Brief Synopsis | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Can whoever does it just summarise up until the sending off please.. 😉

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
It's still early days and a small sample size of 4 league games but a pattern is emerging.
We either win and play very well (at home) or we lose (away, heavily or in the dying minutes) and play really badly, there's nothing in-between like a regulation 2-1 win or defeat.

Oct 28, 2011
Norwich
Same side as Saturday bar Whittaker for Mayor. Surprising as Mayor was superb Saturday. Perhaps wanted to use his pace on a very wide pitch.

Started the game off fairly positive with Hardie getting behind very early on. Azaz then blazed well over from a narrow angle.

Unfortunately that’s as good as it got. After this we continuously gave the ball away. We rushed passes whilst being pressed, but also uncharacteristically with no pressure on us at all. Very odd seeing Charlton’s pitch is one of the widest in the league, so wasn’t like we didn’t have the space to play it into.

Rak-Sakyi absolutely tore Macaulay apart time and time again. So was inevitable when he finally got behind him for the rebound to open the scoring. It was a case of Déjà vu for the 2nd. Gillesphey with a shocker of a pass back into Cooper, who in turn tried playing an awkward ball back instead of launching it clear. Wilson then hand balled after being left exposed at the front post. Clear pen. The red you could argue for both sides. But can see why the ref sent him off.

From then on it was effectively game over. Randell then uncharacteristically gave the ball away again and their fullback scored an absolute Thunderbastard. Nothing more than they deserved and it was 3-0 at the break.

some odd changes at the interval. But to be fair the game was over so didn’t really make much difference. We huffed and puffed but didn’t look like scoring in truth. Jephcott missed a sitter after being found at the back post by the lively Ennis. Whittaker did score a fantastic solo goal. But to be honest he gave the ball away lots tonight and often doesn’t look up to seek out a pass. Charlton then scored 2 more as we looked more and more stretched with the 10 men.

Charlton aren’t a bad side. But I do wonder how it would have panned out if we didn’t gift them the first 3 goals. Architects of our own downfall tonight sadly.

Important period for Schuey now. We can’t be sensational at home and horrific away. Need to find that balance. Shape wise we’re missing Keith Downing. Especially away. Out of possession we’re so exposed and out of position.

Man of the match the Argyle fans for travelling all that way knowing full well we always get nothing at the valley!

Last edited:

twist of lime

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Feb 22, 2008
Herts
Fully agree with the above

Just to add well done to the Green Army who travelled, kept supporting in the 2nd half even though there was plenty of gallows humour but did not turn on the team despite the score line

Respect

PS I hate going to the valley….

COYG

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
It’s nothing we haven’t already seen. And by a number of these players.

People think your being negative if you talk about budgets but look at our league and see how many other teams play 3ATB or a 4ATB formstion where they play from the back. Then look at who they got in those key defensive position, how much they cost and how much they are on.

We all know it’s was stupid to play the passes they did tonight. Yet they keep on doing it. Not because they do it on purpose. They just aren’t good enough to execute the game plan without making key mistakes. Not every game they will get punished like Butcher’s mistake against Barnsley second half, but they keep on giving away these opportunities.

And the problem is when your not a free scoring side, but your playing an attack minded formation that leaves you exposed unfortunately your results will be inconsistent.

We have good players. Who can play well on their day. Unfortunately, they are just inconsistent and make horrific mistakes. Coaching can help. Yet let’s be honest tonight we saw goals we been seeing for years.

Whats the answer? Better players. Unfortunately, we need to be patient for this.

I thought there were signs in that first half where we took the game to them. Showed some good front foot mentality. Unfortunately, we let them off the hook with bad decisions. Not just at the back. But also going forward.

We just not a side that plays badly and can get a result. And that is what the good teams do. I still enjoying our new style. It has much potential. I just think overall to execute the game plan consistently we will need better defenders.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
It’s nothing we haven’t already seen. And by a number of these players.

People think your being negative if you talk about budgets but look at our league and see how many other teams play 3ATB or a 4ATB formstion where they play from the back. Then look at who they got in those key defensive position, how much they cost and how much they are on.

We all know it’s was stupid to play the passes they did tonight. Yet they keep on doing it. Not because they do it on purpose. They just aren’t good enough to execute the game plan without making key mistakes. Not every game they will get punished like Butcher’s mistake against Barnsley second half, but they keep on giving away these opportunities.

And the problem is when your not a free scoring side, but your playing an attack minded formation that leaves you exposed unfortunately your results will be inconsistent.

We have good players. Who can play well on their day. Unfortunately, they are just inconsistent and make horrific mistakes. Coaching can help. Yet let’s be honest tonight we saw goals we been seeing for years.

Whats the answer? Better players. Unfortunately, we need to be patient for this.

I thought there were signs in that first half where we took the game to them. Showed some good front foot mentality. Unfortunately, we let them off the hook with bad decisions. Not just at the back. But also going forward.

We just not a side that plays badly and can get a result. And that is what the good teams do. I still enjoying our new style. It has much potential. I just think overall to execute the game plan consistently we will need better defenders.
As someone eloquently put it well the other day, we are a L1 side trying to play like a Premier a league team.

Reactions: 999mattyg

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
As someone eloquently put it well the other day, we are a L1 side trying to play like a Premier a league team.

Ive seen signs this season we are playing better football.

Thats a good step. Something we can build on.

Takes time. People just don’t want to hear that though.

Reactions: JannerinCardiff
Sep 3, 2009
MGM is correct in many ways. What I would say is that we have the players who can potentially be those that succeed but they need to be allowed to play and fail - e.g. Randell. Happily, I think SS realises this.

Never a 5-1 this evening. Of course, it was - but the ref killed the game by sending off Wilson. Would be interested in the black and white ruling but the penalty felt punishment enough. At 2-0 down, even though Charlton were in the ascendancy, it would have been a game if 11 v 11.

Surprised to see so few fans at the Valley. Club dying on its arse?

Despite the reverse, we feel the opposite.

You Greens.

Lancastergreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Jan 12, 2017
Plymouth
It's a fair point about needing better defenders but at the moment the money that could be used on that is going on other things that will benefit Argyle down the line.
I think if people are realistic they will know this is a season of mediocrity and maybe top 12 is the best we should hope for.
Can you imagine what teams would do to us if this team played a league higher?
Until SH gives out more money to buy the required players we will have to settle for league one football for the foreseeable.
It is a shame after last season but its the way it is and with this new formation and seemingly a keeper not allowed to kick the ball beyond a defender, we will be great one week and a whipping team the next.

Reactions: Chip green