Corners | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Corners

Jan 26, 2006
Plymouth
Doncaster left 2 players up and it lead to a goal. I always think we should leave at least 1 player on the half way line when defending a corner. This means that 1 or 2 defenders have to stay back but also means we can challenge for any clearance. All too often we clear a corner only for it to come back in as the defender has no pressure.

Maybe leave Hardie up after his half way line exploits against Pompey.

Reactions: Sideline Sam
Oct 15, 2017
Doncaster left 2 players up and it lead to a goal. I always think we should leave at least 1 player on the half way line when defending a corner. This means that 1 or 2 defenders have to stay back but also means we can challenge for any clearance. All too often we clear a corner only for it to come back in as the defender has no pressure.

Have to agree have said this many times before particularly if the player has pace,

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton

Agree, and it should be Hardie. If Cooper catches it he could reach him with an accurate throw and allow Hardie to use his pace.

Reactions: leeroy221
Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
I said this back in the Adams era with Lameiras.

He was useless in corners due to his height, but with his speed and trickery if he were left out of the box and won the ball it would almost certainly be a goal.

Most corners we see these days either go to the keeper or pass everyone by, you don't need 10 defenders for a majority of the time.

I quite liked the routines we tried in attacking corners though, some interesting play being thought up

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
It’s an interesting fact that statistically more goals are scored after a team
breaks to the other end of the pitch and scores after defending a corner as opppsed to actually scoring direct from a corner.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
It’s an interesting fact that statistically more goals are scored after a team
breaks to the other end of the pitch and scores after defending a corner as opppsed to actually scoring direct from a corner.
So not even that but we had 11 back when their keeper came up! Surely Garrick could go on the centre line?

Oct 31, 2015
I've always found it a bit frustrating that we bring 11 back for the corners. As Jannerincardiff states the stats show there is more chance of a break away goal than scoring from a corner (as per yesterday)

Just one player in the centre of the pitch drags back 2 defenders and gives an outlet. To be fair to this coaching team they have always bought the 11 back though

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
On the flip side when we had corners we only left two players back to defend against two Donny attackers and it cost us a goal when Donny broke away.
We repeated this throughout the game.

Teams usually have one more player staying back at corners than attackers.

I suppose it's because of the risk and reward style of football we play.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
The only reason I can think of for not having a forward staying up is that the opposition will let more defenders come up for the corner and leave more room for a break away. The downside is that the breakaway will have to start deep in you half rather than on the halfway line.

Sep 6, 2006
Sturrock always had 11 back for corners. I never understood it then and I don’t now.
I was there when somebody asked him. He quoted stats that it worked.
How many corners have we had this season and have we scored from any of them? Could do with a bit more originality