• Welcome to PASOTI (Sponsored by GA Solictors and Lang & Potter)

Coronavirus (merged threads)

Jul 15, 2006
3,816
25
Kenton, Devon
The lateral flow test is extremely effective in doing what it is supposed to do - to show if you are infectious, not whether you have Covid - that's why my wife and other medical staff (and other key workers) have to conduct a test at least twice a week. It isn't a PCR test, which is much, much more sensitive and looks for other markers which you can't detect in a 30-minute turn-around test.

And it's this which hasn't been explained to people which is the problem (especially when the did the mass testing in Liverpool before Christmas) - a negative lateral flow test isn't a "you're all clear" result: it simply says that the level of the virus in your nasal passage is either zero or not at a high enough level for you to be infectious to other people.
 
Dec 27, 2004
712
24
Bidford on Avon
Quinny":1nh5wdd0 said:
The lateral flow test is extremely effective in doing what it is supposed to do - to show if you are infectious, not whether you have Covid - that's why my wife and other medical staff (and other key workers) have to conduct a test at least twice a week. It isn't a PCR test, which is much, much more sensitive and looks for other markers which you can't detect in a 30-minute turn-around test.

And it's this which hasn't been explained to people which is the problem (especially when the did the mass testing in Liverpool before Christmas) - a negative lateral flow test isn't a "you're all clear" result: it simply says that the level of the virus in your nasal passage is either zero or not at a high enough level for you to be infectious to other people.


Thanks for the clarification Quinny :thumbs:

Much appreciated.

I suppose the question then is how often you'd repeat the testing in a work environment if you're looking to prevent an outbreak?

As you're example shows you'd hope for twice a week.

In my case my home office has no opening windows, swiped doors so never left open and re-circulated air - so an infection paradise.
 
Quinny":1gupsadm said:
The lateral flow test is extremely effective in doing what it is supposed to do - to show if you are infectious, not whether you have Covid - that's why my wife and other medical staff (and other key workers) have to conduct a test at least twice a week. It isn't a PCR test, which is much, much more sensitive and looks for other markers which you can't detect in a 30-minute turn-around test.

And it's this which hasn't been explained to people which is the problem (especially when the did the mass testing in Liverpool before Christmas) - a negative lateral flow test isn't a "you're all clear" result: it simply says that the level of the virus in your nasal passage is either zero or not at a high enough level for you to be infectious to other people.

Very helpful that.
 

Pogleswoody

Kate Sponsor
Lowey Sponsor
Pun Master
50/50 Sponsor
NHS Volunteer Supporter
Jul 3, 2006
16,552
189
70
Location Location
Got BBC News on BBC 2 on atm which I presume is the News Channel content.
Anyway, Duncan Neale just popped up; showed HP, 'where he used to play' and interviewed him re. getting your jabs done.
Obviously recorded a little while ago but nice to see the BBC using his input in a positive way! :thumbup:
 

MickyD

Pasoti Donor
Dec 30, 2004
3,209
22
Brighton
I'm off soon to get my first Covid shot at the Brighton Centre, the brutalist seafront eyesore probably most famous for hosting ABBA's 1974 Eurovision win.

While I'm there I'll sing a verse or two in celebration of its temporary change of use.

Dig those costumes, baby!
 
Sep 2, 2008
1,792
21
EU is having a real nightmare in getting its vaccination roll-out to function effectively. Even having to resort to asking the US for a supply apparently. I shudder to think how the UK would have been affected if we were still having to do what Brussels told us. von der Leyen is still refusing to allow Countries to buy vaccines separately as it 'would have been the end of our Community'. I suggest that dictating as she is may actually be having some EU Countries already thinking about their futures as part of the Community.
 
Nov 15, 2011
1,575
97
No country other than the UK has ever or will ever leave the EU, even the far right in Italy and Marine Le Pen are against that and there's a long list of countries who want to join. Why would anyone want to leave the biggest free trading single market on the planet on their doorstep, its economic insanity.

And I bet every single country in Europe shudders to think they could have 124,000 dead, the highest excess death rate in the world and the worst economic outcome out of any developed country. No wonder the government has stopped international comparisons, we have in the round dealt with coronavirus worse than any other country in the world.
 
Sep 2, 2008
1,792
21
themightykeithfear":gxjri28p said:
No country other than the UK has ever or will ever leave the EU, even the far right in Italy and Marine Le Pen are against that and there's a long list of countries who want to join. Why would anyone want to leave the biggest free trading single market on the planet on their doorstep, its economic insanity.

And I bet every single country in Europe shudders to think they could have 124,000 dead, the highest excess death rate in the world and the worst economic outcome out of any developed country. No wonder the government has stopped international comparisons, we have in the round dealt with coronavirus worse than any other country in the world.

For a lot of people, certainly the majority in the UK, its not all about the economy. Also, I can envisage the EU death rate rising the longer they mess up the vaccine rollout so I fully expect the final count in the EU to exceed the UK. In fact, I think it already is in Belgium and Portugal isn't that far behind. I wouldn't count my chickens just yet....
 
Nov 15, 2011
1,575
97
Oh its not about the economy, what is it about? The blue passports made in Poland that give you less freedoms than the red ones? Beats me. And no other European country will get anywhere near the number of UK deaths as numbers now are thankfully going down everywhere.

As for the vaccine rollout no-one has to do what Brussels tells them. Any country can do what they want, as we did when during the transition period we decided to do it ourselves which any EU country could have done. And yes they've made a real mess of it.

In this country the vaccination rollout has been a fantastic success because its being done by people who actually do this sort of thing for a living, unlike the failed test and trace rollout, which was given untendered to the unqualified head of the jockey club, (who let the Cheltenham Festival go ahead), wife of a tory mp who spaffed £37,000,000,000 and is largely responsible for the mess we're in now.
 
Oct 9, 2003
3,503
12
Aberdeen
themightykeithfear":3d9oijc6 said:
Oh its not about the economy, what is it about? The blue passports made in Poland that give you less freedoms than the red ones? Beats me. And no other European country will get anywhere near the number of UK deaths as numbers now are thankfully going down everywhere.

As for the vaccine rollout no-one has to do what Brussels tells them. Any country can do what they want, as we did when during the transition period we decided to do it ourselves which any EU country could have done. And yes they've made a real mess of it.

In this country the vaccination rollout has been a fantastic success because its being done by people who actually do this sort of thing for a living, unlike the failed test and trace rollout, which was given untendered to the unqualified head of the jockey club, (who let the Cheltenham Festival go ahead), wife of a tory mp who spaffed £37,000,000,000 and is largely responsible for the mess we're in now.

tmkf - all opinions are valid as long as they have some substance.

But what you say is not true. Cases are rising in many European countries with new lockdowns being enforced. Rises in deaths will follow as they always do, and already are in the likes of Poland and Italy. Italy is quite likely to reach a similar number as the UK (deaths per capita) as will many European nations (France, Spain will be in the ballpark, smaller nations like the Czechs and Belgium already higher). Though it's all moot as comparisons are fraught with difficulty as has been debated here on numerous occasions ad nauseum. Have a look back through the thread before you joined it (and the older one). Germany, lauded for its achievements in wave 1 has had an awful time through wave 2, while France imposes lockdowns at will but is still tracking at 20K + infections a day. Public sentiment in both countries is not good.
 
Nov 15, 2011
1,575
97
Only Italy could possibly get near UKs death rate, it would mean 10s of thousands of deaths in those countries and it isn't happening, in fact deaths per day are relatively low now across Europe and still about the same as in the UK as in the others you quoted, and all going down thanks to lockdowns and vaccinations. Germany despite having a much larger population than the UK has over 50,000 fewer deaths.

People are unhappy in those countries, particularly about the vaccine and rightly so. The mystery to me is that people in this country are so supine when in addition to topping the death rates we also have the worst hit economy in the developed world, although of course the damage will only really crystalise when lockdown and furlough ends and Brexit starts to bite.
 
Oct 9, 2003
3,503
12
Aberdeen
Nope, I’ll be generous and say you’re mistaken. Look at Worldometer.

Cases are rising fast in Italy and Poland since mid Feb. France and Italy have case rates 3-4x that of the UK in the last week with that multiplier increasing. And you know what follows 2 weeks after cases go up, death rates do as well. As for Spain, no-one really understands the way they report their figures. And I suggest talking to some Germans and ask how they felt even before the vaccine debacle - I did.

Respectfully, you are trying to create support for your narrative. There’s no doubting mistakes have been made here just as they have elsewhere, and are being made now across Europe re: vaccination. But please do not try and make out that our recent success of controlling case rates is mirrored across Europe when it isn’t true - as indeed the WHO expressed concern last week.

By all means callout the mistakes accurately, but it doesn’t hurt to think well of your country now and again instead of continually wanting to do it down.
 
Sep 2, 2008
1,792
21
themightykeithfear":1alj260a said:
Only Italy could possibly get near UKs death rate, it would mean 10s of thousands of deaths in those countries and it isn't happening, in fact deaths per day are relatively low now across Europe and still about the same as in the UK as in the others you quoted, and all going down thanks to lockdowns and vaccinations. Germany despite having a much larger population than the UK has over 50,000 fewer deaths.

People are unhappy in those countries, particularly about the vaccine and rightly so. The mystery to me is that people in this country are so supine when in addition to topping the death rates we also have the worst hit economy in the developed world, although of course the damage will only really crystalise when lockdown and furlough ends and Brexit starts to bite.

So, we don't currently have the worst hit economy in the developed world at all and you are just making an assumption here or have I read that wrong?
 
Nov 15, 2011
1,575
97
You see Frank I criticised the Eus failures and praised our vaccine rollout and yet you still think I have an “agenda”. It’s the difference between a patriot like me who wants the best for his country and isn’t afraid to point out rights and wrongs on both sides, and a nationalist like you that blinds you into prioritising doing Johnny Foreigner down rather than wanting what is best for your country, Any facts pointed out is a traitor with an agenda. Brexit in a nutshell.

it’s why this country with world beating excess deaths AND economic harm has definitively dealt with the pandemic worse than any other country on the planet. Whether you like it or not.