Brief Synopsis (Peterborough) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis (Peterborough)

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Ennis should have scored, seems to have lost his mojo.

There is a footballer in Whittaker but not sure he is a team player, he is going to score soon though I think.

I definitely saw more from Whittaker than I did from Ennis.

Ennis has been disappointing for a while now, when he was out injured I was one of the people talking him up and saying that we'd be a different animal with him up top etc, I hope I'm still proven right, but so far he's been completely ineffective. I hoped that maybe he'd come alive with this new system, but not on last night's evidence.

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
First post from me so here goes.
Poor first half with too many misplaced passes. Ennis had a free header right at the start of the second half from a great ball in from Endacott, which should have been put away even allowing for a great save from their keeper. We must be more clinical in putting away these good chances when they come along.
Generally much better from us in the second half in especially when Azaz came on. Randell has to start as he offers more in attack than Houghton and is more confident on the ball.
Endacott after an expected nervy start played very well and delivered some really telling crosses into the box in the second half.
Saturdays game will be a tough one, with different starting line ups from both teams but I feel we will create chances and hopefully after some shooting practice this week we can get a good result.
Welcome, TG :)

Feb 2, 2005
Cornwall
Scrappy game with a new formation, players not used to playing with each other and still getting up to match speed playing a part in a fairly rubbish first half bar Peterborough goal.

I thought Butcher looked out of his depth in comparison. Does he get his spot back? Randell changed the game when he came on.

Endacott looked good all evening. Without wanting to put pressure on the lad but with Miller injured, Law out on loan and Grant's fitness he could do well for us this season.

The problems about lack of composure in goal reared their heads again. Ennis really should have scored.

Whilst I admired the refs consistency I was left scratching my head at some of the calls made. What did someone have to do to win a freekick?

Move on

I thought he was excellent in terms of what you can expect from a 17 year old on his debut (hence me giving him an 8/10) but I’m not sure that he’s ready to be considered to start league games just yet, despite his performance you could still see that he’s young and inexperienced. Mumba back in for Saturday but Endacott is one for the future and hopefully he gets more game time in the pizza cup.
I agree. Defensively first half I thought he was shaky. At the moment, if we play him regularly, I think it could cost us. Lots of promise though , especially going forward and whipping left footed crosses in. Let’s give him time and think of him as one for the future. Unfortunately right now he’s our Lwb cover so a loan isn’t possible.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Without having seen the game from comments on here and from Schuey, Endacott sounds like he has the qualities Law seems to be lacking which is self belief and confidence. Comparing their ages of 17 and 23 it bodes well for his future.

Reactions: JannerinCardiff

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Without having seen the game from comments on here and from Schuey, Endacott sounds like he has the qualities Law seems to be lacking which is self belief and confidence. Comparing their ages of 17 and 23 it bodes well for his future.

My main criticism of Ryan Law has always been that he lacks confidence and therefore he’s not been enough of a threat, he rarely ever looked to take on his man and would always go for the safe option, even Conor Grant does that to an extent. Endacott last night on the other hand was focused on beating his man and putting in early crosses which was great to see. And as you say, with a 5/6 year age gap between them that’s impressive. Kudos to Endacott.

Mar 11, 2021
Tavistock
A game we should not have lost - too many chances missed.

I am confident we will turn them over on Saturday with our best 11 starting. Yes, I realise they did not field their best 11 either but Schuey will have them ready to put it "right" this Saturday.

I am not bothered about the League Cup at all. I love to see a goo FA Cup run but the League Cup does nothing for me at all....

Reactions: JannerinCardiff

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
I didn't think it was anywhere near as poor a performance as many are suggesting and there were quite a few positives to take from the game (and a few negatives of course). Personally, I thought Butcher was fine in the first half, especially as he had to spend a lot of time helping to shore up the left side of the defence (see Endacott below):

+ Lonwijk - he missed one or two tackles and interceptions but in general he read the game well, made some great saving tackles and carried the ball forwards with confidence. At times, particularly in the second half, he was almost a midfielder which I think is what you want from the central defender in a back three when your team is on top (think Harry Darling at MK Dons in the last couple of seasons)

+ Endacott - boy is he quick, and from an attacking perspective he looks really exciting showing confidence and willingness to get past people and put a cross in. In the attacking half of the field he was a major positive

+ Galloway - looked assured and confident. It won't be long before he's back in the starting line-up for league games

+ Randell - he's our best all-round midfielder and should always start ahead of Houghton and Butcher

+ Whittaker - nothing outstanding but I think he started to show us what he can bring to the team - he's skillful and pacy and prepared to take defenders on

+ Azaz - he's a player and made a real difference when he came on. He finds space, makes space for himself once he has the ball and is ALWAYS looking to have an end produce - he obviously LOVES shooting. He's a very exciting addition to the squad. Hopefully he will stop shooting at the moon though.

- Endacott - obviously I don't want to be critical of a young lad starting off and there were lots of positives from him BUT, defensively he was fairly easily beaten on many occasions so there is work to be done there. Mind you, I could have written the same comments about pretty much any player who has played left-wing-back for Argyle over the last few seasons so perhaps it is the position/formation that is at fault rather than the players...

- Wilson - this one might be controversial but I think his performances have gone down from when he first joined. To me he seems always to slow the game down too much and he is quite frequently caught out of position after he has bombed rather recklessly forwards. He also just doesn't look very happy with things and quite often commits unnecessary fouls, usually because he is out of position and resorts to desperate measures. But he's obviously a strong player for us so hopefully this is just a bit of a dip in form that is easily corrected.

- Ennis - I have sympathy for him (and Jephcott) as he hasn't had a good run of games to settle into position and find his touch but at the moment I don't really see what he offers. He often wins the first ball but then is usually quite easily robbed as his control is not good enough. He also overplays a bit and in the wrong places (which led to the first goal last night).

- Forwards - at the moment it is difficult to see how best to deploy the forwards we have. None of them is suited to being a lone striker, only Whittaker looks like he could be a wide attacker, Jephcott needs to be in the penalty area not deeper etc.

- Tackling - the thing I noticed most last night was that Peterborough were simply MUCH better at tacking than we were. People have been crying out for more aggression but I don't think that is what is missing. Peterborough were not aggressive, they were just more effective/skillful and quicker. We need to tackle better.

- Formation - to be honest I am not really sure what the formation was last night but it seems to me that we need: 2 up front, 2 central (not attacking) midfielders AND 2 linking (attacking) midfielders and that only having 1 of any of these leaves us thin on numbers and easily over-run. But 2+2+2 = 6 which, of course, leaves only 4 other outfield players to form the defence. So, playing 3 at the back with wing-backs inevitably means that either our midfield presence, creative/forward linkage or attacking threat is lacking. Personally, I would play 4 at the back but I know that this won't happen. I suppose that if Lonwijk became our main central defender and continued to join the midfield well then we might be able to dispense with one of the central midfielders. Anyway, I just don't see how the current formation is supposed to work reliably with the current personnel.

Onwards to Saturday - a completely different test which will have a completely different feel to the game.

Reactions: Tugboat

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Interesting views from The Doctor.

Already posted think Houghton isn't reproducing form from his 21/22 (pre March) showings.

Wilson is approaching (or in) the twilight of his career, perhaps a little slower thus season - wasn't necessarily fast last season.

Edwards - as Wilson re stage of career but full of energy but maybe less final product than last season.

3 important players from 21/22 yet to find that form this season.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
I didn't think it was anywhere near as poor a performance as many are suggesting and there were quite a few positives to take from the game (and a few negatives of course). Personally, I thought Butcher was fine in the first half, especially as he had to spend a lot of time helping to shore up the left side of the defence (see Endacott below):

+ Lonwijk - he missed one or two tackles and interceptions but in general he read the game well, made some great saving tackles and carried the ball forwards with confidence. At times, particularly in the second half, he was almost a midfielder which I think is what you want from the central defender in a back three when your team is on top (think Harry Darling at MK Dons in the last couple of seasons)

+ Endacott - boy is he quick, and from an attacking perspective he looks really exciting showing confidence and willingness to get past people and put a cross in. In the attacking half of the field he was a major positive

+ Galloway - looked assured and confident. It won't be long before he's back in the starting line-up for league games

+ Randell - he's our best all-round midfielder and should always start ahead of Houghton and Butcher

+ Whittaker - nothing outstanding but I think he started to show us what he can bring to the team - he's skillful and pacy and prepared to take defenders on

+ Azaz - he's a player and made a real difference when he came on. He finds space, makes space for himself once he has the ball and is ALWAYS looking to have an end produce - he obviously LOVES shooting. He's a very exciting addition to the squad. Hopefully he will stop shooting at the moon though.

- Endacott - obviously I don't want to be critical of a young lad starting off and there were lots of positives from him BUT, defensively he was fairly easily beaten on many occasions so there is work to be done there. Mind you, I could have written the same comments about pretty much any player who has played left-wing-back for Argyle over the last few seasons so perhaps it is the position/formation that is at fault rather than the players...

- Wilson - this one might be controversial but I think his performances have gone down from when he first joined. To me he seems always to slow the game down too much and he is quite frequently caught out of position after he has bombed rather recklessly forwards. He also just doesn't look very happy with things and quite often commits unnecessary fouls, usually because he is out of position and resorts to desperate measures. But he's obviously a strong player for us so hopefully this is just a bit of a dip in form that is easily corrected.

- Ennis - I have sympathy for him (and Jephcott) as he hasn't had a good run of games to settle into position and find his touch but at the moment I don't really see what he offers. He often wins the first ball but then is usually quite easily robbed as his control is not good enough. He also overplays a bit and in the wrong places (which led to the first goal last night).

- Forwards - at the moment it is difficult to see how best to deploy the forwards we have. None of them is suited to being a lone striker, only Whittaker looks like he could be a wide attacker, Jephcott needs to be in the penalty area not deeper etc.

- Tackling - the thing I noticed most last night was that Peterborough were simply MUCH better at tacking than we were. People have been crying out for more aggression but I don't think that is what is missing. Peterborough were not aggressive, they were just more effective/skillful and quicker. We need to tackle better.

- Formation - to be honest I am not really sure what the formation was last night but it seems to me that we need: 2 up front, 2 central (not attacking) midfielders AND 2 linking (attacking) midfielders and that only having 1 of any of these leaves us thin on numbers and easily over-run. But 2+2+2 = 6 which, of course, leaves only 4 other outfield players to form the defence. So, playing 3 at the back with wing-backs inevitably means that either our midfield presence, creative/forward linkage or attacking threat is lacking. Personally, I would play 4 at the back but I know that this won't happen. I suppose that if Lonwijk became our main central defender and continued to join the midfield well then we might be able to dispense with one of the central midfielders. Anyway, I just don't see how the current formation is supposed to work reliably with the current personnel.

Onwards to Saturday - a completely different test which will have a completely different feel to the game.
Very well written.

Jun 26, 2006
Sorry but I anticipate a similar if not bigger scoreline on Saturday . Peterborough have now had a practice against us and our system and have it worked out . As we don't play different ways/systems they already know what they have to do.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Peterborough we’re not a full strength.

Saturdays game will be more difficult IMO

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Endacott going forward is generally good but think he needs a lot more defensive coaching, didn't stop anything coming in and was lucky not to give a penalty away. Not ready for 90 mins of league action yet, but a great prospect and this experience can only help with his development.

Ennis should have scored, seems to have lost his mojo.

There is a footballer in Whittaker but not sure he is a team player, he is going to score soon though I think.

Isn’t that what Lincoln fans said about Whittaker last season when on loan - that he wasn’t a team player.

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Sorry but I anticipate a similar if not bigger scoreline on Saturday . Peterborough have now had a practice against us and our system and have it worked out . As we don't play different ways/systems they already know what they have to do.

Really? We were the better side for the majority of the match and certainly after 35 minutes creating 14-15 shots. I think we’ve still a decent chance of coming away with something from the game on Saturday.

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Peterborough we’re not a full strength.

Saturdays game will be more difficult IMO

We were just as weak as they were imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drake