Apr 3, 2013

Bristol Rovers
Club website
Ground guide
Fans' forum
Club Twitter

The countdown to Bristol Rovers

Tuesday

The referee for the game is Will Finnie who so far this season has shown 64 yellow cards and one red in 16 games. He was the man in the middle for Argyle's 2-2 draw against Oldham at Home Park in September.
He will be assisted on Sunday by Dean Treleaven and Mike Desborough while the fourth official is Ravel Cheosiaua.

The winner of the tie will receive Ā£54,000 in prize money.

The draw for the Third Round of the FA Cup will take place on Monday 2 December at 7pm live from the Etihad Stadium on BBC2, this is when the Premier League and Championship clubs enter the competition.

Hospitality at the match .... club website

Wednesday

The match is now all-ticket for Rovers fans.

Tickets for Argyle fans go on general sale today at 9.15am or usually slightly later.

According to Sky Bet Bristol Rovers are favourites to win with odds of 13/10, an Argyle win is ranked at 19/10 and the draw is on offer at 23/10.

Match video preview with Rovers coach Kevin Maher .....BR club website

Argyle fans have snapped up 1,600 tickets with only a few hundred remaining on sale - 155 seating tickets and 100 standing tickets.

Thursday

The game will feature on the Final Score programme on BBC1 at 1.50pm where there will be live reports from the Memorial Ground, each club will receive Ā£12,500 in TV fees.

Rovers midfielder Liam Sercombe looks ahead to the game ... BR club website video

Bristol Rovers and Argyle are ball number 64 in the draw for the FA Cup Third Round.

The Green Taverners Suite will be showing a live beam back of the game ... club website

Inside Bristol Rovers

Friday

Ian Holloway gives a preview of the match and talks about past encounters...Bristol Post

Former Pilgrims David Norris and Brian McGlinchey talk about playing alongside Rovers manager Graham Coughlan while at Argyle ....
Bristol Post

Saturday

Match preview ... BR club website

Focus on Argyle ... BR club website

Rovers midfielder Liam Sercombe talks about his rivalry with Argyle when he played for Exeter City ....
Bristol Post
"IĀ do enjoy playing against them. I used to get a bit of stick when I was playing against them for Exeter, and Iā€™ve scored a couple against them so itā€™d be nice to get the win and move into the third round of the FA Cup."

Sunday

Ryan Lowe talks about playing on a Sunday .... club website
ā€œIt doesnā€™t make much difference. We adapted our week and still had the normal prep for the game as we would on a Saturday.
ā€œThe kick-off is an hour early, so we just get up an hour earlier. Weā€™ll be in a hotel down there on Saturday night and doing everything properly."

Striker Dom Telford talks about playing against his former club ...
ā€œWe have a long way to go, Bristol Rovers are a good side and are doing well in the league, so we will go there looking for the win and see how it goes.
ā€œIā€™m looking forward to it. I enjoyed my time there, I met some great people and itā€™s always nice in football when you go back to teams that you have played for previously.
ā€œHopefully, itā€™ll be a good day for us.ā€

Ryan Lowe looks ahead to the game ....club website

Lundan Cabbie

āšŖļø Pasoti Visitor āšŖļø
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Why every week is the first thing said about the appointed referee is the number of cards that he has been forced to show? Cautions and sending offs are a consequence of the actions of players and not the officials.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Lundan Cabbie":2nsylaal said:
Why every week is the first thing said about the appointed referee is the number of cards that he has been forced to show? Cautions and sending offs are a consequence of the actions of players and not the officials.

Yes - if you presume that the officials are all equally competent, have relationship with players and never make a mistake!

G

gascast_tom

Hi Pasoti!

I spoke to Adam from Argyle Life this week to preview Sundays game and thought it might be of interest to you guys. I've seen you've nearly sold out your allocation so should be a good atmosphere. We haven't got anywhere near selling out yet which is disappointing but fingers crossed we'll shift some more tickets.

In this scout report episode Adam from Argyle Life talks to Mets about the FA Cup second round clash at the Mem on Sunday.

Adam speaks about the rebuilding job Ryan Lowe has done at Home Park and some of the ex-bury stars he's brought with him.

They also speak about Jose Baxter's departure, Argyle legend Graham Coughlan and if Rovers recent performance against Shrewsbury could hold the key to knocking Argyle out of the cup.

http://listen.gascastpodcast.co.uk/2766 ... h-argyle-h

bodspafc

šŸ‡°šŸ‡Ŗ Welicar Donor
Aug 8, 2005
Bristol
gascast_tom":3pcir2rp said:
Hi Pasoti!

I spoke to Adam from Argyle Life this week to preview Sundays game and thought it might be of interest to you guys. I've seen you've nearly sold out your allocation so should be a good atmosphere. We haven't got anywhere near selling out yet which is disappointing but fingers crossed we'll shift some more tickets.

In this scout report episode Adam from Argyle Life talks to Mets about the FA Cup second round clash at the Mem on Sunday.

Adam speaks about the rebuilding job Ryan Lowe has done at Home Park and some of the ex-bury stars he's brought with him.

They also speak about Jose Baxter's departure, Argyle legend Graham Coughlan and if Rovers recent performance against Shrewsbury could hold the key to knocking Argyle out of the cup.

http://listen.gascastpodcast.co.uk/2766 ... h-argyle-h

Thanks, I'll have a listen now!

Aug 28, 2015
argyle.life
Opposition View: Bristol Rovers v Plymouth Argyle

We usually roll out with a tried-and-tested 5-3-2 formation, with the wing-backs pushing very high up the pitch, however against Shrewsbury we tried a new 3-4-3/5-2-3 shape, which was much more attacking (and not so solid defensively), as seen in the 4-3 scoreline. I think at home in the cup we will roll out with the basic 5-3-2 weā€™re used to seeing, thatā€™s what we deployed against Bromley and I can see us sticking to our guns there.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
haven't been to an away match for many a year.however,i don't open our shop on Sunday so up to my brothers after 5PM in Wiltshire and tomorrow on the train to Bristol.Forget about black Friday let's make it a green Sunday! :thumbup:

The head to heads on GOS show quite a healthy win per games ratio : http://greensonscreen.co.uk/gosdb-resul ... LL&s1=&s2=

I remember the 1992 cup game, that was on a Sunday too, at Twerton. We lost 5-0 and was a fight between two blokes on the away terrace. Plus Iā€™d stood with local (then) non-league Crawley fans at The Goldstone the day before, when Brighton beat them 6-0. So a 0-11 weekend.

Staying at home this weekend :facepalm:

memory man

āœ… Evergreen
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Penlee":1u09sy7k said:
Very interesting piece by Holloway in the Bristol paper particularly the bit regarding Jock Morrison

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/foo ... vs-3589606
One of the things I really like about the modern game is that players are no longer lauded for their thuggery. A lot of the so-called "hardmen" of yesteryear wouldn't have been able to play professionally had they been made to stick to the rules.

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
memory man":1l1zghh3 said:
Penlee":1l1zghh3 said:
Very interesting piece by Holloway in the Bristol paper particularly the bit regarding Jock Morrison

One of the things I really like about the modern game is that players are no longer lauded for their thuggery. A lot of the so-called "hardmen" of yesteryear wouldn't have been able to play professionally had they been made to stick to the rules.

I agree and it was the same at amateur level. I recall turning an opposition right back inside out for the entirety of a match...when he got his chance he launched a knee high tackle at me snapping my anterior cruciate ligament. I managed to carry on playing all sorts of sport (despite advice from the medical profession) and still do, but haven't had a day over 40 years without some sort of discomfort. I'm an easy going bloke but if I could ever find the guy who did it I would do him some damage.
The referee didn't even book the bugger...these days I probably could have done him for assault.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Yep, still get it now. Even in 5-a-side.

The phrases ā€˜itā€™s a contact sport, mateā€™ and ā€˜itā€™s a manā€™s gameā€™ seem to justify physical assault on a pitch. Ironically the perpetrators will almost certainly be fans of a modern day game that has completely moved away from that sort of physicality.

memory man

āœ… Evergreen
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Old Gunner":b1ed9fn2 said:
memory man":b1ed9fn2 said:
Penlee":b1ed9fn2 said:

I agree and it was the same at amateur level. I recall turning an opposition right back inside out for the entirety of a match...when he got his chance he launched a knee high tackle at me snapping my anterior cruciate ligament. I managed to carry on playing all sorts of sport (despite advice from the medical profession) and still do, but haven't had a day over 40 years without some sort of discomfort. I'm an easy going bloke but if I could ever find the guy who did it I would do him some damage.
The referee didn't even book the bugger...these days I probably could have done him for assault.
Interesting. I used to be on a local FB page but became so tired of the posts which celebrated how hard this player or that player was. Glad you made some sort of recovery.

memory man

āœ… Evergreen
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Biggs":1v03dkjo said:
Yep, still get it now. Even in 5-a-side.

The phrases ā€˜itā€™s a contact sport, mateā€™ and ā€˜itā€™s a manā€™s gameā€™ seem to justify physical assault on a pitch. Ironically the perpetrators will almost certainly be fans of a modern day game that has completely moved away from that sort of physicality.
You have it dead right. The contact and man's game remarks have long been used as camouflage. All I wish to see now is the end of wrestling at set pieces!!