• Welcome to PASOTI (Sponsored by GA Solictors and Lang & Potter)
  • Hello guests - don't forget that by registering and signing up for Pasoti you'll see less adverts plus receive extras like free match tickets, taking part in polls, joining in the chat room and more. Come and join us!

Coronavirus (merged threads)

MickyD

Pasoti Donor
Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
Shadowknight":20qv87ju said:
mervyn":20qv87ju said:
See Prince Charles is top of the news. What utter boll###!

Well he is so much more important than the rest of us, dontchyaknow.
I had BBC News on with the sound off when that appeared; then it was just wall-to-wall Charles for an age. If not for the captions you'd have sworn the bugger had popped his clogs.

Now today, from the BBC website (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-52044035) the Star, legendary for its political campaigning, leads with NHS heroes' fury over Chas test 'queue jump'. (I'm pleased to see that somebody there still knows how to use apostrophes.)

Much as I loathe the very sight of the man, I did have the tiniest smidge of sympathy for Donald Trump the other day when he was asked by a reporter if he thought it was fair that rich NBA stars and the like could get tests when others in far greater need couldn't. He said something like "That's just the way life works sometimes", for which he was pilloried for being insensitive. It goes without saying that he is indeed a massively insensitive dick with zero empathy; but he thing is, rightly or wrongly, of course rich people are going to jump queues in all walks of life, and it's naive and hopelessly utopian to think that it would ever be otherwise.

Anyway, being brutally pragmatic, it could be argued that 71-year-old Prince Charles' treatment (if required) and survival would be far more important to national morale than the death of a totally anonymous 71-year-old. He may not be the most popular royal by a long stretch, and I personally couldn't give a monkey's who "reigns over us", but we could all really do without the national weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth over a major royal's death in the midst of the current sh1tshow.

MickyD

Pasoti Donor
Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
It allowed the now undisputed stupidest and most pig-ignorant man on the planet to use a big word or two (which led directly to the death of at least one of his supporters. What's that you say? Darwin Awards?) but he is completely and utterly lost, as anyone with the merest scintilla of general nous can see.

He's made a brave effort (in the way that a five-year-old may) but he can't even pretend to be a serious president, as evinced by his continued unfiltered stream-of-consciousness id-confession Twitter feed, which has always been his happiest playground.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
MickyD":3dmh67m8 said:
It allowed the now undisputed stupidest and most pig-ignorant man on the planet to use a big word or two (which led directly to the death of at least one of his supporters. What's that you say? Darwin Awards?) but he is completely and utterly lost, as anyone with the merest scintilla of general nous can see.

He's made a brave effort (in the way that a five-year-old may) but he can't even pretend to be a serious president, as evinced by his continued unfiltered stream-of-consciousness id-confession Twitter feed, which has always been his happiest playground.
You don't like him much do you Micky? :think:

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
Lowey Sponsor
NHS Volunteer Supporter
Pasoti Donor
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Ave_IT":2yzqt28m said:
MickyD":2yzqt28m said:

When he became PM, Boris was seen as a poor-man’s Trump. As it is, Trump has spouted a load of good ol American bullshyte, while Boris has stepped up to the plate and lead the country like a proper prime minister. He should be applauded, which is something coming from a Labour voter.

May 16, 2016
Ave_IT":3luo2unn said:
MickyD":3luo2unn said:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=90217

There's always this Thread for those that dont. ;)

MickyD

Pasoti Donor
Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
Ave_IT":3f0f8p8o said:
MickyD":3f0f8p8o said:

It was a bit OTT :oops:

I'm lucky enough to have a garden and I'd spent a long day sitting in the sun and drinking wine - but at least I had just enough remaining sobriety to delete my original version!

May 16, 2016
Day 14 of our Lock Down dawns and yet another 832 Die, now up to 5690 Deaths. The Health Workers are succumbing to the Virus amidst a Shortage of PPE and the scandal of the procurement of several thousand unreliable Testing Kits from an apparently unlicensed Chinese Supplier. It's getting grim.

Compare that with Germany where the Compliance to the distancing measures was greater and alongside a better Testing Regime, we can see the importance of following the latest advice.

Hopefully the UK wont get as bad as here, but watching the way things have and are occurring there, I dont think it will be much better. Be prepared for a longer stay indoors than first forecast.

I'd personally hold little hope of watching live Football before the Autumn.

MickyD

Pasoti Donor
Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
Ave_IT":12mpjshx said:
:lol:

Something to cheer you up Micky - looks like Biden is taking a clear lead over the moron-in-chief in the polls according to Fox News of all people.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/fox-ne ... pledge.amp

I hasten to add I don't normally read/ watch Fox News but stumbled across a link to it :oops:
Yeah, right :)

I don't want to turn this into a Trump thread, but I'll believe he's out of power when he's physically frogmarched out of the White House, which is probably what it will take - and I still worry that he may yet turn all this to his advantage, possibly by cancelling or at least seriously mangling the November election (for national security reasons, naturally).

But while we're in cross-over mode: I haven't got the figures to hand, but a couple of days ago I heard that the vast percentage of Americans who are still "only slightly concerned or not at all concerned" about this pandemic are self-identified Republicans, and I would have to assume that's a leftover from Trumpland's earlier deeply irresponsible and shamelessly politicised "hoax" rhetoric. Even now, Trump is still desperately trying to play it all down, while hospitals overflow, medical professionals and state governers beg for supplies and a nationally coordinated plan by the federal government, and the US goes way past 100,000 cases and 1,500 deaths with a huge surge just around the corner.

And speaking of Americans and the coronavirus, the always amusingly acerbic Marina Hyde writes today in the Grauniad: "Americans are buying more guns, though mass school closures mean there are fewer favoured locations to use them."

MickyD

Pasoti Donor
Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
mervyn":2r53ej6p said:
Friend of mine just gone into hospital, and is on a Dyson ventilator. They say he’s picking up ;)
:tumbleweed:

A decent enough pun, but I'm not sure that beginning a post on this of all threads with "Friend of mine just gone into hospital" was the best decision you've ever made!

Pogleswoody

Kate Sponsor
Lowey Sponsor
Pun Master
50/50 Sponsor
NHS Volunteer Supporter
NHS Cake Donor
T.O Support
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Just seen the brother of Amged El-Hawrani , the Consultant who died yesterday, on the BBC News.
S'funny, I can 'take it' when I see someone is manic with grief but this guy was so dignified and logical and praising the NHS, nurses, doctors and whilst grieving and sad just spoke so well. That gets me more upset, the control, the dignity, the acceptance of it.
I never used to cry at the news but nowadays it is getting more common!! :sad:

I like a pun Merv (as everyone probably knows :oops: ) but I might have phrased it: 'I hear that the new Dyson ventilators are excellent because..' etc.

I agree with Micky, I just find it bad karma/magick to talk about friends going into hospital?

Not a criticism mate, we all need a bit of humour, now more than ever. :thumbs:

MickyD

Pasoti Donor
Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
Just watching the latest update ont' telly box.

I can't be the only one, can I, who feels a little bit of sick in my mouth every time I hear Johnson, Raab and others refer to "our NHS"? Not only is it reminiscent of the notorious Brexit bus lie; until just a few weks ago this and previous governments had spent years vilifying it, starving it and doing their best to sell it off. Now they're all bleedin' Nye Bevan.

Mar 21, 2013
To cut them slack in extremely unusual & difficult times, maybe it’s a collective ‘our NHS’. As a country we’re all in this together. I’d say political allegiances are far from important at this time.