Cream First
šŸ‡°šŸ‡Ŗ Welicar Donor
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Feb 24, 2007
We were just as weak as they were.
Not at the end.

We made big changes because we struggled so much.

Ended more or less the strongest lineup we had bar Mumba.

unhinched

šŸš‘ Steve Hooper
Apr 16, 2016
My main criticism of Ryan Law has always been that he lacks confidence and therefore heā€™s not been enough of a threat, he rarely ever looked to take on his man and would always go for the safe option, even Conor Grant does that to an extent. Endacott last night on the other hand was focused on beating his man and putting in early crosses which was great to see. And as you say, with a 5/6 year age gap between them thatā€™s impressive. Kudos to Endacott.
I know which one I'd like to see come off the bench with 20 minutes left if we were chasing a game and losing 1-0. Although I might be being premature based on one performance.

Reactions: TQ2 and Cobi Budge

MGM

āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Dec 7, 2021
If l had a choice ld like to see 4ATB from the moment we started this attacking philosophy with Lowe and l will explain why.

The type of football we want to replicate needs players who are comfortable on the ball in your team. They are aware of each other. They can keep possession.

Now you look at our budget. We are trying to find CBā€™s not only good on the ball, but who have pace, can read a game and defend consistently well because they are vulnerable to counter attacks.

Then with 3ATB system you creative width comes from a wing back. Who not only has to have the engine to get up and down the field but provide attacking width to the byline.

In midfield, you need players who are good on the ball, but can cover ground because you defence is vulnerable & your wing backs need support.

With a 4ATB system you have a left & right back who support a left and right midfielder or winger. You have two CBā€™s who can just defend. Then give a simple ball out to the full backs. Imagine seeing Bradley or Coughlan, in a 3ATB system. They would be exposed via lack of pace and not being fantastic on the ball. Yet we know they were good CBā€™s for this level.

So Argyle has chosen this route with the budget they have. If you havenā€™t worked it out they are playing the long game. Why people think Edwards and C Grant have been converted into wing backs. Simply, as they can do a job on the budget we have.

I said it before Argyle have played a PR blinder. They have brought themselves time to grow the club, the infrastructure and therefore increase the revenue to bring in better players.

Why do people think Argyle were getting promoted when they brought in Houghton last season from MK Dons, who are trying to play similar style football and they deemed he wasnā€™t good enough for them. He was better than what we had but unfortunately he still isnā€™t good enough.

Thats why lā€™ve wanted to see better football each year. Knowing the how strong the sides are in league one and our financial situation. It was always going to be a battle playing a system that needs a real type of possession based quality and have strong athletic credentials.

Look at Camera. Our best outfield player. Love him to bits. Unfortunately, he has very little end product in the final third. No wonder we bring in loans like Azaz. They have exactly the attributes we need but we canā€™t afford these type of players permanently.

It was always about the long game. Look how long it took Exeter youth policy to kick into action. Thatā€™s taken years & years to find a team capable of getting them out of league 2. We are years behind them in terms of producing and selling talent. Eventually that will come.

We can moan all we like about formations, results, play styles etcā€¦. Unfortunately me, you, the supporter base is going to have to be patient. Thatā€™s not after 10 games. Thatā€™s not after this season. Thatā€™s at least 2 or 3 years down the line because until we close the financial gulf with some of these other teams we always going to be behind the 8-ball.

I swear people think the word ā€œpatienceā€œ is a wind up. Itā€™s actually what you going to need because otherwise for the short term l feel your going to be left frustrated.

JannerinCardiff

šŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æ
ā™£ļø SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Not at the end.

We made big changes because we struggled so much.

Ended more or less the strongest lineup we had bar Mumba.

And weren't we the better side creating the majority of chances when we had our better players on the pitch??

Tugboat

Cream First
šŸ‡°šŸ‡Ŗ Welicar Donor
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Feb 24, 2007
And weren't we the better side creating the majority of chances when we had our better players on the pitch??
Yes.

But did we put any chances on the net?

I know on another day you could say we wouldnā€™t lose that but we did and thatā€™s the focus. Chances missed donā€™t equate to wins.

We are lacking serious chilli for our vindaloo. Would you go for a vindaloo without chilli?

Reactions: Superguy

MGM

āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Dec 7, 2021
Yes.

I know on another day you could say we wouldnā€™t lose that but we did and thatā€™s the focus. Chances missed donā€™t equate to wins.

We are lacking serious chilli for our vindaloo. Would you go for a vindaloo without chilli?

Problem is the good chilli is too expensive so we have to go with the budget chilli which unfortunately isnā€™t up to the same standard as the top 8 teams in this league.

Peterborough had deluxe chilli on the bench. Chilli on a top shelf we just canā€™t reach.

JannerinCardiff

ā™£ļø SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Yes.

Prefer a Lamb Corriander myself.. (y) :D

JannerinCardiff

ā™£ļø SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Problem is the good chilli is too expensive so we have to go with the budget chilli which unfortunately isnā€™t up to the same standard as the top 8 teams in this league.

Peterborough had deluxe chilli on the bench. Chilli on a top shelf we just canā€™t reach.

No guarantees that Peterboroughs deluxe Chilli will taste any better on Saturday between 3:00 - 4:45 tho...

I think a lot of people are having a massive over reaction to a match where we played a lot of new faces with most having not played together in a competitive match before and over the whole match we were probably the better side albeit it we just didn't score.

Just think ....we could be in the automatic promotion spots with a good win on Saturday, then everyone will say how great we are and that Home Park is a fortress etc... I'm sure Shuey is saying and doing the right things by not getting the players too high when we win and not too down when we lose.

Tugboat

Cream First
šŸ‡°šŸ‡Ŗ Welicar Donor
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Feb 24, 2007
Iā€™ll put it another way, another analogy..

A chilli pepper with no heat? Would you still put them and expect a fiery taste?

MGM

āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Dec 7, 2021
No guarantees that Peterboroughs deluxe Chilli will taste any better on Saturday between 3:00 - 4:45 tho...

I think a lot of people are having a massive over reaction to a match where we played a lot of new faces with most having not played together in a competitive match before and over the whole match we were probably the better side albeit it we just didn't score.

Just think ....we could be in the automatic promotion spots with a good win on Saturday, then everyone will say how great we are and that Home Park is a fortress etc... I'm sure Shuey is saying and doing the right things by not getting the players too high when we win and not too down when we lose.

My basis on us not getting promotion is not the recent results.

Pre-season l loved for the excitement of seeing something new tactically. But pre-season you must not read too much into it. I mean Man Utd besting Liverpool 4-0 should tell most people this.

Unfortuately, the reason l think differently to you is simply squad depth. Miller comes in. Gets injured. Mumba did well. Got injured though. And so last night we played a 17 year old, who did really well, but we are stretched only after a few games of this season.

I like Ennis as a player. But if something happened to Hardie l would be worried. If Azaz got injured l am not sure the quality to replace him dips significantly. God forbid Cooper gets injured. I just donā€™t think Burton is anywhere near his levels so significant drop offs.

Look at the midfield currently. Whoā€™s that guy last year that presses and wins the ball back and was a game changer. Camara. He was one of the best in the league at it. Butcher does well but you need more than just one player so if Butcher isnā€™t doing well or gets tired who can replace him?

We could win on Saturday and play well but l still donā€™t think we will get promoted. And thats not because l want to be all doom n gloom but l just donā€™t think there is enough quality in depth in the squad for a top 6 position.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2022
Agree we probably shouldn't have lost I think a goal either way reflects the match better than the eventual scoreline.

Positives are Lonwijk looked very good, what I'd call low risk high reward, never took unnecessary risks and made some excellent challenges, also read the game very well.

Endacott looked great, the opposite to the above mentioned in a sense he took plenty of risks, which is good to see a youngster show enough confidence to try things.

I have to agree with what some have said here and I would happily see us bring in an experienced CF and lose the service of Jephcott Ennis will be useful over the season but just didn't look at the races last night.

Whitaker looked lively too but it must be said bringing Randell on completely changed things.

All in all Peterborough are a good side, we matched them for large portions of the game and they had some very questionable decisions go in their favour. We need to be smarter about when to play it out, specially at this level and pass accuracy must improve, pair that with forwards that don't want to walk the ball in and I think we'll be "ok"

MGM

āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Dec 7, 2021
I like Chicken Tarka. Itā€™s like Chicken Tikka but a little ā€˜otter!!!!

Prefer chicken tikka. I tried lamb tikka. I love lamb. It was as disappointing as Hardieā€™s penalty against Chelsea.

Jannerz

šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Jul 30, 2022
Hi, I've rewatched the whole match on Argyle TV, and I feel we are not as far away as I originally thought. I think it was good to take a second look and step back a bit, without the emotion of the game live. First half we just set up our back line too deep and gave them too much respect. Second half was a different ball game, we pressed higher up, moved the team 10/15 yds further up the pitch, upped the tempo and dominated.

Some really impressive performances second half from Longwijk, Randell, Azaz, Whittaker and Endacott. So many chances created I lost count, against a very decent Peterborough side. Just for me the one missing piece that I hope Schuey will put all his focus on in training..composure in front of goal.

Ennis - central 6 yds out heads the ball within reach of the keeper at a comfortable height. the technique should always be to head down, especially against such a big keeper. certain goal missed.

Azaz - made space for himself just outside and inside the box on 4 occasions. did brilliantly until he shot. 3 of them over the bar leaning back slightly trying to power them into the net. where was the cool composure for the Barnsley goal?

Whittaker - made 2 chances for himself, same as Azaz trying too hard and over the bar.

This is the fine margin we talk about at this level. I believe once we click, we will be away. But it has to start with some cool heads and composure in front of goal, for me. Shoot low, head down. What do you think? Is there anything else that stands out?

Last edited: