Bristol City match day thread. | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Bristol City match day thread.

Monster Green

Cream First
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jan 12, 2007
Plymouth
Another competent performance from Argyle.
It’s remarkable that after last season’s travails the defence now seems the strongest part of the team. Lowe did very well in recruiting mayor and Ennis- but could it be, that Lowe’s best signing has arrived on a free transfer from Walsall ?
We’re still short of a few players, if we want to make a real challenge in league 1, in my opinion.
The priority signing, in my opinion, is going to be a top quality right winger. I think that this is the key to giving us the pace and width- that’s going to make us difficult for other teams to contain us. I think that this is also the key to unlocking the space and creating opportunities for our strikers.

It’s interesting to read the comments about Luke Jephcott. Luke puts me very much in mind of Kevin Gallen, who was a very useful player for us under Ian Holloway. Gallen linked the midfield and strikers. He used to drift in on the blind side and got a few goals for us. I think that Luke will do very much the same for us ( and we’ve already had a glimpse of the sort of runs he can make, with that first half chance), once suitable reinforcements arrive .....
Do you mean RWB, as we are not playing with wingers....?

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
City are not a decent Championship side - they were lucky not to be in the relegation fight last season. They went badly backwards last season.
They'll be up there challenging for a play off spot.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Another competent performance from Argyle.
It’s remarkable that after last season’s travails the defence now seems the strongest part of the team. Lowe did very well in recruiting mayor and Ennis- but could it be, that Lowe’s best signing has arrived on a free transfer from Walsall ?
We’re still short of a few players, if we want to make a real challenge in league 1, in my opinion.
The priority signing, in my opinion, is going to be a top quality right winger. I think that this is the key to giving us the pace and width- that’s going to make us difficult for other teams to contain us. I think that this is also the key to unlocking the space and creating opportunities for our strikers.

It’s interesting to read the comments about Luke Jephcott. Luke puts me very much in mind of Kevin Gallen, who was a very useful player for us under Ian Holloway. Gallen linked the midfield and strikers. He used to drift in on the blind side and got a few goals for us. I think that Luke will do very much the same for us ( and we’ve already had a glimpse of the sort of runs he can make, with that first half chance), once suitable reinforcements arrive .....
‘Top quality right winger’- Yes!!

RKB

♣️ PASTA Member
Jul 22, 2013
James Bolton could well play RWB when fit. That means Joe Edwards could be pushed alongside Danny Mayor at RCM. Based on his ability to get on the end of things in the box, he could be the real deal in there

Reactions: greensalt

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
even tho we lost I thought we were the better team overall. This team will certainly finish higher in League 1 than last season.

May 8, 2011
I would be interested in the reason unlike Middlesbrough and Swansea, Bristol City used the temporary changing rooms under the Barn Park End.
Have the Covid protocols from last season been reinstated or was Bristol City just applying stricter Covid mitigation policies?

Sep 6, 2006
I would be interested in the reason unlike Middlesbrough and Swansea, Bristol City used the temporary changing rooms under the Barn Park End.
Have the Covid protocols from last season been reinstated or was Bristol City just applying stricter Covid mitigation policies?
And do we care really?

Reactions: kernow19
Jul 28, 2020
Do you mean RWB, as we are not playing with wingers....?
Your right.we don’t play with two wingers- only one ( Danny mayor) and a right midfield (camara).

I used to enjoy watching Ian Holloway’s side 2006-2007. They used to regularly play with two wingers and two strikers. That team were quite a sight to see, when playing well. They had some really good wingers- Scott Sinclair, Lee Martin, David Norris, Peter Halmosi.
There are a lot of similarities between Lowes style of play and Holloway’s. ....

could we replicate that style of play - and play a side including two wing backs, two wingers and two strikers ? I would like to think so. That would mean that the two wing backs would need to push forward to support Houghton ? in midfield, a striker ( jephcott ?) would need to dig back to support the midfield , the wingers would need to do draw back and do some “spade work” out of possession , and a centre back ( Gillespye ?) would need to push forward into midfield at times.

To make that system would require a lot of running and hard work from the players, but I’d love Lowe to give it a go .....

Sep 20, 2005
Stockholm
I can't find the exact stats, but based on the match report on the baggo we had four shots on target and they had two...

My main concern is that we aren't clinical enough, but to suggest we aren't creating any chances is nonsense.

Dec 30, 2011
I can't find the exact stats, but based on the match report on the baggo we had four shots on target and they had two...

My main concern is that we aren't clinical enough, but to suggest we aren't creating any chances is nonsense.

4 shots on target in 90 mins is not creating nearly enough

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Your right.we don’t play with two wingers- only one ( Danny mayor) and a right midfield (camara).

I used to enjoy watching Ian Holloway’s side 2006-2007. They used to regularly play with two wingers and two strikers. That team were quite a sight to see, when playing well. They had some really good wingers- Scott Sinclair, Lee Martin, David Norris, Peter Halmosi.
There are a lot of similarities between Lowes style of play and Holloway’s. ....

could we replicate that style of play - and play a side including two wing backs, two wingers and two strikers ? I would like to think so. That would mean that the two wing backs would need to push forward to support Houghton ? in midfield, a striker ( jephcott ?) would need to dig back to support the midfield , the wingers would need to do draw back and do some “spade work” out of possession , and a centre back ( Gillespye ?) would need to push forward into midfield at times.

To make that system would require a lot of running and hard work from the players, but I’d love Lowe to give it a go .....
Your mention of Scott Sinclair and Peter Halmosi reminds me of Hughie Macauley and Brian Johnson in the Mariner/Rafferty era.
We’ve strengthened our defence, now let’s create danger from both flanks.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
If people can’t see the positives from yesterday’s performance then god help us.

I’m vocally critical of argyle quite often but I came away from yesterday’s match very happy and optimistic with how we played.

Yes we lost and No we didn’t score but everything else was there against a superior higher league opposition.

We were very well organised, composed on and off the ball and played some fantastic football on the counter.

There are and always will be areas to work on and/or improve but it’s all about building this new team up and getting it to function competitively. For the few that think we are going to put 2/3/4 goals past championship opposition and not concede … get real ffs.

Against lesser opposition we will undoubtedly have more of the ball thus creating more chances against slightly weaker players which could lead to better chances being converted into goals.

Really not sure what some people’s expectations are this time round.