Brief Synopsis (Peterborough) | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Brief Synopsis (Peterborough)

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
A game that we probably shouldn't have lost.

Both sides unsurprisingly made a number of changes.

We started really slowly, with everyone looking as if they were running in treacle, in midfield especially. Peterborough looked significantly better for the opening 35 minutes or so and scored a simple one on one. We were really struggling with the press, we couldn't play through it because our passing was too laboured and we couldn't play over it because the ball wasn't sticking up top. We came into the game more in the last 10 minutes of the opening period, Whittaker made a few good solo runs but couldn't test their keeper. Jephcott could have possibly done better with an effort he put straight at the keeper.

Randell's introduction at half time gave us more control in the middle of the park. Ennis had a free header soon after the restart but Peterborough's keeper made the save - Ennis probably should have done better. In terms of chance creation we were the far better team in the second half, although there were still some nervy moments as Peterborough pressed high. With each substitution we seemed to grow in confidence. Azaz sent a few efforts over the bar. Randell had a chance but could also only fire over. Whittaker forced a good save. Endacott sent in a great cross but nobody could meet it. Time ticked away and into 2 of 4 minutes added on we won a corner, Cooper got the shout from the bench to head up, but then we inexplicably took a short corner, lost the ball and Peterborough broke to score.

We were disjointed, but we did create opportunities - we simply weren't sharp enough in front of goal. I still think the 3421 has merit, but the front three tonight weren't the players to execute it properly.

Cooper wasn't tested much from a shot-stopping point of view, he couldn't do a lot about the first and he was hung out to dry for the second, but I do think his distribution could have been better. At the back I thought all three starting CB's had reasonable if not spectacular games, Gillesphey made a few too many sloppy passes when he came on.

Edwards was his usual energetic self and he was one of the few trying to get us going in the opening 45. Endacott put in a great shift, he made mistakes as you'd expect but he also did what I haven't seen Law do enough - to be honest what I haven't seen Grant do enough either - in that he backed himself and constantly took on his man.

I thought both starting central midfielders had poor games. Butcher was pulled at HT after failing to really influence things in the first half, we looked better with Randell. Houghton was sloppy throughout with numerous misplaced passes and he was caught in possession too many times.

Whittaker was lively and he tried to make things happen but his end product was lacking. Jephcott shouldn't be playing unless we're playing with two up top, I got tired at the number of times he backed into a defender, fell over and then claimed he'd been fouled. I thought Ennis was ineffective, his first touch was poor, his link up play with the other two in the three was poor, he was outmuscled so many times, I'm disappointed because I've been one of the people talking about how effective he could be in a three but perhaps not on tonight's evidence, we looked more threatening with Hardie. We improved significantly with Azaz but he was guilty of missing the target on a few occasions.

Despite Endacott's good performance, I don't think anyone did enough to force their way into contention and I'd go with the same eleven on Saturday as against Barnsley.

Whilst not directly influencing the result, the officials were poor. Every throw in was a complete lottery, as was every corner and every 50/50. I don't think I've ever seen Schumacher as animated toward a fourth official as he was tonight.

Cooper - 6
Wilson - 6
Lonwijk - 6
Galloway - 6
Edwards - 7
Houghton - 4
Butcher - 4
Endacott - 8
Whittaker - 6
Jephcott - 4
Ennis - 4

Randell - 6
Gillesphey - 5
Azaz - 7
Mayor - 5
Hardie - 5

Last edited:

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
If you look where we lost the ball, it shows you how difficult it is to play our style.

They win the ball in our half. Pass the ball swiftly in a couple of movement. Goal.

Last Saturday we didn’t tackle a player who ran the length of the field.

As much as we talking about lack of goals, you can’t be giving teams these type of soft goals.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Houghton was very important part of the team, in my view, last season.

His level of performance seemed to drop off around March or the opposition worked him out. Whichever it was a summer break doesn’t seem to have rejuvenated his influence in the team yet.

Reactions: Fergy
Jul 6, 2009
Houghton, Edwards, Ennis and Jephcott were poor. Azaz and Randell looked good when they came on. Lonwijk and Endacott had good moments. We lost because their keeper made an outstanding save from an Ennis header and our finishing was generally awful. Comical second goal summed up a frustrating evening.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth

We started really slowly, with everyone looking as if they were running in treacle, in midfield especially. Peterborough looked significantly better for the opening 35 minutes or so and scored a simple one on one. We were really struggling with the press, we couldn't play through it because our passing was too laboured and we couldn't play over it because the ball wasn't sticking up top. We came into the game more in the last 10 minutes of the opening period, Whittaker made a few good solo runs but couldn't test their keeper. Jephcott could have possibly done better with an effort he put straight at the keeper.

Randell's introduction at half time gave us more control in the middle of the park. Ennis had a free header soon after the restart but Peterborough's keeper made the save - Ennis probably should have done better. In terms of chance creation we were the far better team in the second half, although there were still some nervy moments as Peterborough pressed high. With each substitution we seemed to grow in confidence. Azaz sent a few efforts over the bar. Randell had a chance but could also only fire over. Whittaker forced a good save. Endacott sent in a great cross but nobody could meet it. Time ticked away and into 2 of 4 minutes added on we won a corner, Cooper got the shout from the bench to head up, but then we inexplicably took a short corner, lost the ball and Peterborough broke to score.

We were disjointed, but we did create opportunities - we simply weren't sharp enough in front of goal. I still think the 3421 has merit, but the front three tonight weren't the players to execute it properly.

Cooper wasn't tested much from a shot-stopping point of view, he couldn't do a lot about the first and he was hung out to dry for the second, but I do think his distribution could have been better. At the back I thought all three starting CB's had reasonable if not spectacular games, Gillesphey made a few too many sloppy passes when he came on.

Edwards was his usual energetic self and he was one of the few trying to get us going in the opening 45. Endacott put in a great shift, he made mistakes as you'd expect but he also did what I haven't seen Law do enough - to be honest what I haven't seen Grant do enough either - in that he backed himself and constantly took on his man.

I thought both starting central midfielders had poor games. Butcher was pulled at HT after failing to really influence things in the first half, we looked better with Randell. Houghton was sloppy throughout with numerous misplaced passes and he was caught in possession too many times.

Whittaker was lively and he tried to make things happen but his end product was lacking. Jephcott shouldn't be playing unless we're playing with two up top, I got tired at the number of times he backed into a defender, fell over and then claimed he'd been fouled. I thought Ennis was ineffective, his first touch was poor, his link up play with the other two in the three was poor, he was outmuscled so many times, I'm disappointed because I've been one of the people talking about how effective he could be in a three but perhaps not on tonight's evidence, we looked more threatening with Hardie. We improved significantly with Azaz but he was guilty of missing the target on a few occasions.

Despite Endacott's good performance, I don't think anyone did enough to force their way into contention and I'd go with the same eleven on Saturday as against Barnsley.

Whilst not directly influencing the result, the officials were poor. Every throw in was a complete lottery, as was every corner and every 50/50. I don't think I've ever seen Schumacher as animated toward a fourth official as he was tonight.

Cooper - 6
Wilson - 6
Lonwijk - 6
Galloway - 6
Edwards - 7
Houghton - 4
Butcher - 4
Endacott - 8
Whittaker - 6
Jephcott - 4
Ennis - 4

Randell - 6
Gillesphey - 5
Azaz - 7
Mayor - 5
Hardie - 5
i agree with your rating of butcher.he was well off the pace yesterday.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
I’d trade in Ennis and Jephcott for 1 decent experiences CF.

The system we now use relies heavily on the 2 shouldering midfielders, not necessarily the CF.

I don’t see us needing 4 out and out CF’s. Hence by Jephcott is being trailed in a deeper unsuccessful role.

Jephcott will do a job on a team that play a poacher style CF but he’s wasted in our formation. I’m still worried about Ennis. I thought the lone striker would be more suited to him. Guess we’re all still trying to bed it inz

May 16, 2016
Having seen a youtube clip from the Devonport, they were lucky to just get a yellow for the player that went sliding in both feet off the ground late in the game. Any more contact and it was a Red. Surprised (🤭) that ref didn't do more as he was on the ball with Peterboroughs more close up physical approach.

Oct 5, 2013
Sounds like Endacott had a good match, that’s very good news, there’s a great chance for him to stake his claim right now.

Reactions: Tugboat

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Sounds like Endacott had a good match, that’s very good news, there’s a great chance for him to stake his claim right now.
Yep, a players unfortuate injury has again opened up an opportunity for one of our own.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth

I thought he was excellent in terms of what you can expect from a 17 year old on his debut (hence me giving him an 8/10) but I’m not sure that he’s ready to be considered to start league games just yet, despite his performance you could still see that he’s young and inexperienced. Mumba back in for Saturday but Endacott is one for the future and hopefully he gets more game time in the pizza cup.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Houghton was very important part of the team, in my view, last season.

His level of performance seemed to drop off around March or the opposition worked him out. Whichever it was a summer break doesn’t seem to have rejuvenated his influence in the team yet.
Agreed. I like him - a calm, unfussy and quite classy player and thought he was a key part of our success in the first half of last season ......but he became a passenger by the end (and a liability in the final game :eek: ) . Was he carrying an injury of some sort or simply, as you say, other teams worked us out and/or his form just dipped? Either way it's a concern if he hasn't got his mojo back.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Agreed. I like him - a calm, unfussy and quite classy player and thought he was a key part of our success in the first half of last season ......but he became a passenger by the end (and a liability in the final game :eek: ) . Was he carrying an injury of some sort or simply, as you say, other teams worked us out and/or his form just dipped? Either way it's a concern if he hasn't got his mojo back.

Yep.

I’ve been a big fan of his in the past and I was hoping after the summer break he’d return rejuvenated following his dip in form during the final months of last season, but last night worryingly seemed to be a continuation of that form.

Reactions: JannerinCardiff
Jul 25, 2022
First post from me so here goes.
Poor first half with too many misplaced passes. Ennis had a free header right at the start of the second half from a great ball in from Endacott, which should have been put away even allowing for a great save from their keeper. We must be more clinical in putting away these good chances when they come along.
Generally much better from us in the second half in especially when Azaz came on. Randell has to start as he offers more in attack than Houghton and is more confident on the ball.
Endacott after an expected nervy start played very well and delivered some really telling crosses into the box in the second half.
Saturdays game will be a tough one, with different starting line ups from both teams but I feel we will create chances and hopefully after some shooting practice this week we can get a good result.

NLG

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 16, 2006
Endacott going forward is generally good but think he needs a lot more defensive coaching, didn't stop anything coming in and was lucky not to give a penalty away. Not ready for 90 mins of league action yet, but a great prospect and this experience can only help with his development.

Ennis should have scored, seems to have lost his mojo.

There is a footballer in Whittaker but not sure he is a team player, he is going to score soon though I think.

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018

Cooper - 6
Wilson - 6
Lonwijk - 6
Galloway - 6
Edwards - 7
Houghton - 4
Butcher - 4
Endacott - 8
Whittaker - 6
Jephcott - 4
Ennis - 4

Randell - 6