Charlton v Argyle Match Thread | Page 27 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Charlton v Argyle Match Thread

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
I like Charlton and the way they play. They suffer the same inconsistencies as us, but I hope were both up there at the end fighting it out. I di like Stockley and Kirk, make very intelligent runs create their own space, would have them in my team. coyg

Yeah I quite like Kirk too to be fair.

Jannerz

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 30, 2022
If he starts on Saturday it should be instead of Hardie. He has an eye for goal, but not for the better passing option. If he and Hardie start then Hardie would be the better inside forward
Agree. If Schuey can coach Whittaker to lift his head and look for the pass, he could be a big player imo. If he can't and just has an eye for goal then he's more a 9 and cover for Hardie.

Greendawe

♣️ PASALB Member
Mar 20, 2020
I await the return fixture remembering well the1960 matches against Charlton.. Lost 6-4 away on 26 December and won 6-4 at home on 27 December with Wilf Carter scoring 5. So clearly the return match this year will be 5-1 to Argyle.

Look on the bright side

Reactions: Andy B.
Aug 6, 2022
What is with this "Sir" and the general sarcy tone of your response? I thought CAFC made his points in a fair and polite way, unlike some of the opposition people who come on here baiting and crowing.
That was in response to the poster called 'Daz', not to the Charlton fan. Sarcy meets sarcy.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
That was in response to the poster called 'Daz', not to the Charlton fan. Sarcy meets sarcy.
Whilst I don't do sarcy, I do acknowledge mistakes! But overall, I have to admit I was with Daz in the exchange😁

Aug 6, 2022
Fair assessment, for what its worth I don't think we are the finished article and would agree there are stronger teams in our league, Rak Sakyi comes with good pedigree but he's unknown, was his first game against you so I cannot say if he will fire us to promotion, all I know Is he was top scorer in PL2 last season so knows where the back of the net is, obviously that's not senior football but nothing else to go by. There is no doubting we need more goals to compete with the top end and a lot of fans are calling to sign another striker, but I would also say it's too early to judge. We have 8 league goals this season (ok yes skewed by 5-1 result) but it took us 8 games to get that many last year so we are already creating and scoring more. (expected with our new style of play)

As for how our 11 is stronger than last season, well only 2 players that started our 2-0 win vs you at home last season, started yesterday - Dobson , our POTY last year and Clare who played in a back 3 last year. We have a new manager and new formation/way of playing - we are completely different from last season, this is not the same Charlton as last season - will we improve? Possibly but I, like a lot of Charlton fans are cautious.

Yeah last season we got carried away with JJ when he first took over from Adkins but the damage was already done (2 wins out of 13) and we had too much dead wood last year, Watson, Arter, Pearce, Gunter etc all gone and replaced. We were playing wingers as strikers and/or wing backs and central midfielders and full backs as centre backs, our players didn't fit the system and we didn't have any tactical awareness - our good early form under JJ was mainly due to new manager bounce especially from having a club legend in charge.

My point was, last season yeah would agree we were bang average, at best. But historically we have been a strong team in this league for the most part, how you can judge we are bang average this season based on 4 games, when as I say our side is completely different to last year is beyond me - We might be, who knows. FWIW I like Plymouth and wish you good luck for the season.
I've absolutely no way of knowing. I just don't look at Charlton and see an immediate threat - but the window isn't closed yet and you still have time to replace Washington. But even without, I look through the side and don't see how it competes against Wednesday, Ipswich or Peterborough. They appear to be the strongest 3 in my view, followed not too far by Derby. The likes of Portsmouth and Argyle are well placed to finish higher than last season in my view. Then you have the threat of Bolton. Derby will be up there - they have signed Hourihane and other really top end L1 pros. Barnsley are always at the top end of L1. Oxford and Wycombe, kind of like us, will fancy their chances. I just don't view Charlton in the same bracket as any of the teams I have mentioned, and I've listed 10 teams there. For me that's the top 10 teams in the league. Charlton would probably lead the next pack. That's how I look at it, but the season is young. You are right though, I had a look at Charlton's teams from 5 or 6 seasons back and they had very good players for this standard. I was wrong there. Players like Joe Aribo, Fosu etc. Let's see how the season unfolds. Good luck to you also. I could be very well wrong.

Swaz

♣️ PASALB Member
Jan 25, 2011
bishops stortford
I await the return fixture remembering well the1960 matches against Charlton.. Lost 6-4 away on 26 December and won 6-4 at home on 27 December with Wilf Carter scoring 5. So clearly the return match this year will be 5-1 to Argyle.

Look on the bright side
Just bumped into the father of referee San Purkiss and mentioned the 6 v 4 matches in the early '60s. He said Sam will try to get this seasons home fixture and do his best to reverse the scoreline 5 v 1 to Argyle 😉

Sep 27, 2003
Paris
Sorry, I actually meant to say 'completely and utterly acceptable', which of course should be every football fan's reaction to a 5-1 defeat.

Sunshine lol.
Just because I said you were talking rubbish, which you were, you have now made yourself look childish..sunshine 😉