• Welcome to PASOTI (Sponsored by GA Solictors and Lang & Potter)
  • Hello guests - don't forget that by registering and signing up for Pasoti you'll see less adverts plus receive extras like free match tickets, taking part in polls, joining in the chat room and more. Come and join us!

BLM, Taking a knee and THAT symbol of racism

Sep 25, 2010
themightykeithfear":1o10k1qn said:
Pottypilgrim":1o10k1qn said:
I see Laurence Fox has jumped on the booing bandwagon saying, 'Millionaire woke babies protesting inequality on two hundred grand a week'.

Also, calling the players a, 'pathetic bunch of virtue signalling morons'. (Think there's a few of them on this thread)

Does he have a point? :think:

Racists would think he has a point. They would also be thick enough to think just because you are well paid you can't support equality for black people.

As I've said before woke = aware, anti woke = pro ignorance.

The infantile name calling distracts though from the obvious question your posts suggest. Why do you quote and promote the views of racist apologists and sympathisers? If you agree with them at least have the guts to say so, This is an opinions forum for people to give their opinions, not to hide behind others because you are not man enough to tell us what you really think. What's your opinion?

It is wrong to be abused on social media, booed, etc, doesn’t matter how much you earn each week, whether you are a footballer, American footballer, or a normal everyday worker.

Nov 15, 2011
Potty still doesn't think that well paid footballers can believe in racial equality. That's just plain ignorance.

Zaha doesn't boo players taking the knee.

Sep 2, 2008
Martyn":2felws4f said:
themightykeithfear":2felws4f said:
Pottypilgrim":2felws4f said:
I see Laurence Fox has jumped on the booing bandwagon saying, 'Millionaire woke babies protesting inequality on two hundred grand a week'.

Also, calling the players a, 'pathetic bunch of virtue signalling morons'. (Think there's a few of them on this thread)

Does he have a point? :think:

Racists would think he has a point. They would also be thick enough to think just because you are well paid you can't support equality for black people.

As I've said before woke = aware, anti woke = pro ignorance.

The infantile name calling distracts though from the obvious question your posts suggest. Why do you quote and promote the views of racist apologists and sympathisers? If you agree with them at least have the guts to say so, This is an opinions forum for people to give their opinions, not to hide behind others because you are not man enough to tell us what you really think. What's your opinion?

It is wrong to be abused on social media, booed, etc, doesn’t matter how much you earn each week, whether you are a footballer, American footballer, or a normal everyday worker.

I agree 100% Martyn. I was just pointing out what I believed was a bit of an oxymoron - 'protesting inequality on two hundred grand a week'.

Nov 15, 2011
So potty explain to us your thought process as to why black footballers who have been subject to racism can’t fight racial inequality (that’s what the knee is about) because they’re earning a decent wage?

I mean in reality we know it’s another pathetic nonsensical attempt to attack black footballers fighting racism because black footballers fighting racism makes certain people furious.

Sep 2, 2008
Martyn":1eepesv5 said:
Pottypilgrim":1eepesv5 said:
Martyn":1eepesv5 said:
Ave_IT":1eepesv5 said:
When the players, manager, commentators and everyone involved says over-and-over-and-over that 'taking a knee' (that pre-dates BLM) is simply an anti-racist gesture then.....well....what's the F***ing problem?

Lame-brained wittering about foreign Marxist movements....politics and sport... blah blah .....as being a reason you don't agree with it is quite up to you. Some people don't like playing of national anthems or wearing of poppies (remember the fuss a few years back about poppies on shirts?) - all for similar reasons.

But if you don't agree with other people's choices - you don't have to join in you can just let them 'do their thing' respectfully. But booing is a confrontational act to show you object strongly - and directly shows you either do not believe what the players, manager etc. are saying - so calling them liars - or you strongly don't agree with them......and if you are aren't anti-racist then what are you? There is only one alternative.

It is an embarrassing disgrace. No excuse.

As usual, Ave_IT you explain so well.

But no-one knows why they are booing. You asked the question yourself Martyn, 'Why are they booing?'.

No one knows but a couple of enlightened people think they do know and have taken off on this crusade after assuming they are right. Even Southgate isn't sure. So to label people racist based on what you think you know is moronic in the least :doh:

I have repeatedly asked for somebody to come on here, and say why they boo.

Here you go Martyn. I was just reading the news and noticed that the beeb have asked the question for you https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-57382945

Between you and me, I actually think the guy interviewed is really a racist. He must be mustn't he?

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Pottypilgrim":1a536jgc said:
Here you go Martyn. I was just reading the news and noticed that the beeb have asked the question for you https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-57382945

Between you and me, I actually think the guy interviewed is really a racist. He must be mustn't he?
I'll try one more time....

The players, manager, football authorities etc. have ALL repeatedly explained the gesture is simply an anti-racist message (because, you know, racism is a thing right?). Now it is quite legitimate to query if 'taking a knee' is an appropriate or effective means to convey that message. OK. What is NOT acceptable is to actually oppose the message itself - and booing is a boorish and confrontational act that cannot be interpreted in any other way.

How can it be? How can anybody actually claim to agree with a sentiment but disagree sooo strongly with the way it's conveyed as to behave like that? It beggars belief. Those pea brained prats quoted in that link are clearly scratching around for excuses to justify their wilful ignorance. Maybe some of them don't even admit to themselves why they feel that way because frankly it reeks of the "I've got nothing against blacks but...." mentality (substitute 'blacks' with any racial or social minority they feel uncomfortable around ).

There is no excuse.

Willis88

50/50 Sponsor
Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
This thread has just become completely unbelievable.

If booing taking the knee is to support Laurence Fox's stance then I'm going to walk to the gangway and take the knee myself, sod it I'll do it the entire match.

Nov 15, 2011
Tbf potty knows how ridiculous his/ the arguments on the BBC site are. They are repeating the nonsense about the manager and players being secret Marxists and the agony of not having to look at something for 10 seconds making people furious.

When you dig yourself into a hole like that you start lying to yourself and just keep digging as to admit the truth is just too humiliating.

The funny thing about those abusing the knee is that they are the loudest voices against woke cancel culture. And I recall someone starting a thread on freedom of speech and crying cos his hero Trump had his taken away. These are the same people booing the footballers for exercising their freedom of speech!

And yes I know trump actually hadn’t had his freedom of speech taken away and that the person didn’t even understand what the theme of his own thread meant and actually it was trump who had attempted to close down other people’s freedom of speech on many occasions, but hey whatever

Sep 2, 2008
Ave_IT":3ly13rgk said:
Pottypilgrim":3ly13rgk said:

The players, manager, football authorities etc. have ALL repeatedly explained the gesture is simply an anti-racist message (because, you know, racism is a thing right?). Now it is quite legitimate to query if 'taking a knee' is an appropriate or effective means to convey that message. OK. What is NOT acceptable is to actually oppose the message itself - and booing is a boorish and confrontational act that cannot be interpreted in any other way.

How can it be? How can anybody actually claim to agree with a sentiment but disagree sooo strongly with the way it's conveyed as to behave like that? It beggars belief. Those pea brained prats quoted in that link are clearly scratching around for excuses to justify their wilful ignorance. Maybe some of them don't even admit to themselves why they feel that way because frankly it reeks of the "I've got nothing against blacks but...." mentality (substitute 'blacks' with any racial or social minority they feel uncomfortable around ).

There is no excuse.

In the spirit of enlightenment I'll also try one more time....

Not once have I suggested that booing is acceptable and not once have I questioned the reasons why the players are taking the knee.

The question was asked, 'why are they booing?' The answer to that is no-one really knows, not you and not Martyn and yet some people still feel they are right in calling the people that boo racist simply because they are making that noise in response to a message the players are trying to send.

As you correctly point out, racism is a thing and to be labelling someone a racist is a serious accusation to make. You yourself have slightly shifted your stance now and have steered slightly away from calling these people outright racist and are now leaning more towards them being wilfully ignorant which tbf is probably a far more accurate description of what they are.

In fact, you could call the people that boo a number of different things, idiots, ignorant, rude, unselfish, insensitive etc, etc but I cannot understand how you can call them racist when you don't even know them or why they are actually booing. For you to label them as racist simply when they boo, irrespective of what they are booing against, says a lot more about you then it does them.

Even the pundits, the players and Southgate are not calling these people racist and yet you and your like think they are.

Jeez, even when you read a report from someone explaining why he boos you still see him as a racist and pass his reasons off as someone 'scratching around for excuses'. You have already made up your mind and this is why you and your like are the real problem.

Frank Butcher

Foodbank Donor
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
A ridiculous amount of time and space spent on an entirely tokenistic gesture and the response of a minority thereof. If players, or any group, want to demonstrate unity and solidarity for any anti-discriminatory cause then I say fill your boots. I would never boo, and I'm more likely to applaud, but it won't change diddly squat. Nor will telling people what to think or do as is the want of some on here. People do not respond to that kind of 'education'. I've said on several occasions that as John Barnes so rightly cited, telling a racist not to say racist things will not stop that person having racist tendencies.

So I say rather than spend column inches, airtime and forum posts debating a gesture, wouldn't it be much more interesting if we could debate the foundations of racism (and other forms of discrimination) openly and without reproach (or insinuation)? Where are its origins - in poverty, elitism, disenfranchisement, resentment, ignorance, parenting etc etc?

Then we might actuallty start making a tangible difference.

Nov 15, 2011
No one is telling anyone what to think or do Frank, you know that , they’re just asking you not to boo it. I hear this victimhood nonsense all the time.

I was at the England v Russia game in Marseille at the last Euros and it was one of the most depressing days of my life.

Up to half the “fans” were unashamedly racist in the songs around and in the stadium, the anger and hatred was visceral. The guy next to me got his 10/11 year old son bare chested to join in , another guy got thumped for not singing the National anthem.

England for whatever reason attracts the lowest of lowlife, the cream of the scum.

That’s why it’s brilliant to hear the players continuing to take the knee, and many of the lowlife saying they won’t follow England.

Which shows what they really are, patriotic people don’t boo their own team before they’ve kicked a ball.

Sep 25, 2010
Pottypilgrim":2xyceiwq said:
Ave_IT":2xyceiwq said:
Pottypilgrim":2xyceiwq said:

There is no excuse.

In the spirit of enlightenment I'll also try one more time....

Not once have I suggested that booing is acceptable and not once have I questioned the reasons why the players are taking the knee.

The question was asked, 'why are they booing?' The answer to that is no-one really knows, not you and not Martyn and yet some people still feel they are right in calling the people that boo racist simply because they are making that noise in response to a message the players are trying to send.

As you correctly point out, racism is a thing and to be labelling someone a racist is a serious accusation to make. You yourself have slightly shifted your stance now and have steered slightly away from calling these people outright racist and are now leaning more towards them being wilfully ignorant which tbf is probably a far more accurate description of what they are.

In fact, you could call the people that boo a number of different things, idiots, ignorant, rude, unselfish, insensitive etc, etc but I cannot understand how you can call them racist when you don't even know them or why they are actually booing. For you to label them as racist simply when they boo, irrespective of what they are booing against, says a lot more about you then it does them.

Even the pundits, the players and Southgate are not calling these people racist and yet you and your like think they are.

Jeez, even when you read a report from someone explaining why he boos you still see him as a racist and pass his reasons off as someone 'scratching around for excuses'. You have already made up your mind and this is why you and your like are the real problem.

Again, you do not understand what I am asking.

It is a ‘taking the knee’, thread.
It is regarded as an Anti-racism ACT.

Therefore the question is, why DO you boo against an Anti-racism ACT. It is a simple question to ask them, why do they boo. Let’s hear their answers,

Now to say that we are the problem (your words above), doesn’t solve the issue.

Frank Butcher

Foodbank Donor
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
themightykeithfear":1azl2qab said:
No one is telling anyone what to think or do Frank, you know that , they’re just asking you not to boo it.

Ah very good. There you go again with your nasty insinuations :doh: . You need to grow up and learn to read.

And FWIW tmkf, your posts absolutely portray you as someone who loves to tell people what to think or do. You have no concept of the art of debate, only how to tell it from the world of tmkf. I compare that to the debates I've had on here in over a decade with many who's opinions differ - Quinny, Ave_IT, MickyD more recently and many others before them. On several occasions I've been persuaded, and who knows maybe they have too - at least once or twice. But that's impossible with you, you only have one pole and that little bit of spite that isn't nice.

Nov 15, 2011
Frank I don’t tell anyone what to think or do , can you provide one example? No you can’t. I just give my opinion, it’s an opinion forum. Don’t be such a snowflake.

Jul 12, 2016
Frank_Butcher":1u02uvxc said:
A ridiculous amount of time and space spent on an entirely tokenistic gesture and the response of a minority thereof. If players, or any group, want to demonstrate unity and solidarity for any anti-discriminatory cause then I say fill your boots. I would never boo, and I'm more likely to applaud, but it won't change diddly squat. Nor will telling people what to think or do as is the want of some on here. People do not respond to that kind of 'education'. I've said on several occasions that as John Barnes so rightly cited, telling a racist not to say racist things will not stop that person having racist tendencies.

So I say rather than spend column inches, airtime and forum posts debating a gesture, wouldn't it be much more interesting if we could debate the foundations of racism (and other forms of discrimination) openly and without reproach (or insinuation)? Where are its origins - in poverty, elitism, disenfranchisement, resentment, ignorance, parenting etc etc?

Then we might actuallty start making a tangible difference.
Well said.