Conor Hourihane (podcast) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Conor Hourihane (podcast)

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
He passed ‘sideways’ a lot because there was nothing going on in front of him and therefore he wanted to retain possession. He was on a different wavelength to and significantly better than all of his teammates.
Exactly, and this was SO obvious to anyone with even the merest knowledge of football that it always amazed me how much stick he came in for at Home Park.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
I have a pretty mere knowledge of football and I see where you are coming from .. but ..
He obviously played to 'orders'. He was also a young, 'modern' player; brought up on stats, retain possession, pass completion etc.
So he rarely tried to thread a pass between two defenders, or knock it over a defender's head for someone to run on to. Rarely played a quick flick or wall pass. Too concerned that the ball would be 'lost'. Less concerned that the game could be won.
Great players take a risk, play fast not over considered, play instinctively; once you've considered what your Manager might say if you 'fail' or take an 'unnecessary risk' the moment has gone.
Very nice lad, very talented player, too constrained by modern 'management'.
Let the lad play FFS!

Dec 30, 2020
Exactly, and this was SO obvious to anyone with even the merest knowledge of football that it always amazed me how much stick he came in for at Home Park.

Conversely, I think it retrofits his subsequent career to a narrative of his time at Home Park.

He was evidently a good player, but very timid and peripheral, certainly in his first couple of seasons. Having such a willowy and lightweight presence in the midfield engine room was every bit as much a reason why we almost went out of the league - twice - as the technical limitations of Hourihane's teammates.

I'm not surprised he has fond memories of Argyle because pretty much no other club would have enabled him to get 100 or so league games under his belt aged 20/21. It's quite probable that he'd never have ultimately developed into a PL/Championship player if he'd spent that period at another club stagnating in the reserve team.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Conversely, I think it retrofits his subsequent career to a narrative of his time at Home Park.

He was evidently a good player, but very timid and peripheral, certainly in his first couple of seasons. Having such a willowy and lightweight presence in the midfield engine room was every bit as much a reason why we almost went out of the league - twice - as the technical limitations of Hourihane's teammates.

I'm not surprised he has fond memories of Argyle because pretty much no other club would have enabled him to get 100 or so league games under his belt aged 20/21. It's quite probable that he'd never have ultimately developed into a PL/Championship player if he'd spent that period at another club stagnating in the reserve team.
Interesting. We don't agree about this at all but that's fine, we don't have to!

Nov 17, 2020
Just listened to the excellent podcast of Charlie Price with Conor. Struck by a couple of things….
Firstly just what a good bloke he seems with very positive memories of his time at Home Park.
Second … Spoiler alert: his two best memories were his bookends… that Fletcher goal at Shrewsbury (also one of my best Argyle memories… cue IJN photo 😀) and his brace at Fratton Park.
I remember watching a pre season friendly before his first game, with Graham Clark; he was pinging the ball around like a cut price Pirlo; we looked at each other and said he is too good for us. I came to Argyle quite late in life. Got to say that he, and Lilian Nallis, are my two fave players in my time supporting the Greens.
At 31 he is a free agent…. surely some Midlands Championship club will pick him up but I would give an arm and a leg to see him in green again.
BG, do you have a link to this podcast - I cant find it anywhere. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Belfast Green