• Welcome to PASOTI (Sponsored by GA Solictors and Lang & Potter)
  • Hello guests - don't forget that by registering and signing up for Pasoti you'll see less adverts plus receive extras like free match tickets, taking part in polls, joining in the chat room and more. Come and join us!

Coronavirus (merged threads)

MickyD

Pasoti Donor
Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
Well, from everything we're hearing it certainly doesn't sound as if we're anywhere near peak yet.

Thanks for the post in the other thread, Ade. Our son is 25 and he hasn't got worse so we're not too worried - although he's never smoked, so a cough lasting well over a week is pretty odd. He works in a pub (or perhaps I should say he worked in a pub...) so talk about high risk of exposure!

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
MickyD":st66cb0p said:
Well, from everything we're hearing it certainly doesn't sound as if we're anywhere near peak yet.

Thanks for the post in the other thread, Ade. Our son is 25 and he hasn't got worse so we're not too worried - although he's never smoked, so a cough lasting well over a week is pretty odd. He works in a pub (or perhaps I should say he worked in a pub...) so talk about high risk of exposure!

No worries Micky, I re-read my post and I certainly wasn’t suggesting it was nothing to be concerned about, the very opposite in fact as I’ve been feeling lousy for a couple of days but however bad I feel, I don’t have any CV symptoms.

It’s a worry we have to live with for a while I guess.

Sep 6, 2006
Ade the green":1v0du0sd said:
I'm not sure I understand this "Italy is two weeks ahead of etc etc". Surely it's the culture of family get togethers and going out to restaurants that happens far more in pleasant climates than ours is the reason Italy has more cases than us. It might well be that tourism at this time of year is another reason warmer countries have been hit harder! Maybe, thankfully the weather we've had for the last month has meant people weren't mixing and spreading the virus as much and maybe we're not two weeks behind but we've just been affected less.

We've closed down sport very early based on the Italy experience so maybe we've seen the worst of it in comparison. The virus came over from China at the same time surely?

Doesnt make much sense.

Ottawa Green

Administrator
Staff member
Lowey Sponsor
Pasoti Donor
T.O Support
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
It is very interesting to hear how everyone is handling this.
Hear in Canada our numbers are way down on what it is in the UK Total: 433 confirmed (including 4 deaths, 10 resolved), 15 presumptive. Yet we have put in some very strong restrictions both Federally and Provincially, but some of the restrictions have giant loopholes, for instance we have restricted all air traffic to only Canadian citizens and /or residents, but then there is no restrictions to US, Mexican and Caribean citizens and relatives of Canadian citizens and/or residents.
Provincially Ontario this morning declared a state of emergency, meaning ALL restaurants bars, clubs are closed, groups of people are restricted to a maximum of 50 people. ALL schools, daycare centres, sports arenas are closed.
Any planes arriving from foreign countries are only allowed to land in 4 airports across the country, Montreal/Toronto/Calgary and Vancouver. Yet anyone arriving at any airport are not being tested for anything just a brief questioning by border guards and then let through, personally we saw this when we drove back to Canada from Florida, all we were asked was where did we live, when did we leave what $ amount of goods where we were bringing back, have a nice day. They never asked where did we go, where we in areas where Covid 19 was active, did we have any contact with anyone with a cough, nothing to do with the disease. Because of this and many complaints coming from citizens the provinces of Ontario, Quebec and Nova Scotia sent their own officials to check passengers arriving, all airports are Federally operated and this was the provincial rightly doing the Feds work.
Our son works for the Federal government and his department has basically shut down for at least the next 3 weeks, he has been told to keep logged in to the department and to check his e-mail for any work that is needed.
A lot of ideas are coming from local businesses, one is grocery stores are still open, but for the first 2 hours of business the stores are only open to senior citizens, this is because the stores are all sanitized overnight so when the seniors come in the store will be clean and sanitized and they will not have to mix with the general public. As i said ALL restaurants are closed but fast food restaurants are open for take away and drive through only.

I went down with a high temperature, racing pulse and the sweats and a general sense of ‘meh’ on Sunday. Now means I, my wife and son, are isolated for 14 days. Without any testing I’ve no idea whether I’ve had a common or garden virus (probably) or COVID19. I haven’t had the cough, but not everyone does, but I did have the fever and fatigue. Who knows? Pretty much slept for all Sunday and most of Monday. Feel ok now, with just a sore throat and a bit washed out. On the plus side, I’ve lost about 5 pounds in weight!

I’m not worried about that. I will be fine. My parents, I am worried about. But it’s the long term that is now so uncertain. The economic damage. The psychological damage. The societal damage. This is going to be bad, for quite a long time. It’s hard to make plans or assume that your reality now (your job, your income, your lifestyle and circumstances) will in any predictable way be similar in the months or even years ahead. It feels like a roulette wheel. And my kids are just starting their adult lives with what prospects? Life is on hold. After 10 previous years of austerity too.

Yesterday people have been asked to sacrifice their working lives for the health and well-being of everyone, and we will all need to help pay them back for it. We could start by taking some billions away from the hoarding 1%, many of whom own football clubs do they not? How about giving some of that wealth to a few nurses instead of player salaries.

And seeing football.... well it’s going to have to wait it’s turn.

This will be a field day for the crazies too. Evangelical types who think the end times are nigh. Prepare yourselves for nutters (well, we’ve had a few of them running countries too have we not?)

Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
MickyD":3f6dt89z said:

We're nowhere near it - the NHS aren't looking at cancelling all non-urgent elective surgery for a couple of weeks yet - bar London, they are more advanced with the infection than the rest of the country: our next-door neighbour is a consultant up at Lewisham and the situation there is serious. This time last week here at the Royal Devon and Exeter we admitted our first patient. We've now got 7 in a dedicated Covid-19 ward ... and another 3 in intensive care. There are a lot of very nervous-looking clinicians here at the hospital.

I’m currently wondering whether the virus will speed up the demise of retail. I can’t count the number of local folk who tell me they’re buying on line either more frequently or for the first time. I just have a feeling it’s one of those things which, for older people particularly, once you’ve lost your virginity it might become a habit.

Regarding the government’s response yesterday to provide support to companies, whilst I’m sure the will is there, I’m disappointed at their lack of creativity. People need money now to get them over the crisis period. If Denmark, Sweden and others can make direct cash payments to help the poorest, why can’t we? One idea I heard this morning is a simple reversal of the NI payment from payroll process. Money could then go straight to bank accounts to tide people over.

Quinny":215ammz0 said:
MickyD":215ammz0 said:

We're nowhere near it - the NHS aren't looking at cancelling all non-urgent elective surgery for a couple of weeks yet - bar London, they are more advanced with the infection than the rest of the country: our next-door neighbour is a consultant up at Lewisham and the situation there is serious. This time last week here at the Royal Devon and Exeter we admitted our first patient. We've now got 7 in a dedicated Covid-19 ward ... and another 3 in intensive care. There are a lot of very nervous-looking clinicians here at the hospital.

I take it you work at the RD&E Quinny Is the lack of PP an issue there? I can’t understand why the government took so long to start distributing their emergency stock of PP clothing.

Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
mervyn":37pth86r said:
I take it you work at the RD&E Quinny Is the lack of PP an issue there? I can’t understand why the government took so long to start distributing their emergency stock of PP clothing.

I do :wave:

It isn't really my area - I'm in IT, not Infection Control - but to the best of my knowledge PPE provision isn't an issue (yet) and procurement is actively trying to secure more stock. Looking at the Covid-19 pages on our intranet, we're following national guidance regarding the wearing of appropriate clothing and there are no notices regarding a lack of stock. We did have an issue recently whereby PPE clothing (mainly face-masks) were being removed overnight from the emergency cupboard, so Infection Control had to go to all the wards next morning to retrieve any surplus.

Sep 6, 2006
Forest of Dean Green":385yb529 said:
I went down with a high temperature, racing pulse and the sweats and a general sense of ‘meh’ on Sunday. Now means I, my wife and son, are isolated for 14 days. Without any testing I’ve no idea whether I’ve had a common or garden virus (probably) or COVID19. I haven’t had the cough, but not everyone does, but I did have the fever and fatigue. Who knows? Pretty much slept for all Sunday and most of Monday. Feel ok now, with just a sore throat and a bit washed out. On the plus side, I’ve lost about 5 pounds in weight!

I’m not worried about that. I will be fine. My parents, I am worried about. But it’s the long term that is now so uncertain. The economic damage. The psychological damage. The societal damage. This is going to be bad, for quite a long time. It’s hard to make plans or assume that your reality now (your job, your income, your lifestyle and circumstances) will in any predictable way be similar in the months or even years ahead. It feels like a roulette wheel. And my kids are just starting their adult lives with what prospects? Life is on hold. After 10 previous years of austerity too.

Yesterday people have been asked to sacrifice their working lives for the health and well-being of everyone, and we will all need to help pay them back for it. We could start by taking some billions away from the hoarding 1%, many of whom own football clubs do they not? How about giving some of that wealth to a few nurses instead of player salaries.

And seeing football.... well it’s going to have to wait it’s turn.

This will be a field day for the crazies too. Evangelical types who think the end times are nigh. Prepare yourselves for nutters (well, we’ve had a few of them running countries too have we not?)

Nothing like making a drama out of a crisis. Talking about years etc. Its bad at the moment but get some perspective for goodness sake.

Ottawa Green

Administrator
Staff member
Lowey Sponsor
Pasoti Donor
T.O Support
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
Today the US and Canada closed their borders, a good thing right, NOPE too many exemptions, Canadians who were away on holiday can cross, Americans visiting Canadians can come across, relatives of anyone living in Canada can come across regardless of citizenships.
Also their is an exemption for Anyone at a place called Roxham road on the border of Quebec and NewYork, if anyone wanted to come to Canada and apply for political asylum and turned up at a legal border crossing they would be refused and turned back, but if the went to Roxham road all they had to do is cross the border which is all open a nd a RCMO officer would be there who would say you are under arrest for entering Canada illegaly and they would say we want asylum and by law they are then welcomed even helped, processed and given a bus ticket to Montreal. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/the-nati ... -1.5169249 once into Canada they get free medical, monthly allowances and accommodation until they have there asylum application processed. Meanwhile the border will still be open to transportation needs.

Pogleswoody

Kate Sponsor
Lowey Sponsor
Pun Master
50/50 Sponsor
NHS Volunteer Supporter
NHS Cake Donor
T.O Support
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Quinny":3bd31tt5 said:
MickyD":3bd31tt5 said:

Well I had a phone call from Outpatients at Derriford today. One of those automated calls.
I presumed that my colo-rectal check up (Oooh Matron!) would be cancelled but, as it stands, it is confirmed for next week and I confirmed my attendance. Just a check though, no medical intervention involved or anticipated (I hope!). Let's see what occurs shall we?

Oct 9, 2003
Aberdeen
Quinny":v75mkfel said:
MickyD":v75mkfel said:

Quinny - that may be true of the RD&E, but there are Trusts outside of London cancelling non-urgent electives. London itself looking at temporary reconfiguration to accommodate COVID at designated sites. The amount of planning activity in the NHS and the response from suppliers is quite remarkable.

Sep 6, 2006
Frank_Butcher":32pagqs7 said:
Quinny":32pagqs7 said:
MickyD":32pagqs7 said:

Quinny - that may be true of the RD&E, but there are Trusts outside of London cancelling non-urgent electives. London itself looking at temporary reconfiguration to accommodate COVID at designated sites. The amount of planning activity in the NHS and the response from suppliers is quite remarkable.

The nhs will meet the challenge if any organisation can. Its finest hour is coming. Best thing about this country.