Brief Synopsis sponsored by Bromleigh House | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Brief Synopsis sponsored by Bromleigh House

Jul 3, 2021
Anyone who was at pompey on tuesday will know what an intense match it was so not too surprised we looked a bit flat today.
Expecting normal service to be resumed tuesday night..

Reactions: Pezbuck

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
There needs to be a ‘Plan B‘ when things don‘t go well. Today Doncaster pressed Argyle’s defenders and stopped them playing the ball out. This is a tactic which teams are using to disrupt Argyle. I would think the solution is to have the option of playing long balls- thats why a big target man could be handy.

Camara and Broom play with such intensity that they will inevitably get tired, especially if they play two games in a week. They may need to be rested every so often.

The bench looked a bit weak. Mayor and George Cooper would have been good options to have.

its interesting to me that given the recent good form of Broom and Pan that I think people may be forgetting how good a player Danny Mayor is. And also how many assists George Cooper racks up with his instinctive first time crossing.

With these 2 coming back I genuinely believe we’ve some of the best midfielders in League 1 this season and all 4 of them offer something different which will be useful to have in your arsenal over a long season.

Not sure about that. Mayors ability to slip a tackle could have been just what we needed. Cooper looked nervous and, frankly, all over the place with his distribution. Other sides will surely take note and press us hard at the back from now on.
Although I didn’t agree with subbing Hardie and leaving Jephcott on Garrick showed us a couple of glimpses of frightening pace which bodes well.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
An even game that could have gone either way.
It could be said that we were lucky with two penalties that won us the game or it could be said that we are resolute and kept fighting to get the win.

We weren't at our best but still managed to get the 3 points.

We were helped by Doncaster coming to Home Park to play football and attack us, the press on our defence caused us problems, although once we got to grips with that we were able to play our usual game.

A special mention to Wilson who stopped a certain goal with a last ditch header.

Our two numbers 8s Broom and Camara both had a disappointing first half but were much better in the second period, especially Broom.
Hardie was surprisingly subbed, although he wasn't having his best game there was always a chance he could nick a goal.

We took a chance on our own corners by leaving just two players back to defend against two Donny attackers, it cost us a goal when Donny broke away from one of our corners, we still persisted with this even after we conceded that goal.
In contrast, when we were losing we had every player back to defend a corner.

Donny started the game well and forced some early corners, we weathered that early pressure and created some chances.
Hardie over ran the ball with just the keeper to beat, Jephcott tried a dink over the keeper who did well to close him down and Grant had two shots well saved - one from a tight angle on the volley and another was a long range effort.

Camara and Broom were strangely subdued and it highlighted that if they don't play well the team does not play well.

We played much better in the second half with Broom now having an influence on the left side.
Camara started to stretch his legs by running at the Donny defence.

Donny fought back and nearly benefitted from a mix up between Cooper and Scarr.

From one of our corners Donny broke away and scored when Hiwula easily beat Cooper, although Wilson tried his best to stop it on the goal line.
It was our own fault for only leaving two defenders marking two attackers when winning a corner.
This happened during the first half and should have been addressed at half time.

Gillesphey replaced Galloway who looked out of sorts.

The best move of the game (eventually) brought the equaliser with a great move down the left ended with Broom about to cross but was hacked down just as he released the ball. The ref pointed to the spot, Jephcott placed the ball down and faced away from the keeper until the final second before turning to fire to the right side, the keeper pushed the ball onto the post but the ball thankfully trickled back along the goal line and in. Phew! 1-1.

What's with keepers now wearing long gloves that look like washing up gloves!

Donny were still up for it and credit to them when other teams might have spoilt the last minutes to play for a draw.

Hardie was replaced by Garrick and then Jephcott was subbed for Agard.

Just when it looked like we had to settle for a point we were awarded another penalty.
Remember we had the joint least amount of penalties last season and now we had two in one game!
A Gillesphey cross was lost by the Donny keeper and in trying to retrieve the ball he brought down Agard.
Grant did the business and fired in the winner.

Amidst the late mayhem Richie Wellens was shown the red card and was the injury time board displayed? I didn't see it.

It's a sign of a good team that we didn't play well but still won.

Wilson was the best of the back three and stopped a certain goal with a header.
Cooper was very casual and showed no urgency, it was probably his worst performance for a while but that's expected from a young player.

Broom was our best player in the second half, you got the feeling Lowe had a word with him and Camara at half time.

Overall Houghton was our best player, consistent throughout the game with his passing and holding play.

How the hell are Doncaster bottom of the league? They played well.

Was it just me but I thought the pitch markings looked dull, they're usually bright white.

Man of the Match - Houghton.

Cooper 5, Wilson 8, Scarr 7, Galloway 6, Houghton 8, Edwards 7, Camara 6, Broom 7, Grant 7, Hardie 6, Jephcott 7. Subs - Gillesphey 6, Agard 6, Garrick 6.

View attachment 604
I have to agree that that was an unconvincing performance by Mike Cooper today.
He failed to collect a bouncing ball that he would normally have collected and I also thought that he was indecisive and slow with his distribution on several occasions.
He did, however, make a crucial save low at his near post when the score was 1-1.
Not bad, though, considering that his last poor game was at home to Gillingham last season when he had a clean sheet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Superguy

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
There needs to be a ‘Plan B‘ when things don‘t go well. Today Doncaster pressed Argyle’s defenders and stopped them playing the ball out. This is a tactic which teams are using to disrupt Argyle. I would think the solution is to have the option of playing long balls- thats why a big target man could be handy.

Camara and Broom play with such intensity that they will inevitably get tired, especially if they play two games in a week. They may need to be rested every so often.

The bench looked a bit weak. Mayor and George Cooper would have been good options to have.
The ‘bench’, Gillesphey and Agard, were both involved in the move that resulted in our winning goal.
Also, Garrick caused them a few problems and went very close with a shot that was just wide of the far post.

Jan 7, 2007
Plymouth
The organisation needs sorting when we have a corner. On 4 occasions in 2nd half we were left defending 2 v2 which is madness. The 3rd occasion led directly to their goal. On the whole it was a tired performance & Lowe needs to rotate. The new fitness coach will earn his corn getting recovery into the lads for Tuesday. Still, good to grind out a win without playing well.

Jan 27, 2012
Mike Cooper is good at making diving saves, but is still learning when it comes to taking crosses and general decision making (the bread and butter stuff that looks less spectacular but is still crucial). Although a good prospect, he is not yet at the level of Alex Palmer or Rene Matthews in my opinion.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010

May 16, 2016
A game that could have gone either way. Suspect if both were to be playing in L1 next Season, one would be happy and see it as success, the other not.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
The passing move leading up to our first penalty was a thing of beauty.

That was a tough, ugly win. Doncaster worked ever so hard and probably deserved something for the game but it’s great to see the current never-give-up attitude of the Argyle players

Apr 8, 2021
Doncaster were always going to come out fighting and did. No surprise. We won‘t play brilliantly every week. No surprise - particularly on the back of Pompey. BIG change from last season is overall character and desire to fight back from tricky situations - really impressive and fundamental to any team that will compete for promotion. Two observations … we can’t afford for Mike Cooper to have a wobble. He’s total class and needs to be reminded of it. Jeffers is a different player this year. Far better off the ball IMO, but we need him to be confident in front of goal … his pen today could either boost or reduce his confidence. He’s a an instinctive striker and let’s hope it gets him back in stride. GREAT win. COYG.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Doncaster were always going to come out fighting and did. No surprise. We won‘t play brilliantly every week. No surprise - particularly on the back of Pompey. BIG change from last season is overall character and desire to fight back from tricky situations - really impressive and fundamental to any team that will compete for promotion. Two observations … we can’t afford for Mike Cooper to have a wobble. He’s total class and needs to be reminded of it. Jeffers is a different player this year. Far better off the ball IMO, but we need him to be confident in front of goal … his pen today could either boost or reduce his confidence. He’s a an instinctive striker and let’s hope it gets him back in stride. GREAT win. COYG.
Agreed but how could a confident player demonstrate or increase his confidence by standing with his back to the penalty spot not looking at the goal or the keeper??
You need to be next to the ball, looking at the keeper, smiling slightly sadistically! ;)

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
Just listened to what Richie Wellens had to say- he is not a happy camper
He was not at all complimentary about Mr Kettle he felt they were not penalties & they would have won the game as they had limited our play
How many games have we been hard done by by a referee- i guess it levels out over a season
He says he got sent off for kicking an empty water bottle
I dont think he will want to see Mr Kettle again this season :D