• Welcome to PASOTI (Sponsored by GA Solictors and Lang & Potter)

BLM, Taking a knee and THAT symbol of racism

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
Pasoti Donor
Sep 30, 2003
I admire your optimism. No matter how many times they say it’s an anti racist gesture (which I’ve no doubt for them it now is), people will still link it to BLM because of the past couple of years and what it’s stood for.

Normal people who are not racist though, will at some point, start to get annoyed with being told twice a week by footballers to ‘stop being racist’. To solve any issue like this it needs to start at school so kids grow up understanding the consequences of sending monkey emojis to black players. 99.9% of people that attend games the first weekend will not have done it and I think they won’t enjoy the gesture from people that they feel are “over paid”, “underperforming” and “disloyal” players once they start losing a few games.

Nov 15, 2011
I admire your optimism. No matter how many times they say it’s an anti racist gesture (which I’ve no doubt for them it now is), people will still link it to BLM because of the past couple of years and what it’s stood for.

Normal people who are not racist though, will at some point, start to get annoyed with being told twice a week by footballers to ‘stop being racist’. To solve any issue like this it needs to start at school so kids grow up understanding the consequences of sending monkey emojis to black players. 99.9% of people that attend games the first weekend will not have done it and I think they won’t enjoy the gesture from people that they feel are “over paid”, “underperforming” and “disloyal” players once they start losing a few games.
Yes I am an optimist. I think most people know that what BLM stands for is 99% good and the political nonsense in the US from a few trouble makers has nothing to do with the players message, the connection that’s only whipped up by racists like Farage. You don’t write off all football fans just cos there’s a few hooligans.

I also think most football fans realise they’re not being told not to be racist, players showing their solidarity isn’t the same thing at all. And actually most fans who aren’t racist know that.

And I definitely don’t think fans will think oh we’ve lost against fleetwood let’s upset our black players by booing their fight against racism.

so yes I’m an optimist

Reactions: metroace
Sep 6, 2006

What a load of nonsense! The only thing you get right is re education but its clear that our schools for whatever reason cant/don't equip people to behave in an appropriate manner.

signalspast

50/50 Sponsor
Aug 17, 2005
And in the mean time the Premier league is silently but subtly moving away from the divisive BLM and creating there own statement with the badge with the statement No room for racism

Last edited:

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
Pasoti Donor
Sep 30, 2003
And in the mean time the Premier league is silently but subtly moving away from the decisive BLM and creating there own statement with the badge with the statement No room for racism
Which is exactly what they should do.

Reactions: GreenThing

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
Pasoti Donor
Sep 30, 2003
What a load of nonsense! The only thing you get right is re education but its clear that our schools for whatever reason cant/don't equip people to behave in an appropriate manner.
We’ll see if it’s nonsense up and down the country over the next few weeks.

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
Kate Sponsor
Lowey Sponsor
NHS Volunteer Supporter
Pasoti Donor
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
its clear that our schools for whatever reason cant/don't equip people to behave in an appropriate manner.
Schools can only try to educate and insist on appropriate behaviour and attitudes whilst in school. It is what a youngster learns from their home life and their peers which is more likely to influence how they think and behave.
If your parents are casually or deliberately racist in their daily lives, and so are your friends families, then you are going to grow up thinking it to be the norm and until you start thinking for yourself you will accept that attitude and learn not to display it in front of teachers. Some will never think for themselves and will perpetuate the attitude of the previous generation, some will realise how wrong their upbringing has been and will teach the next generation to be better people.
I was brought up to not even consider someone else's race or creed. (It was more than that - my parents treated everybody the same so I grew up with no concept of difference) At the age of 10 we moved to Scotland where I came across sectarianism and racism for the first time. Until that point I had not known if anybody I knew was Roman Catholic and I had no conception of outright hatred for those of a different (read sub-continental) background, even less for the hatred amongst a majority for the English.
Not booing taking the knee will hopefully become the norm, but it may well be for a minority the same as not displaying their real attitude in front of the teacher.

(I've rambled on but I'm not sure how well I've made my point)

Reactions: Lundan Cabbie
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
And in the mean time the Premier league is silently but subtly moving away from the divisive BLM and creating there own statement with the badge with the statement No room for racism

That was originally launched back in 2019 - the only movement which was sidelined at that time, IIR, was the Kick It Out campaign.

In other news, all Premier League teams have announced they will all take the knee in games for this season, including Brentford (who had said before that they wouldn't).

Schools can only try to educate and insist on appropriate behaviour and attitudes whilst in school. It is what a youngster learns from their home life and their peers which is more likely to influence how they think and behave.
If your parents are casually or deliberately racist in their daily lives, and so are your friends families, then you are going to grow up thinking it to be the norm and until you start thinking for yourself you will accept that attitude and learn not to display it in front of teachers. Some will never think for themselves and will perpetuate the attitude of the previous generation, some will realise how wrong their upbringing has been and will teach the next generation to be better people.
I was brought up to not even consider someone else's race or creed. (It was more than that - my parents treated everybody the same so I grew up with no concept of difference) At the age of 10 we moved to Scotland where I came across sectarianism and racism for the first time. Until that point I had not known if anybody I knew was Roman Catholic and I had no conception of outright hatred for those of a different (read sub-continental) background, even less for the hatred amongst a majority for the English.
Not booing taking the knee will hopefully become the norm, but it may well be for a minority the same as not displaying their real attitude in front of the teacher.

(I've rambled on but I'm not sure how well I've made my point)
Absolutely spot on. I have family members who are teachers, so I’m only too aware of the hours and commitment they put into the job. It makes it doubly frustrating then when society’s ills are placed at their door, with the assumption that better teaching would solve these problems.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
Pasoti Donor
Sep 30, 2003
Why would anyone boo the knee now you've acknowledged the link with BLM is no longer there?
Just because I believe the players, that doesn’t mean everyone else will disassociate the 2.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
Pasoti Donor
Sep 30, 2003
So you still reckon people will think Danny Mayor is a Marxist and Coops wants to defund the police?
No, but I do think that people will associate taking the knee with black Lives matter. The two were linked for so long last season that people won’t just switch off to it.

Nov 15, 2011
Well I'm an optimist and think everyone will believe the Premier League, EFL and our footballers that it's purely an anti racism message. There may be a few idiots who get whipped up by the usual suspects but I reckon they'll soon be shamed into silence. We'll see.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
Lowey Sponsor
NHS Volunteer Supporter
Pasoti Donor
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
People won’t believe that the world is spherical and we went to the moon. Why would anyone believe something because Gareth Southgate says so?

People may have stopped booing the knee, but I suspect that they are keeping quiet because they don’t want a football ban rather than have their attitude changed.

Nov 15, 2011
I think the overwhelming number of supporters will believe Southgate, the Premier League, EFL and our footballers, when they say they're not a bunch of Marxists.

I don't think you can put everyone in one basket. There will be those who realise their booing was misplaced as there's no marxist agenda, those who just did it to get attention and now realise its not appropriate, and a small minority who still have the hate but are shamed into silence.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
Pasoti Donor
Sep 30, 2003
So are you saying that the players should stop because some racists disagree?
Why are you trying to put words in my mouth? At no point have I said they shouldn’t do it. Behave ffs.

May 16, 2016
Considering the fact that since taking the knee, reports of online racism have increased and now Premier League have announced (and explained its disassociation with the 'other' BLM) that they intend to continue next season, is it fair to wonder if as campaigns go, taking the knee has a been a bit of a failure so far?

Here we are a year (?) later, still discussing the gesture and its perceived rights or wrongs rather than how or what progress has been made in actually fighting racism.

I don't believe there will be too much, if any, of a negative response in the stadia. The majority of football supporters are not racist so the knee is not going to considered as aimed at them by those attending a game. The naturally racist out there, will or do not attend games anyway, but will still be somewhere on their keyboards.

Nov 15, 2011
Well I think its been a massive success. Not only did the booing reduce to practically nothing by the end of the Euros, but as we can see eg from these 37 pages and media coverage, its kept the anti racism message in the news. That's the whole point of the gesture. And those abusing players eg online have been called out and isolated.

Yes there's been the distractors trying to pretend its something to do with Marxism for reasons still not apparent but that seems to be behind us now.

The value of its ongoing message I see by imagining parents taking their kids to Argyle for the first time. The kids ask about the players taking the knee and parents explain the no to racism message. If the players become heroes to the kids then that's a message they're likely to take home.