Charlton v Argyle Match Thread | Page 23 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Charlton v Argyle Match Thread

MGM

āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Dec 7, 2021
If we as fans are not going to be realistic then we might as well get emotional, seems to be the narrative.

I mean playing tonight was Dan Scarr. A free transfer from Walsall.
MaCauley Gillesphy. A free transfer from Brisbane Roar. James Wilson a free transfer from Ipswich Town.

Now how many of them have played in a 3ATB formation before they came to Argyle? How many of them have been asked to play from the back, instead of giving it the big boot upfield?

Then you have our midfield. Houghton a free transfer from MK Dons. And a brilliant, but inexperienced youngster in Adam Randell.

Behind these, a young inexperienced keeper who is a brilliant shop stopper but has questionable decision making when playing out from the back.

Thats our platform to play out from the back. So my logic is that yes lm disappointed about tonightā€™s result. But they were asked to play in the manner they did tonight. In fact it was our mistakes that let Charlton in. Yet they did what they were asked. They just didnā€™t execute things at all well.

On Saturday they did.

We are inconsistent because you donā€™t just need to just be technical good with the ball. You need to be footballing intelligent. So are let down by inexperience. Some are let down because they canā€™t consistently stop making mistakes where they pass the ball into areas they shouldnā€™t.

In part, this building of an Argyle team was always going to be a test of patience. To find the right players at our budget. Promotion is a possibility, but you have to put it in context with our budget and our play style that makes errors very punishable.

Iā€™m not really sure what people expected if lm honest. We cant talk about budgets as thatā€™s being defeatist. We canā€™t seem to excuse these players for playing a style beyond their skill set. Yet if you merge the points you may find the answer to why we are inconsistent.

Got to use your head as a fan in these situations, not your heart.

JannerinCardiff

šŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æ
ā™£ļø SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Trying to cheer myself up. So hereā€™s 10 random positives from tonight (well this morning I got up at 4.45am for that!)

1) SS learnt a lot about his squad tonight. Big take away is we need a new more cautious away game plan.
2) All the squad got minutes. Galloway big plus get him into the team next game.
3) Whittaker scored.
4) We have Pan, Grant, Miller, Mayor, Bolton not playing so can get stronger
5) We could have well lost to Charlton with 11 anyway so in a way a big defeat will hopefully sharpen the teams reaction and focus
6) Chance to reshape the back three on Saturday. And is a combo of Scarr, Wilson and Gillesphie too slow for this formation? Galloway definitely starter and the the Dutch lad too.
7) Itā€™s still early season and clear not everyone is not 100% sharp yet.
8) We have played 3 teams who could be top 8 at end of season and we have beaten two of those sides.
9) Mk Dons, Oxford, Wycombe all doing worse than us. We are only 4 points off top. The league looks very open this year and I think we will see some strange results
10) The goals we gave away were still not as bad as Man United on Saturday vs Brentford!

Good to see positivity..

I think we might look back on this result and find it could have changed our defence potentially for the better. Like you said Galloway looks back to his best and surely has a claim to start the next match at LCB.

Then thereā€™s the RCB position that Wilson has vacated for a minimum of 3 matches - surely having a right footer would be better so best to go with Longwijk. This could well be our best back 3ā€¦

Dec 30, 2020
Lots of young and inexperienced players tonight... Cooper, Mumba, Randell, Azaz, Whittaker all aged 22 or under and only Coops with 100 league games under their belt in the starting line up

The lockdown season when we were on the end of a lot of heavy defeats we fielded some similarly young sides.

Even the most talented young players tend to be a little more error prone and indisciplined and a bit less reliable when they're under it.

I think the age/experience profile of the team needs to be different in future, especially in away games.

MGM

āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Dec 7, 2021
Absolutely bang on. 1. Gillesphey passed straight to their Right Winger. 2. Gillesphey lofts an insane back pass to Cooper. Cooper, rather than launching out of the stadium, tries to 'play out', gives it away, penalty, sending off. 3. Randell, under pressure, plays it across the pitch in his own half, gives it away.
Charlton were excellent, with Stockley, the loanee from Palace, Dobson and Morgan really impressing. But the first 3 goals and the red card were because we committed terrible, basic errors playing out.
If we are to have any semblance of hope of another play-off challenge, we have to become streetwise and clinical away from home. Currently we are neither, and haven't been since before the end of last season.
Galloway has to come in for Gillesphey on Saturday after both of their performances tonight, and presumably Longwijk will replace the suspended Wilson.
None of the midfield emerged with any credit tonight, and I include Whittaker in that. Yes he scored a quite brilliant goal, but he gave the ball away trying to do too much most of the rest of the time. Presumably Mayor had a niggle which is why he didn't get on the pitch tonight, but I would be putting him and Azaz back together on Saturday, if possible, with Houghton and Randell behind them. I'd stick with Hardie up top, but Ennis was quite bright in a lost cause.

Whittaker has the unfortunate ability of holding onto the ball too long instead of knowing when to release it.

Will be a frustrating player to watch this season unless someone gets hold of it to tell him pass the damn ball.

Reactions: JannerinCardiff

JannerinCardiff

šŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æ
ā™£ļø SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Whittaker has the unfortunate ability of holding onto the ball too long instead of knowing when to release it.

Will be a frustrating player to watch this season unless someone gets hold of it to tell him pass the damn ball.

I think Ennis said exactly that quite vocally to him on Saturday when Whittaker dribbled into trouble instead of playing the correct easy thru ball to Ennis who would have been 1 on 1 with the keeper.

Clearly didnā€™t have any affect - Whittaker still played like an individual tonight (although to his credit he did score an excellent goal).

Bovey Green lady

šŸš‘ Steve Hooper
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Apr 29, 2019
Lots of young and inexperienced players tonight... Cooper, Mumba, Randell, Azaz, Whittaker all aged 22 or under and only Coops with 100 league games under their belt in the starting line up

The lockdown season when we were on the end of a lot of heavy defeats we fielded some similarly young sides.

Even the most talented young players tend to be a little more error prone and indisciplined and a bit less reliable when they're under it.

I think the age/experience profile of the team needs to be different in future, especially in away games.
Err! Are you sure you are not Alan" you never win anything with kids" Hansen?

May 16, 2015
It has been mentioned time and time again but we just donā€™t have the financial budgets of many league 1 clubs. We over- achieved last season and many fans expect us to be competing for a play off spot again. I hope Iā€™m wrong but I donā€™t think we have enough squad depth or flexible tactics to finish in the top 6. Hallett has been great for the club but unless our player budget is increased significantly, the target of obtaining Championship football will become very difficult.

Princerock

ā™£ļø PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
Went to the Valley tonight with my son and grandson....who are Charlton ST holders.

It was bad enough last year losing 2-0 and ending our 16 game unbeaten run.

Just can't get our act together against this club....the only win in recent history was the FA Cup....when they didn't seem to bothered.

I think we need to take a Priest and do some sought of exorcism because to be honest Charlton aren't that good.