• Welcome to PASOTI (Sponsored by GA Solictors and Lang & Potter)
  • Hello guests - don't forget that by registering and signing up for Pasoti you'll see less adverts plus receive extras like free match tickets, taking part in polls, joining in the chat room and more. Come and join us!

BLM, Taking a knee and THAT symbol of racism

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
Lowey Sponsor
NHS Volunteer Supporter
Pasoti Donor
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
No, I didn’t know the exact figure. However one in 40k of the population is a small number but I expect that not all racists tweeted a racist comment so does knowing the number really help? Not really, all it shows is that when it comes down to abuse of a public figure, most of the abuse originates in the country where he is famous, which quite frankly is pretty obvious.

Nov 15, 2011
Wow, pretty obvious to you, but not to most people, certainly the media in the aftermath claimed the tweets came from overseas bots, Russian accounts and as The Daily Mirror states today, "It does remove the perception that much of it comes from overseas." You have a very special gift!

So you think that 1,622 racists on one social media outlet is a "small number" and knowing the number of racists out there tweeting abuse doesn't really help. On that we must disagree.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
Lowey Sponsor
NHS Volunteer Supporter
Pasoti Donor
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Special gift? No, just a hunch. How does knowing that 1622 racist tweets were made help us know how many actual racists there are? Did you really think that there are less racist people than 1622 in the UK? That number is meaningless.

Yes, 1622 is a small number in comparison to how many tweets are made from the uk on a daily basis. I didn’t mean small enough not to matter, but I’m sure you knew that anyway.

Nov 15, 2011
Err I don't think that the point was to identify every racist in the country, how would that even be possible?

Every media outlet today is reporting the story as identifying the size of the problem, including details of how the Tweets were quickly identified and closed down and ways to try and prevent it happening again including bans from matches. Headlines include "Twitter reveal scale of racism", (Independent) and The Sun details "Twitter lets you BLOCK replies on existing tweets after sick Euros 2020 racist abuse".

Understanding the scale of the problem and then putting in measures to address it seems very positive and far from meaningless to me.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
Lowey Sponsor
NHS Volunteer Supporter
Pasoti Donor
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
If you are going to use those numbers to gauge the scale of the problem, then you can assume that the problem is very small indeed (1622 out of 500 million tweets per day) as more people post pictures of their dinner than post racist tweets. I believe the problem is much bigger than that, which is why I think the numbers are meaningless.

Nov 15, 2011
But no one is saying because there were 1,622 tweets that day that's how many racists there are in the country, that's patently ridiculous, the police don't say there were 100 burglaries last night so there are 100 burglars in the country, that is obviously not the inference or conclusion drawn from the figures. It does however show that the problem is real and widespread and provide clues with where to put resources and how to deal with it. It objectively isn't meaningless,

I really have no idea what is the point you think you are making or why.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
Lowey Sponsor
NHS Volunteer Supporter
Pasoti Donor
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
But no one is saying because there were 1,622 tweets that day that's how many racists there are in the country, that's patently ridiculous.

That IS my point. The numbers are meaningless. It’s a pointless exercise to see if there are 2, 2K or 2M racist tweets, we all know it goes on so let’s put the resources into stopping it rather than quantifying whether it’s a problem or not.

signalspast

50/50 Sponsor
T.O Support
Aug 17, 2005
I wonder how many of the tweets were done under a vpn to stop any comeback on them for making the comment

Willis88

50/50 Sponsor
Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
I wonder how many of the tweets were done under a vpn to stop any comeback on them for making the comment
I imagine not many.

A lot of idiots who think their racist opinion should be shared with the world see it as a badge of honour that they've done this. A stance reinforced by their racist mates.

Plus takes a brain to think to use a VPN.

Nov 15, 2011
That IS my point. The numbers are meaningless. It’s a pointless exercise to see if there are 2, 2K or 2M racist tweets, we all know it goes on so let’s put the resources into stopping it rather than quantifying whether it’s a problem or not.
You can't stop it unless you know who's doing it , in what numbers and where, this is what this exercise has done.

Sep 25, 2010
The reaction, on the players taking the knee, was almost good, today with a lot of support clapping.

But of course, they were some numpties and idiots who boo’d.

Blimey , didn’t they hear the statement from the players thru the pitch announcer, before the game.

When, will some people get it.

Jul 29, 2010
Talk about confusing ‘statements’, their black left wing player stood tall all the way through the knee taking whilst their black right wing player took the knee and added a ‘black power salute’. 🤷‍♂️

Sep 25, 2010
Talk about confusing ‘statements’, their black left wing player stood tall all the way through the knee taking whilst their black right wing player took the knee and added a ‘black power salute’. 🤷‍♂️
How can that be confusing, players will make their own decisions

MickyD

Pasoti Donor
Dec 30, 2004
Brighton

A Republican senator (Josh Hawley) pictured on January 6th gesturing directly towards the insurrectionist mob:

iu

Colin Kaepernick:

iu

Maybe Josh Hawley isn't a shameless, opportunistic neofascist after all. Maybe he's a Black Power/BLM adherent.

How confusing for some of us! Maybe it's down to the precise angle of elbow bend?

In which case...

iu

iu

I'm just so confused now - so many mixed signals! How can I possibly be expected to decide for myself without making a fuss about it online? Josh, Boris - guidance, please!