Brief Synopsis sponsored by Bromleigh House | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Brief Synopsis sponsored by Bromleigh House

Sep 6, 2006
3 at the back needs an energetic attacking game, which takes the pressure off the defence and maximises attacking options in midfield and up front, in a 3-5-2

If the team plays a low energy, insipid game it doesn't work. The result is a lot more pressure on your 3 defenders.

So, we need people like Broom, Houghton, Camera to play well. When they don't we're in trouble.

Opposition managers have stifled Houghton and Camera. Which means we need to react tactically.

This doesn't mean we, as a Club must now roll back into our hole of 'same old Argyle' and settle for mid table obscurity.

It needs a quick tactical re-think and adoption of a plan B when needed.

A tall centre forward, a good left back and an assertive midfielder will help a lot, if they're available in January.
So we are not good enough to be top. We need 3 new players!

Apr 1, 2009
Spot om JYK.

Wow UTL, give this anti Broom comments a rest. its starting to come over as very childish.

You obviously prefer Mayor to Broom and without doubt Mayor is our most talented player but, boy, is he frustrating to watch. He offers so much when he gets the ball but then, nothing. For player of his talent he should have scored and offered more assists than he has. People commented he was the only player driving us forward yesterday and was surprised to see his subbed. Well, we had the one shot on target so I guess nothing happened much when he got to the box.

As for your snide comments re Broom and 'lack' of goals, He has been here for 17 games, Mayor has been here for 3 seasons. Again, not alot of payback from Mayor. And as for Broom's fortunate goal with the aid of a puddle, at least he bust a gut to get into the box and finish. I suspect Mayor would have been on the half way line looking on. And Broom has shown with his goal at Accrington that given the chance he will let fly and have a shot, something we all wish our forwards would do more often.

As has been pointed out, the stats show (anything you want) that with Broom starting we have been more successful and I personally think he also offers more physicality in midfield. Four games ago people were clamouring to get Broom signed up, but after a few defeats he's suddenly the source of your scorn.

You prefer Mayor, and what I have seen I prefer Broom, but want both in the squad. Lets just have differing opinions without the snide remarks as both players I am sure try their best when they pull on the green jersey.
A long post, albeit with some decent points, wrecked in terms of credibility by the "I suspect Mayor would have been on half way line looking on". Why invent your own scenario when facts dictate otherwise? You're not the first to do this, but I never understand why.

As I'm sure you recall, Mayor WAS on the halfway line when he took possession and was on the edge of the area when he lost control to the saturated pitch, Hardie had a go, then Broom finished it. Yes Mayor was standing watching, but from a yard inside the penalty area.

As I've said elsewhere I get the Mayor/Broom debate and agree with you that I want both in the squad. What I don't get is the hostility put into the debate by some, or in your case the desire to re-write history to enhance your point.

Swaz

♣️ PASALB Member
Jan 25, 2011
bishops stortford
What about learning a bit from the last 3 games so that when we play them again and others with a similar tactical lineup. By that I mean instead of playing a 3 5 2 formation for every match what about changing to a 4 4 2 when it's needed giving us more stability in defence. Could have given us say 3 points in drawing the last 3 matches and still in the top 2

Reactions: HerthaBSC
Feb 8, 2005
What about learning a bit from the last 3 games so that when we play them again and others with a similar tactical lineup. By that I mean instead of playing a 3 5 2 formation for every match what about changing to a 4 4 2 when it's needed giving us more stability in defence. Could have given us say 3 points in drawing the last 3 matches and still in the top 2
3-5-2 is the chosen line-up throughout the Club, it ain't gonna change, get used to it.

Apr 5, 2008
Still in a great position ,thankfully we got the fa cup next ,so the lads can regroup,and go again.

Lowe will be saying that to the group,look where they are in the table,and a great position going forward (y)

Jul 28, 2020
3-5-2 is the chosen line-up throughout the Club, it ain't gonna change, get used to it.
They’re already waiting for us at Adams park, to turn up with our 3-5-2 system and try to play tippy- tippy football against them.

Whilst I understand the need for all teams to have a system, it’s also important to make changes either in advance of games or during the course of matches .

As the famous football manager 😉 Sun Tzu once said, ‘deception is key in all warfare ‘.

Where’s the element of surprise in playing a 3-5-2 every game ? We’re effectively helping our opponents by giving them- predictability.

It was clear 3-5-2 wasn’t working against Wigan- so why didn’t Lowe change it round ??

Reactions: HerthaBSC and Swaz

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
As I've said before I played (17 floors below below sub basement level!) and played 'out' and in goal.
Goalie was much harder and much more stressful.
For their first goal a Wigan player steamed past three static players before avoiding a couple of non tackles and giving the ball to another player who wasn't tackled. Cooper saw all that and came to cut out the ball and couldn't but the goal was, therefore, his fault!? :unsure:
I think not.

Reactions: saxman
Apr 28, 2019
They’re already waiting for us at Adams park, to turn up with our 3-5-2 system and try to play tippy- tippy football against them.

Whilst I understand the need for all teams to have a system, it’s also important to make changes either in advance of games or during the course of matches .

As the famous football manager 😉 Sun Tzu once said, ‘deception is key in all warfare ‘.

Where’s the element of surprise in playing a 3-5-2 every game ? We’re effectively helping our opponents by giving them- predictability.

It was clear 3-5-2 wasn’t working against Wigan- so why didn’t Lowe change it round ??
Yes, and what's the betting they attack us down our left flank and stick a player on Houghton and on Camera

Reactions: Swaz
Feb 8, 2005

That's the joy of football. Every football manager has to find a certain way of playing and it has to be simple enough for their footballers to understand what is required of them.

Every football club will have knowledge of how the opposition will play. It is up to the manager of each club to find a way of negating the opposition whilst still allowing their own team to play their way.

Lowe has elected to play 3-5-2 throughout the Club in order that all younger players will be able to play together when selected for any team match, and will be able to slot in if/when selected to join the first team.

I cannot see him changing to a back four. He tried that last year, unsuccessfully.

The squad will have been trained from day one into playing 3-5-2. It will have been repeatedly ground into them on the training pitch. What is the point of trying to get them to change to a different system?

There is more to playing football than just being told to stop playing 3-5-2 and start playing 4-4-2 instead. Do you really think that will be productive, I think not.

Lowe's challenge is to adapt his tactics (within his 3-5-2 formation), according to his view of the opposition strengths and weaknesses, and it will be up to the opposition manager to do likewise with their formation on the pitch.

Therein lies the challenge for every football manager in the league, manager against manager, players against players, and that is the beauty of the game.

Jul 28, 2020
I get what you say- and you’ve argued it very well.

But we’ve seen over the last few matches how effectively we’ll organised teams can negate Argyle by closing us down. Your not always going to be able to play the way you want to- because other teams are going to specifically set out to stop you. So how are we going to combat that ? You have to be able to change it round, and play a different way, if necessary, to get the 3 points., IMO.

The game has moved on a lot since 1972, but a good role- model would be that great Leeds United team. They could certainly outplay and outpass you, but if need be they could also mix it up and outbattle you. We don’t yet have that about us.

I guess we’ll see what Ryan Lowe does in the transfer window, but for my money, a big mobile midfielder and a big mobile centre forward , would give him the option to change things around and play a different way, if needed ....

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Spot om JYK.

Wow UTL, give this anti Broom comments a rest. its starting to come over as very childish.

You obviously prefer Mayor to Broom and without doubt Mayor is our most talented player but, boy, is he frustrating to watch. He offers so much when he gets the ball but then, nothing. For player of his talent he should have scored and offered more assists than he has. People commented he was the only player driving us forward yesterday and was surprised to see his subbed. Well, we had the one shot on target so I guess nothing happened much when he got to the box.

As for your snide comments re Broom and 'lack' of goals, He has been here for 17 games, Mayor has been here for 3 seasons. Again, not alot of payback from Mayor. And as for Broom's fortunate goal with the aid of a puddle, at least he bust a gut to get into the box and finish. I suspect Mayor would have been on the half way line looking on. And Broom has shown with his goal at Accrington that given the chance he will let fly and have a shot, something we all wish our forwards would do more often.

As has been pointed out, the stats show (anything you want) that with Broom starting we have been more successful and I personally think he also offers more physicality in midfield. Four games ago people were clamouring to get Broom signed up, but after a few defeats he's suddenly the source of your scorn.

You prefer Mayor, and what I have seen I prefer Broom, but want both in the squad. Lets just have differing opinions without the snide remarks as both players I am sure try their best when they pull on the green jersey.

I suggest you look at the goal again from the time DM intercepted to ball until it got stuck in the Dead Sea that was the Demport End goal.

vibratingspider

Joined 1996
Jam First
Oct 1, 2006
I keep coming back to the highlights from Saturday and, whilst I remember him making several great saves during the game, I thought Cooper could have done a lot better for both goals. It was hard to know what he was doing with the first goal, he seemed to come out but failed to claim the ball convincingly, which was pretty horrific. The second felt like he didn't even try to parry the ball away. If you look, he kind of dives without putting his arms out. It's all a bit awkward but, in fairness to him, perhaps the angle wasn't very kind. As we all know, a keeper's errors are always punished and scrutinised.

That said, we seem to be conceding a lot of very similar goals lately, and I can't help but think that opposition teams are doing their homework on Coops and are exploiting his weaknesses. With Galloway out for a fair time now, we've got to do better and it's down to our coaches to try to close some of these holes in Cooper's arsenal. He's a great keeper, there's no doubt about that, but he's definitely got some very obvious weaknesses.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
It's a pity Matchday Moments never show the opposition goals from the camera inside the net.
Cooper has been beaten across his right by angled shots from the same position in the Charlton, Wycombe and Wigan games.

Our left defensive corridor is also a worry, the gap between Gillesphey and Grant is constantly being exploited.

And who picks up Hardie's discarded drink cans? Litterbug! 😀

vibratingspider

Joined 1996
Jam First
Oct 1, 2006
It's a pity Matchday Moments never show the opposition goals from the camera inside the net.
Cooper has been beaten across his right by angled shots from the same position in the Charlton, Wycombe and Wigan games.
I must admit, that was my suspicion too. Surely Behcet is analysing this stuff, and trying to work with Coops on sorting this weakness out. If we can all see it, surely our goalkeeping coach can as well?