Colour blindness - Argyle related | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Colour blindness - Argyle related

Dreamgreen

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
Casually listening to Radio 4 this morning. They were telling the story that Wales v Ireland rugby will no longer be red versus green, because, apparently, those with the most profound colour blindness cannot separate red and green.

The interview went on to speak to Matt Holland, who himself is colour blind. He told the story that, when playing for Charlton, they were on a pre-season tour in the West Country, and played Argyle. Charlton only brought their red kit and he could not separate the teams, with Argyle, of course playing in a dark green.

There is a movement now, it seems, on behalf of those who suffer colour blindness, to ensure that all rugby, football (etc) teams have a clear distinction between light and dark colours.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Casually listening to Radio 4 this morning. They were telling the story that Wales v Ireland rugby will no longer be red versus green, because, apparently, those with the most profound colour blindness cannot separate red and green.

The interview went on to speak to Matt Holland, who himself is colour blind. He told the story that, when playing for Charlton, they were on a pre-season tour in the West Country, and played Argyle. Charlton only brought their red kit and he could not separate the teams, with Argyle, of course playing in a dark green.

There is a movement now, it seems, on behalf of those who suffer colour blindness, to ensure that all rugby, football (etc) teams have a clear distinction between light and dark colours.
I'm not colour blind but wouldn't it work if one team (all games) wore white socks and shorts and the other team wore black shorts and socks? :unsure:

Adam

Pasoti Designer
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Apr 5, 2010
Iā€™m colourblind and to me, this is going to make a huge difference.

I know itā€™s not to everyoneā€™s cup of tea, but I totally understand what Matt Holland is saying.

Itā€™s hard to explain, but the best example I can give is, if Argyle are playing a team in red thereā€™s been many times when out of nowhere an opposing player has appeared. Obviously they havenā€™t, but itā€™s because my brain just doesnā€™t register seeing them on the green pitch.

And even when it does register, I may not even be seeing the red as you are. Reds can often be mistaken for browns or oranges.

Also It explains why when Iā€™m designing kits that I may have chosen a different green to what most people often associate with Argyle!

Reds can be mistaken for Oranges or Browns.

Blues for Browns, Dark Green, Blacks.

This is a quick colour scale of how I would see colours compared those without colourblindness.

3F575E83-78C3-4704-9C98-C85872298FD0.jpeg

Dreamgreen

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
Adam, as someone who has suggested some great kits on this site, Iā€™m shocked you are colour blind !!

Reactions: Adam
May 8, 2011
I am colour blind but my main problem is that I canā€™t distinguish shades of colour.
Most of the time I canā€™t tell whether a shirt is black, brown, dark blue, dark red, dark green or dark grey. If someone ask whatā€™s that colour I just say dark.
Evening matches are worse. As an example at Portsmouth when the play was down the other end I couldnā€™t tell the two teams apart as the Portsmouth blue and the Argyle green looked the same.
On a different theme at the Crewe game when an Argyle player stood in front of the empty block on the Mayflower they blended in perfectly with the green seats and became impossible to see.

Mar 25, 2007
I am colour blind but my main problem is that I canā€™t distinguish shades of colour.
Most of the time I canā€™t tell whether a shirt is black, brown, dark blue, dark red, dark green or dark grey. If someone ask whatā€™s that colour I just say dark.
Evening matches are worse. As an example at Portsmouth when the play was down the other end I couldnā€™t tell the two teams apart as the Portsmouth blue and the Argyle green looked the same.
On a different theme at the Crewe game when an Argyle player stood in front of the empty block on the Mayflower they blended in perfectly with the green seats and became impossible to see.
Exactly the same as what I have.

Jan 7, 2016
Kernow
and goalkeeping shirts!
Far too often a goalkeeper looks to me like he is wearing the same shirt as an outfield player (either home or away). When I played (as a centre forward) I would complain several times a season that the opposing goalkeeper's shirt was indistinguishable from either my team's shirt or the defenders. Mostly the referees thought I was making trouble, but very occasionally I was taken seriously and the goalkeeper was ordered to change his shirt causing much consternation amongst the opposition's ranks.

I spent my entire working life in the printing industry, so have always been aware that one in five men are colour blind, and one in three, whilst not technically colour blind, see colours slightly differently to the other two thirds. Add to that the fact that all colours change under floodlight versus daylight, and I think there are excellent reasons for adopting some of these suggestions.

Sep 8, 2011
Preston, Lancs
Give me the test with the numbers in little coloured circles and I'm all over the place.
Fortunately, I'm not bad enough to get mixed up with that lot up the road.
Well, I hope not!

Reactions: smudja