Charlton v Argyle Match Thread | Page 22 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Charlton v Argyle Match Thread

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
I saw Peter Swan play...... the worst player to wear argyle colours.

I too saw Peter Swan, but I can’t recall him playing as bad as that in one half.

RKB

♣️ PASTA Member
Jul 22, 2013
We seen the type of defending in league one for two years.

Whether it was a Opoku, Watts, Aimson to Wilson, Scarr & Gillesphy.

Whether it was 5-0 at Fleetwood or 5-1 tonight. The effort has always been there.

The players can’t figure out when to play out from the back and when not too. You simply need to sense the danger. And lm including Cooper in this too. He simply doesn’t recognise when to knock it long if danger is about.

I don’t think we played poorly. We just lost control of this match via poor decision making. That is where we are as club. Two years ago we blamed it young, experienced players. Today we are blaming experienced league one defenders. Unfortunately, we will keep giving teams chances by our poor decision making.

As an attacking unit l think the set up is looking better. Yet the lack of consistency with a cutting edge is again because of overall quality.

6 points out of 12 is OK. We played well in two. Lost badly in two. I think in both away games we showed glimpses of good things but l when your coming up against these bigger budgeted teams and you gift wrap chances you will be punished.

Stockley was their spearhead tonight. That is what Argyle lack as the single forward. Someone for the team to play off. Unfortunately, we can’t afford that calibre of player at this minute.

I feel there Is nothing to be too down hearted about. Just have to be realistic that if we continue to play this way more nights like tonight will happen because the players are being asked to go things that their skill set can’t do consistently.
Absolutely bang on. 1. Gillesphey passed straight to their Right Winger. 2. Gillesphey lofts an insane back pass to Cooper. Cooper, rather than launching out of the stadium, tries to 'play out', gives it away, penalty, sending off. 3. Randell, under pressure, plays it across the pitch in his own half, gives it away.
Charlton were excellent, with Stockley, the loanee from Palace, Dobson and Morgan really impressing. But the first 3 goals and the red card were because we committed terrible, basic errors playing out.
If we are to have any semblance of hope of another play-off challenge, we have to become streetwise and clinical away from home. Currently we are neither, and haven't been since before the end of last season.
Galloway has to come in for Gillesphey on Saturday after both of their performances tonight, and presumably Longwijk will replace the suspended Wilson.
None of the midfield emerged with any credit tonight, and I include Whittaker in that. Yes he scored a quite brilliant goal, but he gave the ball away trying to do too much most of the rest of the time. Presumably Mayor had a niggle which is why he didn't get on the pitch tonight, but I would be putting him and Azaz back together on Saturday, if possible, with Houghton and Randell behind them. I'd stick with Hardie up top, but Ennis was quite bright in a lost cause.

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Absolutely bang on. 1. Gillesphey passed straight to their Right Winger. 2. Gillesphey lofts an insane back pass to Cooper. Cooper, rather than launching out of the stadium, tries to 'play out', gives it away, penalty, sending off. 3. Randell, under pressure, plays it across the pitch in his own half, gives it away.
Charlton were excellent, with Stockley, the loanee from Palace, Dobson and Morgan really impressing. But the first 3 goals and the red card were because we committed terrible, basic errors playing out.
If we are to have any semblance of hope of another play-off challenge, we have to become streetwise and clinical away from home. Currently we are neither, and haven't been since before the end of last season.
Galloway has to come in for Gillesphey on Saturday after both of their performances tonight, and presumably Longwijk will replace the suspended Wilson.
None of the midfield emerged with any credit tonight, and I include Whittaker in that. Yes he scored a quite brilliant goal, but he gave the ball away trying to do too much most of the rest of the time. Presumably Mayor had a niggle which is why he didn't get on the pitch tonight, but I would be putting him and Azaz back together on Saturday, if possible, with Houghton and Randell behind them. I'd stick with Hardie up top, but Ennis was quite bright in a lost cause.

Totally agree with all of this RKB 👍

Reactions: RKB

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Mate he was shocking. I didn't see tonight but I defer to people that went or watched on TV.

He was poor over a season and made a mistake every game - but not as many as Gillesphey did in 45 mins.

I thought Gillesphey played decent on Sat, so I’m gutted for the lad but he really was poor particularly in the first half tonight.

Reactions: Andy B.
Mar 11, 2021
Tavistock
He was poor over a season and made a mistake every game - but not as many as Gillesphey did in 45 mins.

I thought Gillesphey played decent on Sat, so I’m gutted for the lad but he really was poor particularly in the first half tonight.
Thing is jic I didn't see first hand but we usually agree on most things so I'll defer to your view on it.
As for Swan it was what he cost that made it infinitely worse...I thought we were signing a good player.

Reactions: JannerinCardiff
Aug 16, 2021
Very strange game. Don’t feel too down for a thumping as we all know it ceased to be a meaningful contest at 2-0.
Before the collapse they were as guilty as we were in not keeping possession. Let’s see if they are consistent this season; On that evidence, more clinical teams will punish them.
The biggest disappointment, certainly when compared with Sat, was our work rate. We looked leggy and off the pace. Maybe that game in the heat took more out of us than we thought.
On the bright side Galloway is nearly there and Whittaker shows he has something about him.
Hopefully bounce back Sat.

Aug 6, 2022
We don't do well at the Valley. I've watched a number of our games away at theirs in the last few seasons and they have only ever been a completely bang average side. Stockley and Reyki-Saki are not going to fire them to promotion. Absolutely no chance. Not a patch on the quality of the likes of Peterborough, Wednesday, Ipswich etc. At our best we are better than them as we have shown against Peterborough and Barnsley, but today was an absolute shambles. Charlton are the very definition of a really ordinary midtable side but whenever we play them you would think there were 3 divisions between the sides. Real bogey ground.

Swaz

♣️ PASALB Member
Jan 25, 2011
bishops stortford
Too much messing around at the back leading to the first two goals. Just get rid of it when being pressed. They've obviously worked out how we try to play. We're League 1 technical ability, not Premier League. Brian Clough would be turning in his grave.

Reactions: Moorlander

Koala Green

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
✅ Evergreen
Mar 17, 2012
Trying to cheer myself up. So here’s 10 random positives from tonight (well this morning I got up at 4.45am for that!)

1) SS learnt a lot about his squad tonight. Big take away is we need a new more cautious away game plan.
2) All the squad got minutes. Galloway big plus get him into the team next game.
3) Whittaker scored.
4) We have Pan, Grant, Miller, Mayor, Bolton not playing so can get stronger
5) We could have well lost to Charlton with 11 anyway so in a way a big defeat will hopefully sharpen the teams reaction and focus
6) Chance to reshape the back three on Saturday. And is a combo of Scarr, Wilson and Gillesphie too slow for this formation? Galloway definitely starter and the the Dutch lad too.
7) It’s still early season and clear not everyone is not 100% sharp yet.
8) We have played 3 teams who could be top 8 at end of season and we have beaten two of those sides.
9) Mk Dons, Oxford, Wycombe all doing worse than us. We are only 4 points off top. The league looks very open this year and I think we will see some strange results
10) The goals we gave away were still not as bad as Man United on Saturday vs Brentford!

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Thing is jic I didn't see first hand but we usually agree on most things so I'll defer to your view on it.
As for Swan it was what he cost that made it infinitely worse...I thought we were signing a good player.

I think that’s it - We were a play off side then we signed Swan in the summer for £300k which was decent money in those days.

We promptly got relegated.

Last edited:

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
Computer programmed to play out from the back- we don't know any different- when it goes wrong the wheels well & truly fall off

Reactions: Swaz