• Welcome to PASOTI (Sponsored by GA Solictors and Lang & Potter)
  • Hello guests - don't forget that by registering and signing up for Pasoti you'll see less adverts plus receive extras like free match tickets, taking part in polls, joining in the chat room and more. Come and join us!

Coronavirus (merged threads)

The Doctor

Lowey Sponsor
NHS Cake Donor
Sep 15, 2003
Quinny":3s6b8xog said:
https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19...y-as-september-2019-scientists-claim-12133825

A really interesting article, and I'm genuinely surprised that it hasn't been in the news more. If it is true then it torpedoes the generally accepted timeline. It might not even have originated in China, which could prove awkward for Trump and the tin-hat brigade who reckon it's a virus which escaped from the laboratory near Wuhan.

Well I know/know of several people who had weird COVID-like illnesses at or before last Christmas (November 2019 onwards). One of them had even been to Italy in the school half term in late October. I had something decidedly horrible and different from any cold or flu-like illness I’ve ever had before over the Christmas period. And there are several quite extensively reported cases of people who died from respiratory illnesses that developed in highly unusual ways. So this wouldn’t surprise me at all.

Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
No, Derriford deaths in hospitals don't count as "Plymouth" deaths. That would bugger up Exeter if it did, given that the Nightingale here also supports the other Devon and Cornwall hospitals (and Dorset and Zummerzet if required) and takes patients from those locations.

signalspast

50/50 Sponsor
Aug 17, 2005
Quinny":xqgv4ofc said:
No, Derriford deaths in hospitals don't count as "Plymouth" deaths. That would bugger up Exeter if it did, given that the Nightingale here also supports the other Devon and Cornwall hospitals (and Dorset and Zummerzet if required) and takes patients from those locations.

Quinny maybe u will know the answer. As Derriford take a large proportion of the cornish population and they are stage one whereas plymouth is stage 2 could this be keeping cornwalls levels artificially low because the rates of infection are registered against derriford in Devon.

Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
signalspast":1egrnbnq said:
Quinny maybe u will know the answer. As Derriford take a large proportion of the cornish population and they are stage one whereas plymouth is stage 2 could this be keeping cornwalls levels artificially low because the rates of infection are registered against derriford in Devon.

No, the reason why Plymouth is in tier 2 is because of confirmed test results of individuals, and that's based on where you live, rather than where the test was done. So if a patient from East Cornwall was admitted to Derriford and was proved to be Covid positive on admission, that Covid case would count against where they lived.

Willis88

50/50 Sponsor
Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
Teignbridge sent an email to all taxpayers yesterday that said we had the lowest level of infection in England (56 in 100,000).

If the government decode to split the county could we end up in a weird scenario where Teignbridge (and other more rural areas) end up in Tier 1 with Exeter, Torbay and Plymouth in Tier 3?

I can't see how that can be enforced. The second the pubs open here people will be leaving T3 areas

signalspast

50/50 Sponsor
Aug 17, 2005
Quinny":2npjolb5 said:
signalspast":2npjolb5 said:

No, the reason why Plymouth is in tier 2 is because of confirmed test results of individuals, and that's based on where you live, rather than where the test was done. So if a patient from East Cornwall was admitted to Derriford and was proved to be Covid positive on admission, that Covid case would count against where they lived.

Thanks

Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
Willis88":ogeb4sd8 said:
Teignbridge sent an email to all taxpayers yesterday that said we had the lowest level of infection in England (56 in 100,000).

If the government decode to split the county could we end up in a weird scenario where Teignbridge (and other more rural areas) end up in Tier 1 with Exeter, Torbay and Plymouth in Tier 3?

I can't see how that can be enforced. The second the pubs open here people will be leaving T3 areas

It isn't often I defend the Govt, but this is proving to be a case "damned if they do, damned if they don't" regarding lockdown. They regionalised lockdowns initially to almost postcode zones, and people complained it was too complex, and open to abuse. So they simplify it to county level, and everyone complains.

It is a pain on the arse for those who live in low infection rate areas (I'm also Teignbridge), but I think the current county level enforcement is as fair as they can make it. What I dispute is how they conclude an area is T1/T2/T3, because that seems inconsistent.

Willis88

50/50 Sponsor
Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
Quinny":37e38129 said:
Willis88":37e38129 said:

It isn't often I defend the Govt, but this is proving to be a case "damned if they do, damned if they don't" regarding lockdown. They regionalised lockdowns initially to almost postcode zones, and people complained it was too complex, and open to abuse. So they simplify it to county level, and everyone complains.

It is a pain on the arse for those who live in low infection rate areas (I'm also Teignbridge), but I think the current county level enforcement is as fair as they can make it. What I dispute is how they conclude an area is T1/T2/T3, because that seems inconsistent.

Wasn't personally complaining, just remarking on how complicated it can be.

Countywide is probably the fairest and easiest to enforce. If they go postcode it'll be a massive headache for the police to enforce and almost impossible.

Still, numbers are looking better and better down here, so hopefully the review in a couple of weeks will see Devon in T1...

I’ve been pondering a question perhaps suitable for The Moral Maze. At some point next year everyone who wants a vaccine will have received it. After that, the only infections will be those who deliberately declined the jab. Whilst I would never consider that their stupidity should result in no treatment, they should surely receive very little sympathy.

signalspast

50/50 Sponsor
Aug 17, 2005
mervyn":21he2d8k said:
I’ve been pondering a question perhaps suitable for The Moral Maze. At some point next year everyone who wants a vaccine will have received it. After that, the only infections will be those who deliberately declined the jab. Whilst I would never consider that their stupidity should result in no treatment, they should surely receive very little sympathy.

I wonder how many of them that protest etc etc will have it done when the country they wish to visit makes it a condition of entry. Or the theatre, sports venue, music festival or whatever place they wish to go the same answer you need proof of vacination

Willis88

50/50 Sponsor
Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
mervyn":13ytfkdz said:

Not that I agree with some of the positions you can apply the same argument to any motorcyclist who gets in a crash, and athlete who gets injured during their sport.

It's completely unethical to refuse to treat anyone no matter how stupid you or the doctors think their position is.

As much as I disagree with their stance everyone has a right to an opinion and an action.

Their medical decisions are theirs and theirs alone and they run the risk of a deadly infection as a result. But that's a risk they're willing to take.

Those who are spreading BS online about the virus etc are the real ones where the ethics should be revisited.

Sep 6, 2006
mervyn":27stqqqx said:

You are assuming its impossible to get the virus if you had the vaccine. Incorrect.

Balham_Green":1rfn8wr6 said:
mervyn":1rfn8wr6 said:

You are assuming its impossible to get the virus if you had the vaccine. Incorrect.

Agreed, my wording is incorrect. I should have said ‘the only serious infections...’ But I do understand that the vaccine lessens the symptoms and helps prevent long COVID. I’ve also changed my view somewhat since hearing this evening on Newsnight how many in the BAME community are nervous about the vaccine because they have so little trust in authority/government, which is understandable when you consider the government’s handling so far.