Brief Synopsis - Sponsored by Bromleigh House Ltd | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Brief Synopsis - Sponsored by Bromleigh House Ltd

jthep

✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Apr 28, 2011
I sometimes think why bother - but occasionally you just have to ……..so from the 2020/1 a few reminders from matches that actually mattered:

Crawley 3- Leeds 0
Peterborough 1- Chorley 2
Oxford City 2- Northampton 1
Chorley 2- Derby County 0

there are some very sad souls here tonight - but thankfully most remain both objective and optimistic. But I really do need to check who I am surrounded by on my spanking new season ticket!

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Put it this way, if this were an FA Cup game, we’d be very pleased with a professional display and a 3 nil win against a national league side, so why not today?

Reactions: jthep

Mark Smith

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Luxembourg and Horsham
This was a comfortable win, but above all it was what a late PSF should be, a chance to try a few players out in a largely settled formation. We showed two divisions’ more class without getting out of second gear, a little bit like how we were gently shown the gap with the Championship by our previous opponents.

I see a decent team fitting together with a solid formation and some invention. We are stronger than we were this time last year. I see a lot to like.

RKB

♣️ PASTA Member
Jul 22, 2013
It was 5-1 but Reuben was still at FGR, I think. Yeovil destroyed us that day and yet ended up getting relegated from the Football League.

Mar 14, 2009
So it was nice to be at an “away” game.

l thought there were a number of postives.

1. Ennis. If this guy doesn’t become a fans favourite next year then l will be totally amazed. Great with his back to goal. Terrific link up play. Always a presence.

2. Randell. A great eye for a pass. Comfortable on the ball. Thought his corner delivery was decent today because he put it in with more pace on the ball, than say a Conor Grant corner kick. Great battle ahead with him and Houghton for that CDM position.

3. Defensively solid. Not just today, but in pre-season overall, we seem to be a better organised unit.

4. Good debut by Broom. A proper CM. By which l mean he got back well but he had the vision and a pass on him too. I thought we had a decent balance about us today and noticed how we attacked using both flanks when he was on the pitch.

So the bad stuff..

1. Jephcott lovers won’t like this but l just don’t think he has the attributes to play at league one level. Ennis was everywhere. Comes short. Can run behind. Jephcott is neither physical enough with his hold up play or have the pace to get in behind. Argyle desperately need another decent forward because whilst Hardie runs the channels well l think we need more presence if we want to achieve a top 10 place.

2. The LWB position. I’m a big fan of Law. Yet today showed how raw he is. Done some great things but some really sloppy things. l just don’t think Conor Grant is good enough for a LWB permanent position. l think we still haven’t sorted this wing back position. We get in good positions but in the final third it stalls somewhat.

3. The balance of the team. I still don’t think the balance of the team is right. We lack “presence”, apart from Ennis, up top and if something happens to him we are screwed. I don’t think we have enough pace in the wide positions. Mayor worries me too. Yes he can have a moment of brilliance and turn a player but he can lose the ball too by holding onto it for too long. Both situations in areas of the pitch where l think it occurs too deep in our half of the pitch. Happened today at Torquay once more. Obviously this tactic worked in league 2 at Bury but for two years now he looks like a winger being asked to play CM.

l think we are going to see some improvements this season. I also think we are going to have many tear your hair out moments. We have the makings of a good side. I just think key pieces are still missing from a Ryan Lowe Argyle puzzle.

Jul 6, 2011
I enjoyed the game, thought both teams played well and personally I would love to see Torquay back in the league. For me Broom was pretty decent, quick and good control and I reckon there's every chance he could be in the starting line-up at Rotherham. People keep saying that it's between Houghton and Randell, but I think its Camara who should be looking over his shoulder. Compared to Randell he was slow and predictable, but at least he scored.
Its difficult to pick out individual performances with all the substitutions but Tomlinson, Ennis, Randell and Scar stood out for me. Houghton did everything that was asked of him.
I'm quite confident that argyle will do enough this season to at least reach a mid table position if not higher.

Jun 27, 2019
Nope, I'm SURE Rubes scored a hat trick.
I think the game being referred to was the pre-season friendly in 2018 when Derek Adams' new-look 'defence' was battered 5-1 by a League Two side who were relegated that season.

Sep 6, 2006
There's a difference between realism and downright pessimism.
And who's to say what's real? I am more of a pessimist but I never expected us to get relegated 2 years ago or lose 6.0 at home to Charlton etc. I don't see the point in having too high expectations. I did when I was 12 years old but have learnt the hard way.
I see a lot on here now saying what a great defence we have. Really? After losing 3 home games. Pre season friendlies just don't tell you much.

Jun 18, 2005
born St. Columb, Cornwall
And who's to say what's real? I am more of a pessimist but I never expected us to get relegated 2 years ago or lose 6.0 at home to Charlton etc. I don't see the point in having too high expectations. I did when I was 12 years old but have learnt the hard way.
I see a lot on here now saying what a great defence we have. Really? After losing 3 home games. Pre season friendlies just don't tell you much.
I don't think posters are saying the defence is 'great', but it certainly looks an improvement over the last couple of seasons to me.