• Welcome to PASOTI (Sponsored by GA Solictors and Lang & Potter)

Coronavirus (merged threads)

Nov 15, 2011
As I said previously BG, just my experience of working in the health sector for 26 years. It’s the way people of a clinical background operate - would never kowtow to a manager/director or PM trying to tell them how to do their job. If they didn’t agree they’d walk IMO.
No ones telling anyone how to do their job or kowtowing to anybody. They're giving their expert advice and various scenarios and the Government decides what to do taking many other factors into account eg the economy, logistical issues etc

I advise clients on tax efficient measures and if they decide to buy a new car instead that's their lookout. They're not going to give up their jobs up as the most pre-eminent medical advisers in the country because they don't agree the direction taken. They will however, as any professional will do, clearly document their conclusions and advice.

Reactions: Pilgrim Joe
Nov 15, 2011
Got anything else related to COVID from 10 years ago ?
No Guiri, Covid 19 wasn't about then, but here's Mogg on facemasks "Mogg has said tory MPs don't have to wear facemasks in Parliament (even though it's Government guidance) because they "regularly meet other MPs" and if Labour MPs "worked a bit harder" they wouldn't have to wear them either."

Have you got anything else related on Covid to say?

Sep 6, 2006
As I said previously BG, just my experience of working in the health sector for 26 years. It’s the way people of a clinical background operate - would never kowtow to a manager/director or PM trying to tell them how to do their job. If they didn’t agree they’d walk IMO.
Seems a bit naive. Would think they would hope to have more influence from within than from without. How does Fauci with Trump fit to that narrative then?

Oct 9, 2003
Aberdeen
Seems a bit naive. Would think they would hope to have more influence from within than from without. How does Fauci with Trump fit to that narrative then?
Quite well I think. Faucci was frequently quite openly and publicly at odds with Trump from my recollection. I haven’t seen anything similar from Whitty and co.

Nov 15, 2011
As far as I could see Faucci was very similar to whitty and van tam, always being professional and stressing his role was medical and apolitical.

when trump came up with his insane stuff, eg injecting bleach faucci tactfully said there was no evidence to support it. In the end trump turned on him cos he wouldn’t support him leading up to the election.

Oct 9, 2003
Aberdeen
Any examples?
Not specifically off the top of my head - as I say it was recollection Of the way he operated. This article reviewing an upcoming film about the man was published today. It seems to recall it the same way - Fauci continually pushing back on Trump’s support for whacky, dangerous treatments and anti-vaxers.
Grauniad

Now you may argue Fauci never walked and that would be true, but have you ever seen Whitty, Vallance, Van Tam or Powis for example do something similar in any briefings?

Sep 6, 2006
Not specifically off the top of my head - as I say it was recollection Of the way he operated. This article reviewing an upcoming film about the man was published today. It seems to recall it the same way - Fauci continually pushing back on Trump’s support for whacky, dangerous treatments and anti-vaxers.
Grauniad

Now you may argue Fauci never walked and that would be true, but have you ever seen Whitty, Vallance, Van Tam or Powis for example do something similar in any briefings?
I don't remember him standing up to Trump and you have no examples..

Nov 15, 2011
I’ve read that before, Fauci was very circumspect throughout even to trumps lunatic ideas.

Trump eventually resorted to childish abuse but exactly as Whitty and Van Tam , Fauci reiterated time and again that he gave medical opinion and it was up to trump what he did with it. The only difference is Trumps infantile bonkers reactions.

I’m not sure what any of this proves. Tam and Whitty advised and the government sometimes followed the advice and sometimes to a greater or lesser extent didn’t. Their responsibility is for the advice not the decisions. They are clever guys and will have known what Johnson is from the very beginning when he boasted about shaking hands with Covid patients against their specific advice. They have managed him as best they can.

The Doctor

Lowey Sponsor
Sep 15, 2003
Whitty and Van Tam have stated on many occasions that they advise and politicians decide, it's not within their remit to get involved in political decisions or how and whether their advice is taken up. I'm sure they have retained details of all their advice for any future enquiry.
And I think this is the reason why even if they didn't feel their advice was being followed they would not resign as to do so would immediately be portrayed as them taking a political stance, overstepping their remit etc. They also may well not resign because they know that if they did their places would be taken by people who were more pliable to Government interference. The may well judge that even if their advice is being ignored it is better that they are still in a position to provide it than for the Government to be advised by less scrupulous individuals.

Reactions: Pilgrim Joe
Dec 27, 2004
Bidford on Avon

Prof Reicher told Sky News's Trevor Phillips on Sunday programme that instead of improving a "dysfunctional" system of travel restrictions, the government had decided to abandon it.

He said: "We had a dysfunctional system - because of all the mess around getting PCR tests, all the different companies charging absurd rates and not providing us with a good service and so on - and they've responded, not by improving the system but by abandoning it entirely... that's a pity.

Following the science ...... or abandoning it 🤔😔