🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Say, we are ...

Argyle 2 - 1 Burton
Grant 15. Adkins 59.
Broom 43.

Attn: 11,915.

A game of two halves.
The first was probably the most attacking and entertaining seen at Home Park under the Lowe era.
Chance after chance was created, the players oozed confidence and it was just a matter of how many goals we would score.

The second half was completely different, Burton raised their game, scored and could have had at least another goal and towards the end we were hanging on.

Still, it doesn't matter, the 90 minutes is all about the result.

Edwards was surprisingly dropped to the bench with Garrick taking his place at wing-back and it proved a master stroke.
Garrick looked completely at ease in that role and was our main attacking threat during the first half.

Agard also started and did well enough although he missed two good chances.

With another 10,000+ crowd not seen since our days in the Championship the Plymouth public seem to realise that something is stirring at Home Park.

The first half was one way traffic, the passing and movement of the players was fantastic.
Garrick gave the team pace on the right and his direct running, either down the wing or cutting inside, was causing Burton all sorts of problems.

The chances started to flow - Hardie hit the crossbar with a looping shot, Camara sliced wide, Broom did likewise, Scarr headed over from a corner and Agard missed the target with a shot when he really should have done better.

The deserved goal finally came when Grant drove inside and fed Garrick on the right, his cross was cleared back to Grant who rifled home from 20 yards.

Burton did enjoy a period of pressure by winning a couple of free-kicks around our area but nothing came of it.

From one Burton attack we went 2-0 up! Cooper collected a cross and immediately threw a long ball upfield for Hardie to chase, he got to the byline and laid it off to the advancing Broom who swept home from close range. 2-0.
Copper assisting the assister!

Half time and all looking good.

Except we were not so good in the second half, although it's probably difficult to maintain that type of fast heavy metal football for 90 minutes.
Burton also raised their game, their manager Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink clearly wasn't happy on the touchline during the first half. Credit to JFH for changing tactics and formation to get his team back in the game.

We did have chances but not as frequent as earlier in the game.

Burton grabbed a lifeline with a low shot from Adkins that nestled in the side netting. It was a soft goal to concede given the amount of opportunities we had to stop the attack or put in a tackle.

Suddenly we were jittery, mistakes were made and passes went astray.

Garrick pulled up with what looked like cramp and Edwards replaced him and took the skippers armband from Wilson.

Soon after Danny Mayor returned to the team when a surprised Camara was subbed, Broom moved across to the right.

We lost some of our directness following this, Mayor likes to jink and twist while he tries to beat a player and I'm not sure if that style now suits the pace we have in the team. It's all about being fast now.

Agard had a free header that ended up as a throw-in.
Burton had a late chance that ended up in the side netting but thankfully the outside.

A fantastic win, the first half was great football while the second half was a battle.

Like some games this season it looks like we are going to run away with an easy win but we get pegged back.
I'd back the team to out play the opposition and also out battle the opposition, today the team did both - pretty followed by ugly.

The combination of Grant and Broom on the left caused Burton all sorts of problems, the passing and moving into space was superb.

Garrick offers more attacking threat than Edwards, although he wasn't really tested in defence today.

Wilson was composed and strong, the best of the defenders today.

Houghton goes unnoticed but is the link throughout the team.

Camara had a quiet game, his strong running didn't feature much today.

Agard did well to last so long, you get the feeling he just needs a goal to be up and running.

Man of the Match - Garrick.

Cooper 7, Wilson 8, Scarr 7, Gillesphey 7, Houghton 7, Garrick 8, Camara 6, Broom 7, Grant 7, Hardie 7, Argard 6. Subs - Edwards 6, Mayor 6, Randell n/a.

Screenshot_20211009-171357_BBC Sport.jpg

Last edited:

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
An excellent first half, a tough second in which Burton raised their game.

The result is all that matters though!

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Echo your views Posty.

They bought on Chapman second half and he was far more effective on the ball for them.

They played higher up second half and really pinned our WB’s which was our main outlet first half.

There goal was soft and we had many chances to cut them out but stood off too much.

Our defence is good but did look a little vulnerable second half.

First half shout outs to Hardie (MoTM), Broom, Camara and Grant.

9/10 first half

5/10 Second half

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
two brilliant halves of football by us,the first a scintillating attacking show and a stoic rearguard battle against a tough,determined side in the second half.well done to all players.my ratings;Cooper 9, Wilson 10, Scarr 10, Gillesphey 9, Houghton 10, Garrick 10, Camara 6, Broom 9, Grant 9, Hardie 10, Argard 9. my man of the match was wilson

Apr 4, 2015
Definitely a game of 2 halves, Argyle dominated the first and to a degree Burton the second. It was a nice surprise to see us come out of the traps on fire and took a deserved lead early on and finished the half with a thoroughly deserved second goal, game over or so most of us thought. We looked nervous in the second half and barely got out of our own half especially once Burton got a goal back. I think the thought of being top of the league got to the team a little bit and they wanted to hang on to what they had which in turn made us apprehensive. We got better as the second half wore on but as ever with Argyle we were hanging on at the end.

Broom and Grant stood out for me and it was nice to see Mayor come on for the last 10/15 mins.

We are now the team that everyone else will be aware of and trying to shoot us down so it will be interesting to see how we react, lets hope we keep up the good form and dont get too nervous.

Well played boys, COYG.

Mar 14, 2009
What a strange game football is.

First half, with the freedom of space Burton allowed us to play, we played some delightful football. should have scored more goals. Yet the 2nd before half time was crucial.

Hardie and Broom stood out. Grant took his goal well. Really there was more goals in this game for Argyke.

Then Hasselbaink changed his formation. He made his team press more as a unit and closed down the spaces. Argyle carried on in the same manner.

Atkins took his goal very well. Then the game momentum really swung in Burtons favour. We started to lose any control of the game. We became frantic and similar to Portsmouth and Lincoln. Burton had a glorious chance a few minutes from the end. The player did all the hard work then slid it wrong side of the post.

Don’t get me wrong. Based on the chances in this game Argyle deserved to win. I’m finding though that our game management in the second half needs improving if we want to maintain a high position in this league.

There is one issue which l feel we also need to rectify. A target man / physical player who’s good in the air. Hardie will run the channels for us all day long. However, we need someone who is an alternative to what we have. When we play it long we have nobody strong enough to battle for that ball in the air. Today also we had countless crosses. There simply isn’t a presence in the opposition penalty box for all those crosses.

Onwards and upwards. I’m not convinced we will be top 6 at the end of the season though unless we get smarter in the later stages of games. That’s players and manager with tactics. Also if we don’t bring in a target man into this team then opposition teams will allow us to cross it all day knowing we don’t have much chance of hurting them. Look how Scarr has changed us physically at the back. Now we need that option up front.

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
Well certainly a game of 2 halves

We were certainly purring in the 1st half & Burton had no idea how to stop the Argyle juggernaut & at 2 nil we were certainly comfortable

2nd half- Burtons tinkering paid dividends & when they scored they sensed they could probably get something out of the game

But our boys have no fear- their heads did not drop, their mentality to stick to the game plan & to carry on playing their football is testament to what this team is all about

I am so proud of what we have become so far this season- we are not little old Argyle- it is about time the so called big boys of this league pay attention to what is happening in deepest darkest Devon

We are a team to be feared- not a charitable tummy tickling soft touch who will be a soft touch in defeat

Unbeaten in 11 that shows the character this team as

We cant win pretty every week but boy we have a team of winners that are certainly doing the green army proud :D(y)💚

I would have subbed Camara earlier. Just not his normal self today. Wilson’s forays were impressive. Agree Houghton the linch-pin. MOM for me was Broome. What an engine! On another day (and certainly last season) Burton might have nicked a draw. How could so many leave before the whistle, during squeaky bum time?

May 17, 2012
First half , sublime. purring performance. As per, we did not react well to their change of approach, mayor was not the right sub at that time , slowed the game down and looked neither fit not confident. Would have been nice to see him at 3-0 😀. Great battling though 2nd half , and such a feel good factor in the ground

Feb 13, 2021
I have not seen Argyle have a much pace as they did in the first half. Their passing was fast and direct with very few going astray. Grant's goal was a classic and the moment the ball departed from his left boot there was only one place for it, the back of the net. Broom has brought another dimension to this team. What did Lowee put in their tea at half time? Top of the league and shouldn't complain.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Good assessment from Postey. For me the job Houghton does goes unnoticed compared to the more free running roles of Broome and Camara. Good to see a couple of goals from our midfield today and good to see Agard last the 90 minutes so well. Have the coaching team spent time with Cooper this week working on his distribution? It seemed like a new tactic, similar to breaking quickly from a corner aa more teams seem to be working on.

Last edited:
Reactions: abandonedhope
Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Talk all you want about in game management and bad team talks. It is simply a case of fatigue. A number of players looked dead on their feet after 70 minutes. It is remarkable that we are where we are despite the injuries to key players and the paper thin depth as a result. Credit to everyone involved.

I thought we made Burton look very mediocre and were full value for the win. They had two chances in the entire game. Once again our midfield was the difference. Broom was fantastic and Houghton is so impressive under pressure, uses the ball incredibly well. I thought Garrick had his best game for us so far.

I also think it’s gone really under the radar how well we’ve improved the physical profile of this squad. More power, more pace, more physicality. It gives us so much more edge to our game.

Mayor not even close to match fit, but linked well with Grant on the left hand side. Looked dead on his feet after a couple of minutes. Don’t think he’ll be starting any time soon, save for the odd Pizza Cup game.

Cooper - 8
Garrick - 7
Wilson - 8
Scarr - 7
Gillesphey - 7
Houghton - 9
Broom - 9
Camara - 7
Hardie - 7
Agard - 7

Reactions: Chip green

IPA

Aug 26, 2012
The 'real' capital of Devon
If we're serious about promotion we need to learn to be a team of 2 halves.

Far too often our performance is not great in 1 half or the other.

Today we got away with it but against better sides we would almost certainly have dropped points again.

Amazing first half performance though.

Reactions: Metal Green Mickey