"Competent start" by Argyle | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

"Competent start" by Argyle

Jan 6, 2004
I would not say losing away at Bristol City was due to "mentality". I would say it was due to playing our reserve team who while capable of filling a hole in the first team individually are not good enough collectively to play at championship level. The one huge mistake Schuey has made in all his time here, but he has learned from it.

Bolton was the other embarrassment but I think that was down to mentality, Wembley got to the players.

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
I think that’s probably about the right word. We haven’t looked out of place nor have we harvested as many points as we would like. We are in a learning/transition phase. It’s not been a great start nor a poor one

Reactions: Belfast Green
Oct 10, 2018
mediocre or indifferent, the sentiment is correct.

No need to.panic yet but also.no need to get to excited either.

The positive play and spirit to attack with up lifting, however our ability on how and when to apply has been nieve at times and refreshing, so some good, and some bad, so indifferent.

Greendawe

♣️ PASALB Member
Mar 20, 2020
Whole team, including defenders, better going forwards in attack than backwards in defence. But making for a very exciting if nerve wracking season

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I think I’d have taken the points total at this stage, as you just never know how teams will adapt. We could have been winless and completely out of our depth, which we clearly haven’t been.

In particular, to be among the highest scorers in the league is a great achievement and incredibly promising.

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
Sounds like your 1st parents evening when your Child starts Secondary School
Hopefully we will have a glowing report at the end of the 1st year
A+ grade when we finish this season retaining our place in the Championship

Lancastergreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Cream First
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Jan 12, 2017
Plymouth
Sadly we don't have the players to get ugly, we don't have the defenders to keep many clean sheets but we do have exciting forward players.
It's not possible of course but if our forwards could keep up the levels for 100 minutes then we would be doing very well.
We are doing OK but haven't always got what we deserved from games but I think there are probably 5 or 6 teams that will be well below us so that has to be good.
Hopefully come the summer we will have 200 or so pages of how about so and so from whatever team but we pull off some signings that will outperform the current ones (defenders).
We certainly need a couple more good forwards but that's about it for now, no need to waste tonnes of money but use it wisely.
I would also like to see fans on here being a bit more forward thinking than the how about X player from non league... we are championship now not league two.
Other than that it's great to be back in the championship and taking on much bigger clubs, but boring hearing things like it's only plymouth we should be beating them easy.
Lack of respect from a lot of people who support established championship teams or yo yo prem teams.
I would say 6/10 so far, but plenty of room for improvement 😀

Aug 22, 2006
Not sure about some of your points Lancaster... this bit in particular - "Lack of respect from a lot of people who support established championship teams or yo yo prem teams."

Leeds fans on their forum and those I personally know were bricking the fixture against us as they knew it was a potential banana skin especially with our attacking midfielders and how we play. Even their manager praised us pre-match, not sure if that was picked up on pasoti. However it was our fault that we performed badly especially that first half. No one else's fault. Our fault we conceded late against Southampton and at various other matches. In the end Leeds fans were a little bit disappointed by us as well as with their own team for not putting the match to bed. However they still saw signs of quality in our attacking midfielders.

To give us a 6 after berating other teams for lack of respect is also a bit weird. Doesn't make sense. I'd actually give us an 8/10 for performances, 6/10 for results, so overall a 7.5, especially bearing in mind our wage bill which is next to nothing compared to some other clubs.

My major issue with the management and one that means for me they also get a 7.5 and not an 8 or 9 is the bizarre move not to replace Ennis, Mayor and Cosgrove. Just beggars belief. So of course what happens, Hardie, Bundu and Callum Wright pick up injuries. I don't care of the argument about the fact we were on the verge of signing Boro's Coburn. They had lost a striker or two in the summer and Carrick was half leading us on. We got done let's face it. On the positive side Azaz and Cundle have been decent loanies, as well as the signing of Bundu before his injury. Gibson decent at the back but we need to utilise Pleggy. Waste of a player on the bench. Hazard was fine but I appreciate what Cooper brings to the team although he is yet to match the heights of last season, so I consider Hazard's absence a tad unlucky. Also playing 4 at the back requiring 2 proper full backs is also a strange one considering the likes of:
Mumba - not fancied at Norwich in a back 4 - fine for us as he can play further forward, proven last season
Hayden - better playing as a wing back and wasn't all that impressive in a back 4 for Huddersfield
Miller - I think he's a quality player but is he a natural full back?
Gillesphey / Galloway - ok squad players but not sure if they cut it in Championship. Galloway probably the only natural full back we have actually but injury prone. Earley? Possibly.
Edwards - Can always do a job. What a player in terms of attitude and commitment but he can't play every game and he's not a natural full back.

However overall we've played some really good attacking football and that's what fans want. Had we accumulated 4 or 5 more points playing boring footie you'd all be moaning. So positive stuff but we need to be a bit more savvy in the transfer market and on the pitch. COYG'S!!

Jul 12, 2016
Not sure about some of your points Lancaster... this bit in particular - "Lack of respect from a lot of people who support established championship teams or yo yo prem teams."

Leeds fans on their forum and those I personally know were bricking the fixture against us as they knew it was a potential banana skin especially with our attacking midfielders and how we play. Even their manager praised us pre-match, not sure if that was picked up on pasoti. However it was our fault that we performed badly especially that first half. No one else's fault. Our fault we conceded late against Southampton and at various other matches. In the end Leeds fans were a little bit disappointed by us as well as with their own team for not putting the match to bed. However they still saw signs of quality in our attacking midfielders.

To give us a 6 after berating other teams for lack of respect is also a bit weird. Doesn't make sense. I'd actually give us an 8/10 for performances, 6/10 for results, so overall a 7.5, especially bearing in mind our wage bill which is next to nothing compared to some other clubs.

My major issue with the management and one that means for me they also get a 7.5 and not an 8 or 9 is the bizarre move not to replace Ennis, Mayor and Cosgrove. Just beggars belief. So of course what happens, Hardie, Bundu and Callum Wright pick up injuries. I don't care of the argument about the fact we were on the verge of signing Boro's Coburn. They had lost a striker or two in the summer and Carrick was half leading us on. We got done let's face it. On the positive side Azaz and Cundle have been decent loanies, as well as the signing of Bundu before his injury. Gibson decent at the back but we need to utilise Pleggy. Waste of a player on the bench. Hazard was fine but I appreciate what Cooper brings to the team although he is yet to match the heights of last season, so I consider Hazard's absence a tad unlucky. Also playing 4 at the back requiring 2 proper full backs is also a strange one considering the likes of:
Mumba - not fancied at Norwich in a back 4 - fine for us as he can play further forward, proven last season
Hayden - better playing as a wing back and wasn't all that impressive in a back 4 for Huddersfield
Miller - I think he's a quality player but is he a natural full back?
Gillesphey / Galloway - ok squad players but not sure if they cut it in Championship. Galloway probably the only natural full back we have actually but injury prone. Earley? Possibly.
Edwards - Can always do a job. What a player in terms of attitude and commitment but he can't play every game and he's not a natural full back.

However overall we've played some really good attacking football and that's what fans want. Had we accumulated 4 or 5 more points playing boring footie you'd all be moaning. So positive stuff but we need to be a bit more savvy in the transfer market and on the pitch. COYG'S!!
I wouldn’t be moaning if we had achieved 4 or 5 more points by playing less entertaining football. This season is all about maintaining our position in the championship and if that means being less adventurous on occasions then so be it.

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
We do not get a bonus point from being pretty on the eye
More concerning is the points we have lost from player error which could be the difference from either being above or below the dreaded dotted line come the end of the season

unhinched

🚑 Steve Hooper
Apr 16, 2016
The famous phrase " too good to go down ".
I believe we are too good to go down , as shown by the GD amongst other things, and have made a healthy start.
But that phrase has bitten a few on the a&@e - Forest I seem to remember once , who played attractive football, with Pearce, Webb, Clough Jnr and Keane amongst others. Having said that I doubt Schumacher is descending into alcoholism like Clough Snr was at the time and the surrounding health of the club provides an excellent framework for the manager and players to operate in..
Still I'd rather we came 16th playing technically good and attractive football ( which can be built on and produce income from selling players with the technical ability to go higher) than 13th playing Pulis style low scoring survival football on an Argyle budget- although I was very grateful for what Pulis did and he was a fine manager in his own way with some great loanees that season.
I agree with Mazza's ratings in terms of performances and results.

Reactions: greenpig27
Jan 6, 2004
We need to continue with our current attacking style but tempered with a more safety first approach playing out of defence. Yes let’s not always play the easy ball or mindlessly punt upfield but let’s not attempt to thread the eye of a needle in dangerous areas - we may want to play like Man City but we are not Man City