• Welcome to PASOTI (Sponsored by GA Solictors and Lang & Potter)
  • Hello guests - don't forget that by registering and signing up for Pasoti you'll see less adverts plus receive extras like free match tickets, taking part in polls, joining in the chat room and more. Come and join us!

BLM, Taking a knee and THAT symbol of racism

Sep 25, 2010
oldage":1e0y6i6k said:
Are you for real .Of course white footballers get abused for missing open goals . Fans react to the mistakes players make regardless of their race.

Really, will they get countless vile, abuse racist quotes on social media, will they get booed for 10 secs before each game.

Will their families get abused when they walk down the street.

Really.

Nov 15, 2011
All players get booed / abused when they don't perform on the pitch, that's one thing. It is in no way comparable to the disgusting systematic racist abuse Sterling Rashford and other black players have been subject to online.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Pottypilgrim":1l1x8drd said:
Guiri Green":1l1x8drd said:
themightykeithfear":1l1x8drd said:
Guiri Green":1l1x8drd said:
oldage":1l1x8drd said:
In my view the gesture has run it's course and is losing it's impact. Time to move on.

The messaging has overshadowed the message.

Only for people who don't like or don't want to see the message.

But where are the discussions on racism ? The discussions are about taking the knee. Nobody talks about how we fight it, just the kneeling.

Telling racists they are racist won't change them. Inferring people who aren't, that they are only infuriates them.

You're wasting your time GG.

You can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink.
As per usual Potty you're completely missing the point and not reading what is written.

But GG actually makes a very valid point here (if sightly exaggerated IMO). As I understand it what GG says is the very reason that Wilf Zaha stopped taking the knee. It is a perfectly coherent criticism of the action to argue that it becomes all about the act itself and so actually ends up detracting from the important issue of racism i.e. people then argue about taking the knee rather than discussing the core issue (just like we are). You can indeed be against taking a knee before a football match without being a brain-dead racist - in exactly the same way you may not agree with wearing poppy without being a unpatriotic traitor who disrespects those who gave their lives.

But the fundamental difference is Zaha stands in quiet respect. He doesn't yell or boo at those who hold a different view because he understands that the intentions of those who are doing it are very well meant and genuine. In exactly the same way you might personally decide not to wear a poppy - but yelling or booing at people who do would be utterly disgraceful. There is no excuse.

Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
oldage":yvunkk91 said:
Are you for real .Of course white footballers get abused for missing open goals . Fans react to the mistakes players make regardless of their race.

I agree: white players do get abuse. But there's a world of difference in an arm-chair "fan" calling, say, Harry Kane a "useless f**king c**t" for missing an open goal on Twitter to another calling, say, Marcus Rashford a "useless f**king n*gg*r" for exactly the same infringement. I'm sure most black players would most welcome the same level of abuse that their white team-mates would get.

It probably explains why gay footballers (and, let's admit it, a sizeable percentage of professional footballers will be gay) are so reluctant to come out. Why should they when they see the level of abuse black players get?

Sep 2, 2008
Quinny":2kqa38sc said:
oldage":2kqa38sc said:

I agree: white players do get abuse. But there's a world of difference in an arm-chair "fan" calling, say, Harry Kane a "useless f**king c**t" for missing an open goal on Twitter to another calling, say, Marcus Rashford a "useless f**king n*gg*r" for exactly the same infringement. I'm sure most black players would most welcome the same level of abuse that their white team-mates would get.

It probably explains why gay footballers (and, let's admit it, a sizeable percentage of professional footballers will be gay) are so reluctant to come out. Why should they when they see the level of abuse black players get?

Who is to say which is worse? To some black people the 'n' word is not offensive. To most people, black and white, the 'c' word is.

Some black people even use the 'n' word as part of their normal vocabulary. Kevin Hart even uses it regularly in is comedy sets of which a large part of his audience are black and they always seem to be laughing. So I'm not sure a white person (assuming you are), is the best judge of whether the 'n' word is offensive or not. Kevin Hart, for example, has demonstrated that can only be determined on an individual basis.

It only seems to be seen as a racist term if a white person uses it or hears it :think:

I know it's off topic a bit but this inconsistent messaging doesn't help in the education of people either.

Nov 15, 2011
Pottypilgrim":oi9zmp7s said:
Quinny":oi9zmp7s said:
oldage":oi9zmp7s said:

Who is to say which is worse? To some black people the 'n' word is not offensive. To most people, black and white, the 'c' word is.

Some black people even use the 'n' word as part of their normal vocabulary. Kevin Hart even uses it regularly in is comedy sets of which a large part of his audience are black and they always seem to be laughing. So I'm not sure a white person (assuming you are), is the best judge of whether the 'n' word is offensive or not. Kevin Hart, for example, has demonstrated that can only be determined on an individual basis.

It only seems to be seen as a racist term if a white person uses it or hears it :think:

I know it's off topic a bit but this inconsistent messaging doesn't help in the education of people either.

UN-BE-LIEVABLE and people wonder why our footballers are still taking the knee. Simply lost for words.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
themightykeithfear":rrtht4r7 said:
Pottypilgrim":rrtht4r7 said:
Quinny":rrtht4r7 said:
oldage":rrtht4r7 said:

UN-BE-LIEVABLE and people wonder why our footballers are still taking the knee. Simply lost for words.
I know - simply gob-smacking amazing isn't it ??...... I started to write him an explanation ..... but :facepalm:

Nov 15, 2011
I hope Potty's shameful ignorance didn't offend anyone, this is the Collins Dictionary definition of the word :

"The term n..... is now probably the most offensive word in English. Its degree of offensiveness has increased markedly in recent years, although it has been used in a derogatory manner since at least the Revolutionary War. Definitions 1a, 1b, and 2 all represent meanings that are deeply disparaging and are used when the speaker deliberately wishes to cause great offense."

To be clear Potty is not sure if the most deliberately offensive word in the English language is offensive. If the discussion on the knee has brought about the education of just one person I suppose it's worth it.

Sep 25, 2010
Just mentioned on Sky, that a sky reporter has been speaking to a top FA representative.

Stating that Southgate and the team, have spoken at length about taking the knee, and why they will continue to do so.

So the FA, will regard any further booing by so-called fans , as an act of racism.

OK Potty.

Sep 2, 2008
I see Laurence Fox has jumped on the booing bandwagon saying, 'Millionaire woke babies protesting inequality on two hundred grand a week'.

Also, calling the players a, 'pathetic bunch of virtue signalling morons'. (Think there's a few of them on this thread)

Does he have a point? :think:

Sep 2, 2008
Martyn":2t2sjnbw said:
Just mentioned on Sky, that a sky reporter has been speaking to a top FA representative.

Stating that Southgate and the team, have spoken at length about taking the knee, and why they will continue to do so.

So the FA, will regard any further booing by so-called fans , as an act of racism.

OK Potty.

That's OK then. So the FA obviously know why those people boo. Cool. :roll:

Sep 25, 2010
Pottypilgrim":a0v2crwt said:
I see Laurence Fox has jumped on the booing bandwagon saying, 'Millionaire woke babies protesting inequality on two hundred grand a week'.

Also, calling the players a, 'pathetic bunch of virtue signalling morons'. (Think there's a few of them on this thread)

My god, if you have to quote Laurence Fox, for help, then you are scrapping the barrel.

Did you see him on ‘Question Time’.

Nov 15, 2011
Pottypilgrim":20gta1j3 said:

Racists would think he has a point. They would also be thick enough to think just because you are well paid you can't support equality for black people.

As I've said before woke = aware, anti woke = pro ignorance.

The infantile name calling distracts though from the obvious question your posts suggest. Why do you quote and promote the views of racist apologists and sympathisers? If you agree with them at least have the guts to say so, This is an opinions forum for people to give their opinions, not to hide behind others because you are not man enough to tell us what you really think. What's your opinion?

Sep 2, 2008
Martyn":9oirszbz said:
Pottypilgrim":9oirszbz said:

My god, if you have to quote Laurence Fox, for help, then you are scrapping the barrel.

Did you see him on ‘Question Time’.

I wasn't quoting him for 'help'. Believe me, I can look after myself.

I was just introducing another perspective and asking the question.

Don't you think his comment about 'protesting inequality on two hundred grand a week' is a valid one?

Regarding this whole taking a knee thing; from my perspective, I align myself to Wilfried Zaha. Imo, he is taking the correct stance.

Just in case you've forgotten, here is what Zaha says about taking the knee; "I've said before that I feel like taking the knee is degrading and stuff because growing up my parents just let me know that I should be proud to be black no matter what and I feel like we should just stand tall. The highlighted bit says it all for me. He should be proud and he should stand tall and I for one, think he is a shining example amongst the débacle this taking the knee has become.