• Welcome to PASOTI (Sponsored by GA Solictors and Lang & Potter)
  • Hello guests - don't forget that by registering and signing up for Pasoti you'll see less adverts plus receive extras like free match tickets, taking part in polls, joining in the chat room and more. Come and join us!

BLM, Taking a knee and THAT symbol of racism

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
Pasoti Donor
Sep 30, 2003
Charlton at home couple of seasons ago.
Loudly. Reported it. Gave statements at Charles Cross. Guy was still there a few weeks later.

And again very recently at half time when overhearing someone say 'they ought to bring darkie on', referring to one of our own players.
Well done, that is horrific. I don’t know whether people say stuff like that to try and be funny with their mates, but it really does need to be cut out! Was the person that said that about our player old or young out of interest?

Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Well done, that is horrific. I don’t know whether people say stuff like that to try and be funny with their mates, but it really does need to be cut out! Was the person that said that about our player old or young out of interest?

he wasnt trying to be funny in the Charlton example...the offensive words were shouted with some hatred

In the second example the offensive word was used by an older individual, which is in no way shape or form a justification.

Edited to add, coincidentally and not to get sidetracked but the police officer I made my report to at Charles Cross said there had also been a rise in reports of abuse directed at disabled people at the ground too, abhorrent also.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
Pasoti Donor
Sep 30, 2003
he wasnt trying to be funny in the Charlton example...the offensive words were shouted with some hatred

In the second example the offensive word was used by an older individual, which is in no way shape or form a justification
No I agree, I nearly said that but that should be taken for granted. An awful comment.

Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
No I agree, I nearly said that but that should be taken for granted. An awful comment.

The Charlton incident was heard by several people around me, only one of whom accompanied me to a steward.
Perhaps as worrying as the incident itself, was that despite being very audible, the reaction I was expecting didn't materialise and actually most people in the area looked completely at ease still.

Dec 27, 2004
Bidford on Avon
Edited to add, coincidentally and not to get sidetracked but the police officer I made my report to at Charles Cross said there had also been a rise in reports of abuse directed at disabled people at the ground too, abhorrent also.

This is a real sickener for me.

I'm not disabled, but the abuse directed towards disabled people is truly shameful.

Some of the older residents of the village were quite upset at the implication that they're scroungers, and many with chronic conditions that will not improve are constantly subjected to assessments.

A friend's brother has impaired learning and during his hone visit , without an appropriate adult said he did all sorts he quite obviously is not capable of.

Outcome- he lost his benefits and despite numerous appeals supported by medical professionals, never git them back.

The whole culture of demonising those on benefits has been truly abhorrent.

Has it changed .... UC top up cut. Obviously not 😔

Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
This is a real sickener for me.

I'm not disabled, but the abuse directed towards disabled people is truly shameful.

Some of the older residents of the village were quite upset at the implication that they're scroungers, and many with chronic conditions that will not improve are constantly subjected to assessments.

A friend's brother has impaired learning and during his hone visit , without an appropriate adult said he did all sorts he quite obviously is not capable of.

Outcome- he lost his benefits and despite numerous appeals supported by medical professionals, never git them back.

The whole culture of demonising those on benefits has been truly abhorrent.

Has it changed .... UC top up cut. Obviously not 😔

As with racism, I believe people are not born with these predjudices inbuilt. I believe that they are learnt, or more accurately taught...
A 'fear of the other' is fostered and then used as an extremely powerful tool by those who to whom it is an advantage, to convince people that their problems, far from being the fault of poor or even exploitative governance, are actually the fault of people who are different in some characteristic.
Demonising is as good a word as any, and it has been utterly rife over the last decade.

Reactions: Pilgrim Joe
Sep 2, 2008
View attachment 147You can not say that taking the knee had nothing to do with BLM in the US. It did to start with despite what you say.

People like yourself and metoo are doing far more damage to race relations with your ‘my view is the only correct view’ when you have both tried in this thread to put words in to my mouth which are completely the opposite to what I actually think.

For clarity - I was at Wembley and clapped when the players of both teams took the knee. I did this because I am proud of them and how they genuinely seem like they take their social responsibility seriously. I do though have the opinion that far more needs to happen than taking the knee to sort out an issue with a very small % of people and I’m not convinced it’s worked as others have said.
I’m gonna have a guess here and say that the person you’re referring to as ‘yourself’ is TMKF. He always does that and will also insinuate that you’re a racist if you post an alternative view to his. He is so far up his own backside even world renowned contortionists applaud him. Just block him like I have. Debate is so much better when he isn’t a part of it.

Nov 15, 2011
I’m gonna have a guess here and say that the person you’re referring to as ‘yourself’ is TMKF. He always does that and will also insinuate that you’re a racist if you post an alternative view to his. He is so far up his own backside even world renowned contortionists applaud him. Just block him like I have. Debate is so much better when he isn’t a part of it.
Hi Potty, how’s your free speech crusade going? Take a chill pill honey 😉

Sep 6, 2006
Absolutely spot on. I have family members who are teachers, so I’m only too aware of the hours and commitment they put into the job. It makes it doubly frustrating then when society’s ills are placed at their door, with the assumption that better teaching would solve these problems.
Nah its not about the teaching. Its the system. So exam obsessed rather than life skills. As mentioned above very difficult to go against parents attitudes. Where else can it be done if not at school?

Sep 6, 2006
People won’t believe that the world is spherical and we went to the moon. Why would anyone believe something because Gareth Southgate says so?

People may have stopped booing the knee, but I suspect that they are keeping quiet because they don’t want a football ban rather than have their attitude changed.
It doesn't matter if people boo it.There will always be a small minority of complete idiots who are beyond hope. Its about getting the message across to everybody else who may not be fully aware or understand the issues a few of whom appear to be on here.

Sep 6, 2006
When was the last time racism was experienced at Home Park ? I've not personally heard any since that Burnley game the best part of two generations ago.

The only other racist comments I've heard at a football game I've been involved in since then were directed at me.

The 37+ pages of this thread prove it's not been a success in ending racism away from the Stadium. The only gain is the mileage some have squeezed out of the subject.

Edited to add: The generation of Kids going to their first games will be of the one that fully understands racism and the most likely to not act or think in such a way.

Their Euro hero and Captain Harry Kane however, is currently demonstrating it's ok to not honour your commitments to an employer and throwing a selfish strop will get you what you want.
What has Kane got to do with anything?

May 16, 2016
What has Kane got to do with anything?
Attitude. Kids learn from their football heroes. They can be more non racist than any previous generation but without any sense of responsibility or ability to fulfil commitments without sulking off, the future holds little hope.

Nice to see you getting back to speed though. Soon be match fit.

Aug 15, 2015
Premier League Statement today:

"Players from all 20 Premier League clubs will continue to take the knee before matches this season to highlight their opposition to racism." The Premier League say they "support wholeheartedly" the decision that has been made.
A 'No Room For Racism' sleeve badge will also be worn by players and match officials on their shirts.

The message cannot be clearer.

I see 34 UK based people have been targeted by the police for arrest following comments of presumably a racist nature, after the Euro's loss. That's 34 out of a population of at least 66 million, most of whom can access the internet if they want/need. Let's do the Maths, 34/66mn = The number is so low I can't even type it out. Ye, huge issue racism, huge *rolls eyes*.

Last edited: