Camara made available for transfer | Page 33 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Camara made available for transfer

Frank the Phone

🚑 Steve Hooper
Feb 19, 2021
Well Keane's Wikipedia page remembers him as a "dominating box-to-box midfielder, noted for his aggressive and highly competitive style of play".
Keane himself in an interview with Gary Neville said he never regarded himself as a world class player, all he thought he did was run around a lot, show desire and put a foot in (which any other player could have done).

These goals are not typical positions for a midfielder who has been asked to just sit and screen the back four. You won't catch Jordan Houghton making runs like those. Keane was always a busy player, like Pan Camara, always moving and on his way somewhere.
Keane's goal scoring record is actually very surprising.

Apr 30, 2011
Aren't all 3 of your examples of Keane, Viera and Kante defensive type midfielders? - Pan plays number 8 with a specific defensive midfielder behind him. He should have more relative goal contributions than any of those players you've listed purely based on he fact he starts higher up the pitch.
I'd agree to an extent. Difficult to compare as those midfielders generally played in a 4 - 4 - 2 as the holding midfielder. Keane would get forward more when he was playing alongside Nicky Butt. But Pan's real value which I'd guess is fairly difficult to quantify statistically is the ball retrieval and forced errors he creates in the opposition half. Most 'ball winners' play in a defensive midfield role - Pan does this but much higher up the pitch. He also is good dribbling and retaining possession which means the whole team can reshape and look to make forward runs. He should score more goals than he does, the fact he doesn't take penalties and is not a dead ball expert results in less goals and assists compared to other midfield players.

Feb 21, 2011
I'd agree to an extent. Difficult to compare as those midfielders generally played in a 4 - 4 - 2 as the holding midfielder. Keane would get forward more when he was playing alongside Nicky Butt. But Pan's real value which I'd guess is fairly difficult to quantify statistically is the ball retrieval and forced errors he creates in the opposition half. Most 'ball winners' play in a defensive midfield role - Pan does this but much higher up the pitch. He also is good dribbling and retaining possession which means the whole team can reshape and look to make forward runs. He should score more goals than he does, the fact he doesn't take penalties and is not a dead ball expert results in less goals and assists compared to other midfield players.
Pan good at retaining possession is quite some statement, i'd say he lost possession far more than is acceptable and his passing was awful, he did win the ball often though shame he couldn't get it to someone who could play more often.

Reactions: memory man
Feb 13, 2021
Pan! I would say his long legs often win him the ball and his running with the ball gets you excited! But then it’s mainly a big sigh as he gives it back to the opposition or shoots very wide of the target! He is nowhere near a finished article but i could understand someone taking a punt to smooth a very rough diamond! If he stays for a while then good but if he goes not a massive loss! My opinion!

Dec 16, 2004
I agree with most of what has been said above re Pan. We don't want to lose him because he is a lovable character and he is exciting. If judged purely on what he creates he is actually quite poor. His greatest assets, I think, are clearly his energy, which does inhibit the opposition in midfield, and his ability to harry and win the ball. It's where the ball ultimately ends up that is his weakness. Whilst Mayor does, arguably, "assist the assistor" Pan seems to either play a poor pass or a rubbish shot. Hope he stays cos I like him but I don't think his departure will be a great loss.

Jul 13, 2006
The que
Pan! I would say his long legs often win him the ball and his running with the ball gets you excited! But then it’s mainly a big sigh as he gives it back to the opposition or shoots very wide of the target! He is nowhere near a finished article but i could understand someone taking a punt to smooth a very rough diamond! If he stays for a while then good but if he goes not a massive loss! My opinion!
The question must be can he be polished by someone else or us?

Nov 3, 2006
You could move Edwards into Camara’s position. He has his engine and he gets in the box well.

Solves the engine problem. Although we need another to go alongside him or at least give him competition.

Would mean we need a new RWB but then we need more creativity on the flanks anyhow.
Edwards can't drop a shoulder and beat a man, but Camara could.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Edwards can't drop a shoulder and beat a man, but Camara could.

Edwards can’t tackle like Camara either, in fact I don’t see anyone that can - Pan just always comes away with the ball.

Reactions: Paul H

NLG

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 16, 2006
I like Camera a lot and its a shame he is likely to be leaving, however I think people are over remembering his abilities. A few games where he was a liability and couldn't tackle or pass. Others where he was ok for one half of the game. He is a talent, but someone with maybe more consistency and slightly less potential may actually add more to the team over a season.

Apr 1, 2009
Interesting to read the differing views on Pan which seem to support my view that he is very difficult to value. At his best he can be a very dominant force in a L1 midfield - always winning the ball, constantly working from side to side and from box to box. Even on these good days, however, the obvious weaknesses are there - the final ball, the wild finishing, and the lack of aerial dominance given that he has height. On a bad day he can be pretty poor, cumbersome, and appearing to lack a good football brain. His value is enhanced in the view of many fans by his popularity - he plays with a smile on his face, works hard, and gives every impression that he loves the club. There's also constant talk of his potential, more so than for the average 25yo footballer, but he is a late developer and said potential is certainly there. However there is absolutely no guarantee that he will fulfil it.

If you are valuing a house, it's pretty easy if the identical property next door has just sold for £xk. It is less easy if there is no comparable house, with the valuer having to speculate how much someone would be prepared to pay for a unique property. In footballer terms Pan is very much in the second category. If he moved to a Championship Club he might quickly be star, or he might struggle with the step up. Whilst the last statement is true of most players, the extremities are wider with a player like Pan. How much will someone be prepared to pay, with a year left on his contract? I haven't a clue, and I don't think many others have either.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Interesting to read the differing views on Pan which seem to support my view that he is very difficult to value. At his best he can be a very dominant force in a L1 midfield - always winning the ball, constantly working from side to side and from box to box. Even on these good days, however, the obvious weaknesses are there - the final ball, the wild finishing, and the lack of aerial dominance given that he has height. On a bad day he can be pretty poor, cumbersome, and appearing to lack a good football brain. His value is enhanced in the view of many fans by his popularity - he plays with a smile on his face, works hard, and gives every impression that he loves the club. There's also constant talk of his potential, more so than for the average 25yo footballer, but he is a late developer and said potential is certainly there. However there is absolutely no guarantee that he will fulfil it.

If you are valuing a house, it's pretty easy if the identical property next door has just sold for £xk. It is less easy if there is no comparable house, with the valuer having to speculate how much someone would be prepared to pay for a unique property. In footballer terms Pan is very much in the second category. If he moved to a Championship Club he might quickly be star, or he might struggle with the step up. Whilst the last statement is true of most players, the extremities are wider with a player like Pan. How much will someone be prepared to pay, with a year left on his contract? I haven't a clue, and I don't think many others have either.
Very good post.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff

Fair points. I think if you’re paying for the potential that Pan has got in respect of his attributes that are super human being his fitness, ability to win the ball and bring it forward then he’s a million pound player in my eyes - as I’ve hardly seen any player ever at any level do the things he can do.

He doesn’t do it every match tho and he does have some weaknesses regarding his shooting but perhaps this could be improved through coaching.

In taking the whole Pan package with his pluses and minuses/ he’s certainly an excellent player and one I think we would miss so I think his value should be somewhere around the £250-350k mark. If we don’t receive a bud in that region it probably better we don’t sell as at least we’ll have a great player for another year on lesser wages.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ponty and saxman
Sep 2, 2008
As with everything, things are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them.

I really cant see him playing regularly in the Championship. League one is his ceiling imo.

I actually think that Randall is a much better prospect. Can pick a pass, good at set pieces, strong on the ball, good vision/balance, composed on the ball and has a decent engine. He also wins his fair share of aerial battles which indicates to me that he can pick out the flight of the ball very quickly which is a skill a lot of footballers don't have.

I wouldn't bat an eyelid if Camara went but I would be a bit cheesed off if they let Randall go. He is a player.