• Welcome to PASOTI (Sponsored by GA Solictors and Lang & Potter)
  • Hello guests - don't forget that by registering and signing up for Pasoti you'll see less adverts plus receive extras like free match tickets, taking part in polls, joining in the chat room and more. Come and join us!

Coronavirus (merged threads)

MickyD

Pasoti Donor
Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
I had a rather eye-opening experience last night. One of our next door neighbours is, not to mince words, a loud-mouthed, drunken yob, and he frequently had like-minded friends come round during the heaviest lockdowns for get-togethers in the patio garden outside his basement flat, totally ignoring all the mandates. (These days they seem to be round every other bleedin' night.)

When I'm sitting out in the garden minding my own business I often can't help but overhear his loud conversations, either with someone in person or over the phone, and that was the case last night. On the phone, he started banging on animatedly about the giant German pharmaceutical companies IG Farben and Bayer (the former of which doesn't even exist any more), and how they were responsible for gassing the Jews in the Nazi death camps. (IG Farben manufactured the hydrogen cyanide, known as Zyklon B, used in the gas chambers.) "Human experiments! Human experiments!" Well, not the same thing, and no mention of Josef Mengele, but hey. He'd never struck me as the type who'd know such things, much less care, so I was thinking: Hmm, maybe I've misjudged him.

No such luck. He then started ranting on about the French Covid passport, and how the French were apparently burning their country down in protest, and how the revolution was coming. See, this sissy vaccination drive - this human experiment! - is exactly the same as the Nazis killing millions of Jews, Gypsies, gays, Slavs, dissidents and the rest on a horrific industrial scale in the death camps.

This is the trouble: those people wantonly spreading disinformation can easily throw in a few real-life references that make them sound intelligent and well-informed, so that ignorant thickos like my neighbour can pick up on them and think: Ooh, if they know that kind of stuff then they’re obviously intelligent and well-informed – there must be something in that, then. Also, if I parrot their words, throwing in those real-world buzzwords and that tiny smattering of knowledge, I’ll also sound far more intelligent and well-informed than I really am, and people will take me seriously.

And so it goes on. And on.

• Sad
Reactions: Pilgrim Joe
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
Also, if I parrot their words, throwing in those real-world buzzwords and that tiny smattering of knowledge, I’ll also sound far more intelligent and well-informed than I really am, and people will take me seriously.

And so it goes on. And on.
That reminds me of Kevin Kline's character Otto in A Fish Called Wanda who really isn't very clever, but thinks he is because he reads philosophy. Wanda calls him out by saying there's a difference between reading and understanding.

Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
BTW - I think Chris Whitty commented on his concern on rising cases - I wouldn't be at all surprised if restrictions are reintroduced in 4 - 5 weeks. Masks being mandated could be sooner than that. But that'll probably be too late to help the NHS. If only the Government had been through this once or twice before in the last 18 months....

MickyD

Pasoti Donor
Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
BTW - I think Chris Whitty commented on his concern on rising cases - I wouldn't be at all surprised if restrictions are reintroduced in 4 - 5 weeks. Masks being mandated could be sooner than that. But that'll probably be too late to help the NHS. If only the Government had been through this once or twice before in the last 18 months....
Yes, poor poppets - they're trying their very bestest in the face of this highly transmissible new virus that's appeared completely out of the blue with absolutely no warning.

And on the anti-vax mentality: I read this morning that 99.6% of all new cases in the US are people who are unvaccinated. You know, the Darwin Awards keep coming to mind...

• Haha
Jan 7, 2007
Plymouth
News out this morning that the PM and Co have decided they can still see people in a daily contact pilot despite being told by test and trace to isolate.

Boris Johnson escapes need to quarantine after meeting with Sajid Javid

also known as "one rule for you, one rule for us".

Once again undermining the whole effort and giving people an excuse to ignore the rules.
Yep, cue millions uninstalling the "test & trace" app. Pilot scheme my @rse. Who votes for these crooks?

Willis88

50/50 Sponsor
Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey

Breaking: Oh no he's not !
Haha who advises these people?

Clearly heard of the backlash and changed their minds.

All about changing plans to go with what's most popular at the moment.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I think Andrew Marr had something to do with this he was like a dog with a bone this morning.

Silly thing to try to do.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
The rather wicked side of me is really enjoying this….. it’s a complete farce and quite funny if you ignore the awful reality and just indulge in the sheer black humour of it all …. If you meet someone you haven’t seen for a while then as a conversation starter it’s much more entertaining than chatting about the weather – it’s guaranteed to get you both having a chuckle and shaking your heads together or having a shared mini-rant as you swap examples of absurdities and glaring inconsistencies coming daily from our leaders. The Matt Lucas skit of Boris is spot on – “wear a mask! but don’t wear a mask!.....you can safely return to work! but don’t return to work!.........you can go on holiday! but please don’t go on holiday! …..if you came in contact with someone with covid you must isolate! but you don’t have to isolate!”

The France thing is another classic ….. From what I gather (and I admit I haven’t paid full attention) but the government have now put France on the ‘amber-plus’ list of countries (not that they’re calling it that) because they said the ‘beta variant’ has gone up in France. That might make some sense except (apparently) it hasn’t actually gone up in France at all – just on a French island somewhere in the Indian ocean 😄....... Cue outrage from the French government, airlines, travel industry, passengers and even the Daily Mail. Priceless! This at the very same time when they're declaring a 'freedom day' in the face of rapidly rising infections relaxing mandatory precautions against virtually all advice, and polls show most people are against it. Now it’s rumoured they may have to put other countries into ‘amber-plus’ or admit their balls-up and have another u-turn...... You've got to laugh haven't you....

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
The France thing is another classic ….. From what I gather (and I admit I haven’t paid full attention) but the government have now put France on the ‘amber-plus’ list of countries (not that they’re calling it that) because they said the ‘beta variant’ has gone up in France. That might make some sense except (apparently) it hasn’t actually gone up in France at all – just on a French island somewhere in the Indian ocean 😄....... Cue outrage from the French government, airlines, travel industry, passengers and even the Daily Mail. Priceless! Now it’s rumoured they may have to put other countries into ‘amber-plus’ or admit their balls-up and have another u-turn...... You've got to laugh haven't you....

The island is Reunion, and the really funny bit is that anyone travelling from Reunion to the UK doesn't have to self-isolate.

Andy Tall

NHS Volunteer Supporter
Sep 23, 2003
location, location.
The rather wicked side of me is really enjoying this….. it’s a complete farce and quite funny if you ignore the awful reality and just indulge in the sheer black humour of it all …. If you meet someone you haven’t seen for a while then as a conversation starter it’s much more entertaining than chatting about the weather – it’s guaranteed to get you both having a chuckle and shaking your heads together or having a shared mini-rant as you swap examples of absurdities and glaring inconsistencies coming daily from our leaders. The Matt Lucas skit of Boris is spot on – “wear a mask! but don’t wear a mask!.....you can safely return to work! but don’t return to work!.........you can go on holiday! but please don’t go on holiday! …..if you came in contact with someone with covid you must isolate! but you don’t have to isolate!”

The France thing is another classic ….. From what I gather (and I admit I haven’t paid full attention) but the government have now put France on the ‘amber-plus’ list of countries (not that they’re calling it that) because they said the ‘beta variant’ has gone up in France. That might make some sense except (apparently) it hasn’t actually gone up in France at all – just on a French island somewhere in the Indian ocean 😄....... Cue outrage from the French government, airlines, travel industry, passengers and even the Daily Mail. Priceless! This at the very same time when they're declaring a 'freedom day' in the face of rapidly rising infections relaxing mandatory precautions against virtually all advice, and polls show most people are against it. Now it’s rumoured they may have to put other countries into ‘amber-plus’ or admit their balls-up and have another u-turn...... You've got to laugh haven't you....

I think with the rapid rise of infection and the prevalence of the Delta variant, along with the evidence that double vaccination reduces not eliminates the risk of transmission, a large number of countries will put the UK on their equivalent of the amber plus or red lists (especially countries where the vaccination drive has not broken the link between case numbers and hospitalisations/deaths).

Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
I see it's just been announced that covid "passports" will be compulsory for entry into nightclubs and other "crowded venues" from September.

Andy Tall

NHS Volunteer Supporter
Sep 23, 2003
location, location.
I think with the rapid rise of infection and the prevalence of the Delta variant, along with the evidence that double vaccination reduces not eliminates the risk of transmission, a large number of countries will put the UK on their equivalent of the amber plus or red lists (especially countries where the vaccination drive has not broken the link between case numbers and hospitalisations/deaths).
QED