• Welcome to PASOTI (Sponsored by GA Solictors and Lang & Potter)
  • Hello guests - don't forget that by registering and signing up for Pasoti you'll see less adverts plus receive extras like free match tickets, taking part in polls, joining in the chat room and more. Come and join us!

Coronavirus (merged threads)

Frank Butcher

Foodbank Donor
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
This is very interesting. The Spectator has looked back at SAGE predictions, including amongst others, from July reopening. Regardless of what any of us may think, this is a real world example of the data that the government is being presented with and making decisions upon - and why it is so hard to do.

Of course it’s difficult to predict anything with Covid, some of the public behavioural traits cannot be baked in for example. But most of them are such a way off reality - and pessimistic - I wonder if is this playing into the perceived inaction of government today?

Spectator - SAGE Scenarios

For balance a member of SAGE defends their modelling here:

Spectator - In Defence of SAGE Modelling

And, IMO, that’s completely fair.

But it doesn't take away from the fact that the majority of models are demonstrated to be overly pessimistic. And so he question arises, is this creating a lack of faith in the scientific community from within government?

Reactions: Greenrod and KeithB
Dec 27, 2004
Bidford on Avon
If ever a copied picture said "I'm too lazy to write or think anything for myself anymore".
Not sure about your point?

In longhand in case it wasn't obvious.

Despite the mood music we're in another slow-motion car crash situation - again.

I thought this was a general opinions board?

If we have to do 1000 word essays that are peer assessed it will be pretty dull.

The picture captured things better than any amount of prose ever could.

If you don't like it, fine, but if you can't laugh at the absurdity of our self-inflicted situation through pathetic leadership then you'd be pretty annoyed.

Personally I prefer the odd lazy cartoon and a but of humour.

Always look on the bright side of life . .....🎶

Nov 15, 2011
If ever a copied picture said "I'm too lazy to write or think anything for myself anymore".

Well that was a vital contribution to the Coronavirus debate Guiri and definitely not someone too lazy to write or think anything for himself anymore about the subject under discussion.:oops:

So does Javid really intend to stop the unvaccinated working in Social Care and then the NHS? We're talking 10s of thousands of people in sectors that are on their knees. Maybe he's hoping that the threat will encourage most people and then a requirement of daily testing for those still refusing will get most other people over the line?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
**NOTE**

I haven't seen anything Anti Vax on here for a few weeks but just a reminder to anyone that feels tempted. If anyone does, it will be binned.

Debate is fine, spouting dangerous views is another thing altogether.

Reactions: Old Gunner

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
Kate Sponsor
Lowey Sponsor
50/50 Sponsor
Pasoti Donor
T.O Support
Sep 15, 2003
Let me get this right.

What you're all saying is that the UK Government has been slow in delivering a mask mandate...correct?

So, had Boris & Co. done so, let's say 2 months ago, do you think that the great British public would have "obeyed" and worn a mask?

I don't think so somehow. There would have been mass demonstrations all over the country, because it's "against my human rights".

It doesn't matter a jot what any government does, or doesn't do...they are damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Willis88

50/50 Sponsor
Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
Doing something is better than doing nothing though.

Those who feel their liberties are being impeded by being asked to wear a strip of cloth over their mouths to stop infection can demonstrate as much as they want.

I bet there is a substantially greater number of people who are just forgetful and will remember their masks when told they need to wear them.

It's been very clear for the last 6 or so years that you can't rely on British Common sense.

Reactions: Pilgrim Joe
May 8, 2011
Let me get this right.

What you're all saying is that the UK Government has been slow in delivering a mask mandate...correct?

So, had Boris & Co. done so, let's say 2 months ago, do you think that the great British public would have "obeyed" and worn a mask?

I don't think so somehow. There would have been mass demonstrations all over the country, because it's "against my human rights".

It doesn't matter a jot what any government does, or doesn't do...they are damned if they do, damned if they don't.
There hasn’t been widespread or reported anti mask demonstrations in the other 3 nations of the UK where face coverings are still legally required to be worn, in most indoor public areas, in Scotland even in pubs and restaurants when not seated.

Nov 15, 2011
Let me get this right.

Garbage, the public has been very good in following the rules and if they had to wear a mask to go into a shop of course they would, they did it before for heaven’s sake.

The government are damned because there’s no clarity no leadership. Just look at the number of cases and deaths in any comparable country in Europe if you are in any doubt.

A few more tories were wearing masks in parliament today, maybe they have worked out that Mogg wasn’t giving the correct medical advice when he said they’re not required when tories know each other. Or maybe it was the Tory mp who has gone down with Covid. But how many more of our friends and family have to die before they pretend to give a toss.

Reactions: Pilgrim Joe
Sep 6, 2006
Let me get this right.

What a load of nonsense. You make it up as you go along without any evidence. The Government sets the tone. Not everyone follows it but most do. So where have you been when the vast majority have been wearing masks?

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
Kate Sponsor
Lowey Sponsor
50/50 Sponsor
Pasoti Donor
T.O Support
Sep 15, 2003
Garbage? Nonsense? Really? Others obviously agree with what I posted.

Ok, I will concede that during these times, Westminster is no longer classed as the UK Parliament but the English Government.

Either way, are you denying that there have been some major, and I mean major, demonstrations with regard to the wearing of masks and the various mandates that have been promulgated by Boris & Co.?

How about the Westfield Mall in May? Such was the demonstration that the Mall was closed. Not a mask in sight from the "protesters".

Or maybe London in both April and May? Thousands...no, tens of thousands "protesting" through London...Oxford Street was closed because of it.

Are you denying that they occurred? I can, of course, post links to various news videos should you require proof.

Are you saying that had Boris made an announcement earlier that the good English public would have "done as they were told" and wore masks, or would London and other major cities have been "invaded" by "protesters", claiming their human rights. Oh, in one of the videos, there was great stead put on the "fact" that being forced to wear a mask impinged on their human rights.

Or are you happy enough to just bury your heads in the sand and pretend that it doesn't happen?

May 8, 2011

Ok, I will concede that during these times, Westminster is no longer classed as the UK Parliament but the English Government.

Either way, are you denying that there have been some major, and I mean major, demonstrations with regard to the wearing of masks and the various mandates that have been promulgated by Boris & Co.?

How about the Westfield Mall in May? Such was the demonstration that the Mall was closed. Not a mask in sight from the "protesters".

Or maybe London in both April and May? Thousands...no, tens of thousands "protesting" through London...Oxford Street was closed because of it.

Are you denying that they occurred? I can, of course, post links to various news videos should you require proof.

Are you saying that had Boris made an announcement earlier that the good English public would have "done as they were told" and wore masks, or would London and other major cities have been "invaded" by "protesters", claiming their human rights. Oh, in one of the videos, there was great stead put on the "fact" that being forced to wear a mask impinged on their human rights.

Or are you happy enough to just bury your heads in the sand and pretend that it doesn't happen?
Masks are still compulsory on London transport and from my trips to London recently seems to be widely observed without much complaint.

Nov 15, 2011

I don’t have any idea what you are trying to say other than there’s a few idiots about.

When masks were compulsory in certain settings eg supermarkets, almost everyone wore them with no problem as is still the case in most of Europe now.

Of course there’s a few attention seeking half wits who think their fweedom is under attack, some people still refuse to wear a seatbelt, nothing a hefty fine wouldn’t sort out.

But if the government sends out the message that it’s all over through the rules and it’s own example what do you expect people to think?