• Welcome to PASOTI (Sponsored by GA Solictors and Lang & Potter)
  • Hello guests - don't forget that by registering and signing up for Pasoti you'll see less adverts plus receive extras like free match tickets, taking part in polls, joining in the chat room and more. Come and join us!

Coronavirus (merged threads)

May 16, 2016
themightykeithfear":14mficau said:
They are 2-4 weeks behind the U.K. in most European countries but all older and vulnerable people have had at least the first jab.

The worrying statistic is new cases today

U.K. 7,738 and going up
France 3,972
Italy 1725
Germany 679

And all going down.

If people aren’t getting infected the vaccination numbers aren’t so important. Only in the U.K. are cases going up because Johnson waved the Indian variant in.

Like you said, 2-4 weeks behind the UK.

Nov 15, 2011
Yes 2-4 weeks behind the U.K.

But remember the U.K. still has the highest deaths in Europe and was hit harder economically than any other developed country in the world because of government incompetence over lockdowns. A 9.9% drop in GDP. The vaccine rollout was superb but essentially an injury time consolation goal in a 4-1 defeat.

And now whereas new cases in the U.K. are rising, in Europe they are falling. Over 90% of cases in the U.K. are the Indian variant which Johnson invited in because he wanted to grandstand with Modi. The Indian variant is much more transmissible and the vaccine is only 60% effective against it.

So here we go again and some people still defend the indefensible because…… I’ve run out of theories.

May 16, 2016
"One dose of either the Pfizer or AstraZeneca vaccine is just 33% effective in preventing a symptomatic infection from the delta variant first reported in India.

The second dose raises the protection provided by the Pfizer vaccine to 88% and the AZ vaccine to at least 60%."

Just lifted that from Sky.

Having arrived recently in Spain with nothing more than a scan of their health app, a stamp in my current EU passport no interrogation. I jumped into my hire car - no driving permit required- then made my way to where I am now. I could be carrying any number of viruses, but being responsible for my own actions, I've brought several weeks worth of lateral flow tests with me. Who do I blame if I infect someone?

I'm off now for a walk along a beach, masked up as are everyone else, no moaning, no pointing fingers, just getting on with life with whatever restrictions are in force. After lunch I'm meeting friends from the seniors football club I play with to watch the England game. We've only recently stopped playing with masks on.

Sensible, compliant, no hassles, life's good without blinkers and clouds. Take some responsibility as an individual.

Nov 15, 2011
Agreed those figures are incredibly worrying, the AZ vaccine may not work on 40% of cases, which I've had.

Jealous of you on the beach in Spain, I've applied for my Irish passport that's where I'm heading eventually.

Personal responsibility is of course essential, but is it too much to ask for competence, clarity and leadership from those in charge? Just imagine if Johnson had put India on the red list when everyone told him too. The fact is he thought more of a jolly in India than the health and welfare of the British people.

Dec 27, 2004
Bidford on Avon
themightykeithfear":119stvtr said:
Personal responsibility is of course essential, but is it too much to ask for competence, clarity and leadership from those in charge? Just imagine if Johnson had put India on the red list when everyone told him too. The fact is he thought more of a jolly in India than the health and welfare of the British people.

Elect a :party: and you get a circus sadly

Not a party thing - look at what he does, to what he says.

A total incompetent fool.

Never following the science and we are all paying dearly for it.

In a word - PRAT!

Nov 15, 2011
Doesn't matter how many people have been vaccinated if it only protects you 30% for one jab and 60% for both as is the case with the Indian variant that Johnson waved into the country.

Dec 27, 2004
Bidford on Avon
Well done Boris you truly are without equal in the field of incompetence

To keep doing the same thing and expecting different results is the definition of Insanity.

4 out of 4 for dither and delay. No hindsight required, maybe a bit of foresight and common sense though.

I feel sorry for all the businesses that will go to the wall now due to his inability to follow the science and make a decision :sigh:

Dither, dither, dither, dither, Pratman

May 16, 2016
Yet back in February.....

"Prime Minister Boris Johnson told MPs the plan aimed to be "cautious but irreversible" and at every stage decisions would be led by "data not dates".

"It requires four tests on vaccines, infection rates and new coronavirus variants to be met at each stage."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-56158405

There may well have been a better way of controlling the spread of the new variant, but for anyone pinning your lives on June 21st......you shouldn't have. They've been clear all along that it might change.

Now, if more people had stuck to the guidelines, we may have have reduced the spread of the variant as the vaccine roll out reached a wider spread of people.

Personal responsibility.

Nov 15, 2011
What on earth has that got to do with the 3 week delay in April in putting India on the red list when we could see the new variant infecting hundreds of thousands of people there , and many were pleading with Johnson to act quickly. He ignored them.

We can take as much personal responsibility as we like but when the person in charge doesn’t even understand the concept of personal responsibility and has never taken responsibility for anything in his entire life it makes little difference.

Dec 27, 2004
Bidford on Avon
Guiri Green":ft8azhe4 said:

"Prime Minister Boris Johnson told MPs the plan aimed to be "cautious but irreversible" and at every stage decisions would be led by "data not dates".

"It requires four tests on vaccines, infection rates and new coronavirus variants to be met at each stage."

There may well have been a better way of controlling the spread of the new variant, but for anyone pinning your lives on June 21st......you shouldn't have. They've been clear all along that it might change.

Now, if more people had stuck to the guidelines, we may have have reduced the spread of the variant as the vaccine roll out reached a wider spread of people.

Personal responsibility.

Sorry have to disagree - this is entirely down to him sitting on his hands again.

For 3 weeks.

However people try and spin this he is solely responsible this time.

Captain no sight

Dec 27, 2004
Bidford on Avon
themightykeithfear":2ii0yuiy said:
What on earth has that got to do with the 3 week delay in April in putting India on the red list when we could see the new variant infecting hundreds of thousands of people there , and many were pleading with Johnson to act quickly. He ignored them.

We can take as much personal responsibility as we like but when the person in charge doesn’t even understand the concept of personal responsibility and has never taken responsibility for anything in his entire life it makes little difference.

:clap: Time for Boris to go.

He is incapable of taking advice or acting in anything other than his own interest :facepalm:

Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
Guiri Green":3jbk308p said:

Personal responsibility.

The issue regarding the spread of the delta variant was that the indicators were there back in the first week of April when Pakistan and Bangladesh were both added to the red list due to the surge of cases which had spread from India ... but the Govt held off for some reason from imposing the same measure on India itself. That Boris was due to go to India at that same time to negotiate a trade deal was, I'm sure we can all agree, a complete coincidence.

Dec 27, 2004
Bidford on Avon
Quinny":2ietolni said:
Guiri Green":2ietolni said:

Personal responsibility.

The issue regarding the spread of the delta variant was that the indicators were there back in the first week of April when Pakistan and Bangladesh were both added to the red list due to the surge of cases which had spread from India ... but the Govt held off for some reason from imposing the same measure on India itself. That Boris was due to go to India at that same time to negotiate a trade deal was, I'm sure we can all agree, a complete coincidence.

:think:

On the same vein - why delay the announcement until 6pm tonight?

It's been leaked over the last week, everyone knows it's happening, but business and the general public need decisive leadership and clear communications.

I won't hold my breath

Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
Pilgrim_Joe":qzjqa4ti said:
On the same vein - why delay the announcement until 6pm tonight?

It's been leaked over the last week, everyone knows it's happening, but business and the general public need decisive leadership and clear communications.

I won't hold my breath

Because the Govt said back in February that they'd give the final nod for the easing of each level of restriction a week prior to the earmarked date.