that age plays an important factor in determining the severity of how ill someone gets with Covid, so we'll wait and see as to how bad - or mild - this variant is when/if it takes hold over here.

Dec 27, 2004
Bidford on Avon
There's been some chatter over the last 24/48 hours that this omnicron variant, although apparently more transmissible, is about as severe as a common cold, according to one South African doctor. This would be good if true, but - and I only found this out yesterday - the average age of a person in South Africa is only 28, compared with 38.5 for the US, 40.6 for the UK, or 48.6 for Japan (the oldest average age of any nation, bar Monaco). We know that age plays an important factor in determining the severity of how ill someone gets with Covid, so we'll wait and see as to how bad - or mild - this variant is when/if it takes hold over here.
Answered my own question thanks Quinny

I did wonder with every variant being more transmissible and deadly, would there be one that was potentially less impacting.

The constant linear relationship of infectiousness and constantly worsening impact seemed strange.

I'm not a virologist, but that did seem strange.

Hopefully the world may have caught a lucky break 🙏

On a field test today in a coffee shop the barista and me were the only ones wearing masks, with people saying "oh I'm not sure what we do now"

The decision to stop wearing them in enclosed spaces was rank stupidity at its finest.

How many needless infections and deaths have occurred due to this simple measure being scrapped?

Even now not needed in a pub restaurant when moving around 🤦‍♂️

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Yes, age, obesity and physical fitness are all known major factors in the severity of the infection and makes comparisons between us and South Africa potentially quite misleading. Fingers crossed it won't be serious but a proportionate increase in simple preventative measures like mask wearing is a bloody obvious response until we know for sure.

Willis88

50/50 Sponsor
Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
Isn't this effectively how the Spanish flu ended? Turned into something more mild.

I heard somewhere that it is still around, just one of the normal seasonal flus that come each year.