Brief Synopsis (Lincoln) | Page 9 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis (Lincoln)

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
Have a look at the highlights. , most of Lincolns best moments involve Critchlow being out of position, or not strong enough. He was completely at fault for the second goal . A centre back who fails to get off the ground in that situation is pathetic. Camara looks at him in disbelief. In the first half Houghton had to speak to him about his positioning. Now to be clear I am not saying he is a poor player, what I am saying is that he clearly had not idea where he should be positioned in a back three. He did not receive the ball once from Cooper and our whole system is based on the Centre backs going wide, he had no idea what to do. He defended narrow which caused major problems. It just looked to me like another young defender not used to our system being thrown under the bus. Rather like Watts last year who almost gave up, he found it so difficult and yet he is a really good player. How Critchlow can be some peoples MOM when his failure caused the oppositions winning goal is beyond me.
Interesting analysis EG and far keener, tactically, than I had previously considered.

Just on what he achieved (rather than overall positioning) I thought Critchlow had a great debut - including the prevention of two certain goals in the first half. Yes, he was outjumped for the winner but he was not alone in that - Wilson (I think) also challenged for that ball. Critchlow looked calm, confident and assured on the ball and the vast majority of his passes found their target.

Just my view, but it always fascinates me when there are diametrically opposed opinions on a player from those who have watched the same match. I guess that is what PASOTI is there for. (y)

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
It’s worked for us first half.

Second half we had warning shot after warning shot and still didn’t deal with it.

I think SS will be a very good coach/manager and he’s early in his management days but something should have been done so much sooner.

Im not saying it would have got us more points but to be that easily exposed down the flanks and to not act was criminal. Any more experienced manager would have done something. It was crying out for a back 4 or going back to a 5 with a sun needed for a striker.

Chris

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Jan 23, 2022
They had only won 2 of their previous 10 games before us. I wouldn't call that "in form"

I felt we were just as good as them. But lost it to naive tactics by the manager. We don't have poor defenders like last season. We just needed to keep it tight for a bit whilst they had their tails up. Scarr and Wilson are too slow to play such a high line against pacey attackers. They needed support which the manager neglected to give them.
That's three.

Sep 6, 2006
Interesting analysis EG and far keener, tactically, than I had previously considered.

Just on what he achieved (rather than overall positioning) I thought Critchlow had a great debut - including the prevention of two certain goals in the first half. Yes, he was outjumped for the winner but he was not alone in that - Wilson (I think) also challenged for that ball. Critchlow looked calm, confident and assured on the ball and the vast majority of his passes found their target.

Just my view, but it always fascinates me when there are diametrically opposed opinions on a player from those who have watched the same match. I guess that is what PASOTI is there for. (y)
True but Ealing Green previously stated Critchlow had a 'diabolical' game which was a ridiculous comment. Especially for a player who came 2nd in mom scores!

Sep 6, 2006
They had only won 2 of their previous 10 games before us. I wouldn't call that "in form"

I felt we were just as good as them. But lost it to naive tactics by the manager. We don't have poor defenders like last season. We just needed to keep it tight for a bit whilst they had their tails up. Scarr and Wilson are too slow to play such a high line against pacey attackers. They needed support which the manager neglected to give them.
3 wins in last 4 games now all against teams in top 6(top 7 now!). Would you call that form? You see you can do what you like with stats!

Jun 18, 2005
born St. Columb, Cornwall
Mayor isn't fit to lace Carey's boots
Carey and Mayor are very different types of players, both with strengths and weaknesses. I love watching Mayor run at defenders using that amazing close control, and the way he releases (particularly) Conor Grant into the created space. I greatly miss GC10 for those unbelievable strikes on goal!

Reactions: chester

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
Agreed. Some of them remind me of the "floaty" corners produced for an entire season by Bobby Reid (or whatever he calls himself now).

Yeah. Totally agree.

There must be a formula behind it all. As it’s not just us that do it. Ive seen it a few times at HP over the years where corners are drilled in and your holding your breath every time. The pace is already on the ball so all you need is a touch. Then mayhem begins.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Have a look at the highlights. , most of Lincolns best moments involve Critchlow being out of position, or not strong enough. He was completely at fault for the second goal . A centre back who fails to get off the ground in that situation is pathetic. Camara looks at him in disbelief. In the first half Houghton had to speak to him about his positioning. Now to be clear I am not saying he is a poor player, what I am saying is that he clearly had not idea where he should be positioned in a back three. He did not receive the ball once from Cooper and our whole system is based on the Centre backs going wide, he had no idea what to do. He defended narrow which caused major problems. It just looked to me like another young defender not used to our system being thrown under the bus. Rather like Watts last year who almost gave up, he found it so difficult and yet he is a really good player. How Critchlow can be some peoples MOM when his failure caused the oppositions winning goal is beyond me.

Totally agree with this. I thought Critchlows passing was slow, predictable and very rarely to a player in a more forward position than himself. He was at fault for the Lincoln winner and rarely tried to actually tackle his opponent rather to stand him up and let him get closer to goal. I wasn’t impressed personally but it is only one game so its only fair to give him more games before casting a better view of him.

Sep 6, 2006
Totally agree with this. I thought Critchlows passing was slow, predictable and very rarely to a player in a more forward position than himself. He was at fault for the Lincoln winner and rarely tried to actually tackle his opponent rather to stand him up and let him get closer to goal. I wasn’t impressed personally but it is only one game so its only fair to give him more games before casting a better view of him.
You do have strange opinions. Would the fact that Critchlow came 2nd in the mom ratings suggest you are wrong? Or the rest of us? He was regularly exposed because of the way our wing backs were playing.THAT was the problem. Not sure if you have played the game but in those situations where you are left 1 on 1 you hold the man up, don't commit with a rash tackle and risk getting beaten.

Jan 23, 2022
As an imps fan I thought Critchlow looked decent, he often got left to handle Whittaker in one on one situations and handled him pretty well. With your wing backs playing wide and high it left your back 3 exposed to our pace out wide so Critchlow and Wilson got exposed much more than they should have. Wilson had a much tougher time up against Scully down our left in the 2nd half and struggled with pace like we know he does from his time with us. Pretty naive from your manager not to tighten up his defence as second half you were getting ripped down the flanks creating so many chances. With all the chances in open play it was strange we managed to score from a corner, we don’t very often!
As for Marquis it appears we have took over the last 6 months of his Pompey contract with them paying a percentage of his wages as he had fallen out with Danny Cowley so wouldn’t play much for them and leave for nothing in the summer. On Saturdays game it looks a good bit of business.
Good luck for the Chelsea game and the rest of the season, Plymouth was a great away day. good club and stadium and really friendly passionate fans.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
You do have strange opinions. Would the fact that Critchlow came 2nd in the mom ratings suggest you are wrong? Or the rest of us? He was regularly exposed because of the way our wing backs were playing.THAT was the problem. Not sure if you have played the game but in those situations where you are left 1 on 1 you hold the man up, don't commit with a rash tackle and risk getting beaten.
I have an opinion, not a strange opinion, stop being so demeaning. I’m not alone in saying I wasn’t impressed with Critchlows first match. I prefer to listen to our manager (Shuey also criticised Critchlow for Lincoln’s winning goal) rather than a handful of people on p@soti clicking a MOM button.

Ok I’ve finally had it with your constant sniping at me… other people manage to have decent communication even tho having differing opinions, so please block me and I’ll do the same ok, or I’ll go first .. not bothered either way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Superguy
Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
As an imps fan I thought Critchlow looked decent, he often got left to handle Whittaker in one on one situations and handled him pretty well. With your wing backs playing wide and high it left your back 3 exposed to our pace out wide so Critchlow and Wilson got exposed much more than they should have. Wilson had a much tougher time up against Scully down our left in the 2nd half and struggled with pace like we know he does from his time with us. Pretty naive from your manager not to tighten up his defence as second half you were getting ripped down the flanks creating so many chances. With all the chances in open play it was strange we managed to score from a corner, we don’t very often!
As for Marquis it appears we have took over the last 6 months of his Pompey contract with them paying a percentage of his wages as he had fallen out with Danny Cowley so wouldn’t play much for them and leave for nothing in the summer. On Saturdays game it looks a good bit of business.
Good luck for the Chelsea game and the rest of the season, Plymouth was a great away day. good club and stadium and really friendly passionate fans.
very sporting post mate,thoroughly enjoyed the match.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
It was incredible how far forward our wing-backs were in this game.
From looking at the highlights for our goal Grant is in the six yard box and for Lincoln's first goal Edwards is our second furthest forward player trying to close down so high up the pitch.

It's a risk and reward style of football and is great when it comes off but looks naive when it goes wrong, especially when winning and no need to be so gung-ho.

Reactions: moles40
Feb 9, 2021
From looking at the highlights for our goal Grant is in the six yard box and for Lincoln's first goal Edwards is our second furthest forward player trying to close down so high up the pitch.

It's a risk and reward style of football and is great when it comes off but looks naive when it goes wrong, especially when winning and no need to be so gung-ho.
I have noticed this over the last few games and I don't know why the staff have decided to tell the wingbacks to press so high up the pitch when we have had so much success in a more compacted approach.
Is it a case of too many coaches confusing things now Lowe has gone?

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog

The thing I noticed (at the time as it happened) for their first goal was not simply that Edwards was so far forward but that Wilson made a surge forward to try to put pressure on a Lincoln player. From memory he pushed quite well into the Lincoln half and off the flank. It was very noticeable, especially as it happened right in front of our position and, of course, it left a huge gap down Lincoln‘s left for them to exploit. The other thing that I noticed at the time was that as soon as Scully had the ball their full/wing back was yelling at him at the top of his voice to run forward and, I think, even to lay the ball into the centre. I think he could see the whol move unfolding in front of him - the space for Scully to run into, Marquis, positioning himself for the cross etc and wanted to make sure that there was no question of doubt entering Scully‘s mind as he bombed forward. I think you can hear some of this yelling on the highlights.