Brief Synopsis!!! (Wycombe)

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
1) Tanner dropped from the starting line-up and Garita in were the only changes from Newport. Akinfenwe but no Hayes for Wycombe. Interesting battle looking to take place between Bradley and Akinfenwe. The kick-off was late due to queuing for tickets.

2) Fairly even start with Wycombe going close and then Argyle beginning to dominate. Carey showed why he won't be a Championship player. Soft give away in midfield exposed his centre backs and McCormick stood no chance as the Wycombe forward went 1v1 and beat him easily.

3) Almost immediately Connor Smith hit the bar with a fierce drive whilst the Wycombe 16 clearly dived when pressured by Slew. Slew caused problems down the right and exposed the full-back for pace a couple of times before driving in on goal. The goalie let it roll under his body and the huge cheer from the Demport was enough to persuade the ref to give the goal.

4) Wycombe began to pressurise but Argyle looked dangerous on the break with Jervis and Garita looking to interchange. Garita went close and Jervis forced a shot wide before Garita set up Jervis to score Argyle's second. Carey had a couple of chances and Smith also had a second attempt.

5) Wycombe closed the half on top forcing a couple of corners which we always looked like conceding from. Akinfenwe probably had the better of the first-half duel with Bradley, and Miller and Smith made a couple of wrong decisions when under pressure but the rest of the team had reasonable first 45s.

6) The second half started with both teams trying to put moves together but neither able to string a set of decent passes together. A dangerous free-kick for Wycombe was put over before Argyle scrambled a third through Songo'o. Moments later Akinfenwe seemed to push an Argyle defender out of the way before finishing strongly to pull one back.

7) The game opened up and both sides took the ball end to end. Wycombe won a series of corners whilst Argyle missed a sitter at the other end. Wycombe pressed and it looked like a matter of time before the Argyle defence conceded again. Slew and Bradley immense in defence.

8 ) The inevitable came with the Argyle defence undone yet again by a push on Songo'o and the ball fell nicely for what was a good finish. Adams should/could have used his subs as there was a tiredness about our team and without Carey on the ball we lacked invention.

9) I've seen Luke have better games, his kicking is somehow getting worse. Threlkeld and Garita had good games.  Carey was anonymous, policed well by Wycombe. Slew my man of the match but Bradley ran him close.

Luke McCormick - 6
Gary Miller - 6
Yann Songo'o - 6
Sonny Bradley - 7
Oscar Threlkeld - 7
Connor Smith - 6
David Fox - 6
Graham Carey - 4
Jake Jervis - 7
Jordan Slew - 8
Paul-Arnold Garita - 7

Vincent Dorel - unused
Karleigh Osborne - unused
Nauris Bulvitis - unused
Ben Purrington - unused
Louis Rooney - unused
Craig Tanner - unused
David Goodwillie - unused

Aug 4, 2011
Anti football prevailed again unfortunately.

As for the ticketing / POTG situation. Absolute farce. Argyle a shambles off the pitch and this can't be blamed on ticket master or Liverpool

Feb 2, 2007
Strange about Luke's kicking, I remember when it was a real strength of his game.

Don't understand not using the subs but I suppose we were still creating chances. Wycombe used all 3 and one of them got the equaliser.

Garita needs to start scoring- did he hit woodwork twice, general all round play good though.

Desperately need Bully or Osborne to step up and Songo'o back in midfield instead of Smith. We haven't looked tight enough since. Osborne must be on an expensive contract so we need value for money asap.

Shame ref wasn't stronger on the pushes, will have to see highlights to make mind up but they seemed blatant enough.

Hope all 12,000 are back for Crawley- another very important game!

Apr 20, 2011
Tetbury
Bradley and Threlkeld superb today, Carey well marshalled.

Very good entertainment overall, but I can't help but feel that this was two points dropped.

Akinfenwa a real pest all game.

Sep 6, 2006
nick_PASTIE":2p0l2v3v said:
Strange about Luke's kicking, I remember when it was a real strength of his game.

Don't understand not using the subs but I suppose we were still creating chances. Wycombe used all 3 and one of them got the equaliser.

Garita needs to start scoring- did he hit woodwork twice, general all round play good though.

Desperately need Bully or Osborne to step up and Songo'o back in midfield instead of Smith. We haven't looked tight enough since. Osborne must be on an expensive contract so we need value for money asap.

Shame ref wasn't stronger on the pushes, will have to see highlights to make mind up but they seemed blatant enough.

'We haven't looked tight enough since'. ! APART from the 4 clean sheets before today you mean??

Dec 2, 2005
London
Much better game that I was expecting but that doesn't take away the disappointment of letting a 2 goal lead slip.

We had the better of the first half. Kept them quiet in open play but a poor pass from Carey gifted them a first and they always looked dangerous from set pieces.

Carey was the quietest of our front 4 with Jervis, Slew and Gartia all having strong first half's. Their interplay key to putting us into the lead.

Both sides started the second half well with strong battles taking place all over the field. After somehow bundling the ball in from a corner we had a funny five minutes which culminated in the inevitable Akinfenwa goal against us; a good finish from a deep cross.

Garita missed a sitter on the break but Wycombe were ending the game well and we were hanging on. Their equaliser wasn't a surprise; another tidy strike from just outside the area.

Biggest criticism was too many tired players left on the pitch with no subs used. Expect a few changes to the starting line up for Crawley.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Akinfenwa was excellent to be honest. Thought that Bradley & Songo'o would keep him out but he was more or less unplayable.

Bernie Bernbaum

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Pasoti Quiz Champions
Jade Berrow 23/24
May 29, 2015
football-bet-data":1iwdak3w said:
Anti football prevailed again unfortunately.

As for the ticketing / POTG situation. Absolute farce. Argyle a shambles off the pitch and this can't be blamed on ticket master or Liverpool

Disagree. Once Wycombe went behind they showed they can be a decent footballing side.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
very enjoyable match with not too many dark arts football from ainsworthless for a change.putting garita in was a very sound move and he was a real handful for their defence and won't get bullied out of a match.soft first goal conceded via a sloppy pass from graham who was well marshalled by wycombe.i think overall the draw was the right result.my star ratings;

Luke McCormick - 6
Gary Miller - 7
Yann Songo'o - 8
Sonny Bradley - 8
Oscar Threlkeld - 8
Connor Smith - 7
David Fox - 7
Graham Carey - 6
Jake Jervis - 9
Jordan Slew - 6
Paul-Arnold Garita - 8

Mar 18, 2006
Fair result today.
They never got to time waste as they were losing for most of the game .
No compliants, but will always despise Ainsworth and his anti football time wasting tactics .

Apr 1, 2009
Balham_Green":2x22lsb9 said:
nick_PASTIE":2x22lsb9 said:

'We haven't looked tight enough since'. ! APART from the 4 clean sheets before today you mean??

Exactly. And yet another call for Osborne to replace someone doing a consistent job.

Feb 2, 2007
Akinfenwa is superb- he loves playing against Argyle.

Ref. My we have t looked tight since I was including Grimsby 0-3, Barnet 0-2, Morecombe 1-2. The 0-0 at home to Newport was poor and we still didn't look defensively tight, we were pretty lucky against Doncaster and Accrington and the Newport replay they had plenty of space and time in the final 1/3 but were very wasteful.

From what I have seen Songo'o is a better centre defensive mid and Bully looks better alongside Sonny.

See Crawley conceded 3 today so NYE could be another goal fest if we don't change our defenders,

Feb 2, 2007
xmastree":260ykp8u said:
Balham_Green":260ykp8u said:
nick_PASTIE":260ykp8u said:

Exactly. And yet another call for Osborne to replace someone doing a consistent job.

I am more concerned with the make up of midfield than defence as Smith is consistent, you are correct, but if you are happy with 5 or 6/10 consistency then I don't think we have the same aims. He may be a Steve Adams type figure but I think mid looks better with Songo'o in it, Carey and Fox or Donaldson (when fit).