Brief Synopsis sponsored by Bromleigh House | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Brief Synopsis sponsored by Bromleigh House

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
Likely a good bit of research by Crewe that Cooper sometimes leaves the near post open in such situations. That's something Mike can work on. Fair play to the Alex.

I'd expect Broom, Camara (and Edwards) to get goals eventually; because they seem to bust a gut to get in danger areas and on the end of things. Not really Mayor's game, or some others'. Not the only criterion for being a decent attacking mid is it.
Seriously it was a fluke. I was a few feet away from the guy and the subsequent celebrations...the general vibe was 'you jammy bugger'. You'd have to be Messi standard to deliberately score from that angle.

Sep 22, 2020
he was positioning himself for the anticipated cross and got caught out. one to put down to experience and i am sure he will not let it happen again.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
99 times out of 100 that ball is crossed into the six yard box and the goalkeeper is expected to be in position to collect it or to save any resulting shot or header if an opposition player gets to the ball. If he is positioning himself for the 1/100 fluke (or perhaps even not fluke) ball that rockets towards his near post then surely a goalkeeper is making the wrong decision and THEN the criticism would be valid. I would bet that after that goal everyone in the ground was thinking 'Just what actually happened there', 'How did that go in' etc. I'd much rather Cooper let that one in than was incorrectly positioned for the 99/100 normal crosses.

I agree that in some situations a goalkeeper must be ready for a shot at his near post (e.g. a one-on-one with a player advancing from a wide position) as in those situations such a shot is not that uncommon but I don't think Tuesday night was one of those occasions.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
You can’t let the fact that some of you have recently been touting Cooper as a PL keeper in waiting cloud your judgement. Deliberate shot or not, that was an absolute howler from Cooper and he should have been in the correct position to comfortably save it. It’s not like the Wigan player was in an impossibly difficult location to attempt a shot.

Jun 18, 2005
born St. Columb, Cornwall
You can’t let the fact that some of you have recently been touting Cooper as a PL keeper in waiting cloud your judgement. Deliberate shot or not, that was an absolute howler from Cooper and he should have been in the correct position to comfortably save it. It’s not like the Wigan player was in an impossibly difficult location to attempt a shot.
I think the whole Wigan team were in an impossibly difficult location to attempt that shot.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010

Your other team played Wigan. 😄

• Haha
Reactions: Devongreenowl
How could he have been in position for both the cross and the near post?

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Mistake? yes

Howler? Get real

Reactions: saxman

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Of course, he will be disappointed with how that goal went in and he can’t be blameless but it was also disappointing that no defender had positioned himself to block it.

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
99 times out of 100 that ball is crossed into the six yard box and the goalkeeper is expected to be in position to collect it or to save any resulting shot or header if an opposition player gets to the ball. If he is positioning himself for the 1/100 fluke (or perhaps even not fluke) ball that rockets towards his near post then surely a goalkeeper is making the wrong decision and THEN the criticism would be valid. I would bet that after that goal everyone in the ground was thinking 'Just what actually happened there', 'How did that go in' etc. I'd much rather Cooper let that one in than was incorrectly positioned for the 99/100 normal crosses.

I agree that in some situations a goalkeeper must be ready for a shot at his near post (e.g. a one-on-one with a player advancing from a wide position) as in those situations such a shot is not that uncommon but I don't think Tuesday night was one of those occasions.
I think you have captured my thoughts exactly...surely a goalie positions themselves for the most likely scenario.