Championship moneys | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Championship moneys

Oct 31, 2015
I was just reading the Herald article about football finance from Kiran Mcquire.

1 quote with 2 x bits of info are eye watering

Average weekly wage is £16K😳
Average weekly losses are £400K😳😲😳😲😳😲😲

That is brutal. I hope the sustainable championship club model has these sort of losses in mind.

I also like the quote the championship is a "basket case league" because of the finances involved🤣🤣

• Wow
Reactions: MustardEagle
Feb 8, 2005
I was just reading the Herald article about football finance from Kiran Mcquire.

1 quote with 2 x bits of info are eye watering

Average weekly wage is £16K😳
Average weekly losses are £400K😳😲😳😲😳😲😲

That is brutal. I hope the sustainable championship club model has these sort of losses in mind.

I also like the quote the championship is a "basket case league" because of the finances involved🤣🤣
Now tell us something we don't know!

The club is still struggling to break even. There was a suggestion that we may make a very small profit but that hasn't been confirmed yet.

When the Club can make a profit and with the anticipated extra profit from the Conferencing facilities we may be able to hold our own, but the current challenge is getting there in the first place.

Mar 10, 2017
Ipplepen
Have to admit part of me doesn’t want us to go into the championship, how the hell are we supposed to compete on those figures ? I certainly wouldn’t want us taking risk financially just to try to survive. I know there are examples of smaller clubs doing it, but many of them (such as Luton) have owners prepared to invest megabucks.

Reactions: Argyleloyal
Jun 27, 2019
Makes a bit of a mockery of Simon Hallett's insistence that we can be competitive at that level.

We'd need a hell of a manager, a lot of luck and a set of players who won't leave the moment a better offer comes along.

Reactions: Lancastergreen

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Makes a bit of a mockery of Simon Hallett's insistence that we can be competitive at that level.

We'd need a hell of a manager, a lot of luck and a set of players who won't leave the moment a better offer comes along.

I can’t recall Simon Hallett saying we would be competitive in the championship - he said he aimed for Argyle to be a sustainable championship club.

Jun 27, 2019
I can’t recall Simon Hallett saying we would be competitive in the championship - he said he aimed for Argyle to be a sustainable championship club.
Pretty sure he said competitive on one of the fan forum things they did during lockdown.

Perhaps he meant sustainable as we certainly won't be competitive.

Lancastergreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Jan 12, 2017
Plymouth
Basically we have to wait until we get a billionaire owner in who won't worry about losses and leaving us where we were not so long ago.
Unless someone finds us players capable of making the grade for free/peanuts and get a huge sell on (not plymouth prices) we won't be stopping long in that league.
It is in effect a Premier B league now, the money in the game these days are ridiculous, this is why so many clubs crash so badly (Derby the latest) and some (Bury) go to the wall.
As much as we would like a reset in football it's not going to happen, look at the pandemic shut down, it still made little difference to the big clubs.
Championship football is possible but for just a season maybe two but we will fall back to league one and the possibility of a double relegation.
This probably explains why Simon is upgrading the stadium (resale value) rather than waste money on players!

Jun 4, 2015
Ford
I find myself asking what would be the actual point of being a Championship team in the first place? The limit of our reasonable ambitions would be to avoid relegation each season with virtually zero chance of a tilt at the playoffs or promotion to the PL. The best we can or even should hope for is to yo-yo between L1 and the Championship without investment on a scale we’ve never previously seen.

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
I find myself asking what would be the actual point of being a Championship team in the first place? The limit of our reasonable ambitions would be to avoid relegation each season with virtually zero chance of a tilt at the playoffs or promotion to the PL. The best we can or even should hope for is to yo-yo between L1 and the Championship without investment on a scale we’ve never previously seen.
What would the point be in being a League one club not interested in getting promotion to the Championship ,just happy to be top half every season , I suspect that attendances wouldn't take long to dwindle.

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
Listening to Kieran McGuire's price of football podcast yesterday he spoke about Lawrence Bassini's Birmingham City takeover plans- bearing in mind he has previous- what i heard was quiet scary- you either have a prudent chairman or a boom or bust chairman - we only have to look at the ongoing saga at Derby

I would rather have a solvent well run football club , than a club that can be extinguished in a blink of an eye when the authorities come calling

We all know football needs a wake up call & a well overdue reset but all the while silly money continues to be pumped into the game it will be an unlevel playing field with the haves & have nots , the top table not giving a toss about the lower leagues because they are sat pretty hearing plenty of cha ching whilst the lower leagues struggle

Kieran McGuire talks a lot of sense

Feb 8, 2005
Basically we have to wait until we get a billionaire owner in who won't worry about losses and leaving us where we were not so long ago.
Unless someone finds us players capable of making the grade for free/peanuts and get a huge sell on (not plymouth prices) we won't be stopping long in that league.
It is in effect a Premier B league now, the money in the game these days are ridiculous, this is why so many clubs crash so badly (Derby the latest) and some (Bury) go to the wall.
As much as we would like a reset in football it's not going to happen, look at the pandemic shut down, it still made little difference to the big clubs.
Championship football is possible but for just a season maybe two but we will fall back to league one and the possibility of a double relegation.
This probably explains why Simon is upgrading the stadium (resale value) rather than waste money on players!
I cannot think that Hallett has any alternative motive in upgrading the stadium other than improving if for future use.

The club is being run as a business. Improvements are being made to improve our stadium now, when we can afford it, rather than increase our spend in the future when perhaps we will have a more pressing need for the money to be spent in other areas, eg player budgets.

Fans will always want every pound to be spent on players, but this has proven to be a very risky way of spending your profits, and can result in ultimately bringing down the club financially, as has been seen by the many clubs who have taken the risk and lost.

Realistic budgets have to be made and strongly stuck to.

Spending in order to maximise future profit has to take priority, always providing that the playing budget does not get squeezed. There is no evidence of this occurring here.

Both owner and manager will be able to sit down and work out what is required for the seasonal playing budget, with reserves available if required throughout the season.

Good businesses will look to ensure that the future is always sustainable, and that profit is spread throughout the club and not just in one particular area.

Common sense, really.

Lancastergreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Jan 12, 2017
Plymouth
I cannot think that Hallett has any alternative motive in upgrading the stadium other than improving if for future use.

The club is being run as a business. Improvements are being made to improve our stadium now, when we can afford it, rather than increase our spend in the future when perhaps we will have a more pressing need for the money to be spent in other areas, eg player budgets.

Fans will always want every pound to be spent on players, but this has proven to be a very risky way of spending your profits, and can result in ultimately bringing down the club financially, as has been seen by the many clubs who have taken the risk and lost.

Realistic budgets have to be made and strongly stuck to.

Spending in order to maximise future profit has to take priority, always providing that the playing budget does not get squeezed. There is no evidence of this occurring here.

Both owner and manager will be able to sit down and work out what is required for the seasonal playing budget, with reserves available if required throughout the season.

Good businesses will look to ensure that the future is always sustainable, and that profit is spread throughout the club and not just in one particular area.

Common sense, really.
I agree with a lot of that, my view though is he is making his house look pretty for a future sale, adding value to the stadium makes sense as the playing squad sells nothing to a buyer, they are disposable.
Simon doesn't have the money for championship football, so he will either need a backer or a buyer, I'm guessing he's teeing up for a future buyer and why not?
It is as you say a business after all.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
I agree with a lot of that, my view though is he is making his house look pretty for a future sale, adding value to the stadium makes sense as the playing squad sells nothing to a buyer, they are disposable.
Simon doesn't have the money for championship football, so he will either need a backer or a buyer, I'm guessing he's teeing up for a future buyer and why not?
It is as you say a business after all.

I agree - I think Simon is enhancing his asset (Home Park) to make it more attractive to a future buyer.

Reactions: Lancastergreen

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Surely to be a sustainable club in the Championship, we would have to be competitive to some degree. Aren't they entwined?

Reactions: Swaz