• Welcome to PASOTI (Sponsored by GA Solictors and Lang & Potter)
  • Hello guests - don't forget that by registering and signing up for Pasoti you'll see less adverts plus receive extras like free match tickets, taking part in polls, joining in the chat room and more. Come and join us!

BLM, Taking a knee and THAT symbol of racism

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
Schuey Sponsor
NHS Volunteer Supporter
Pasoti Donor
Foodbank Donor
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Just offering a view of why people might boo. If you think that blaming all white peoples for racism doesn’t happen you are being naive, do you remember the woman who slagged off white people and the said that her comments cannot be racist because she’s black? It’s that sort of thing that I think the booing is aimed at.

Jul 12, 2016
In my view the gesture has run it's course and is losing it's impact. Time to move on.

Nov 15, 2011
I have no idea about the case you are referring to , and it goes without saying that racism by anyone at anytime is wrong.

However for white middle aged men to claim they are somehow a victim is disingenuous nonsense.

Middle aged white men don't get regularly abused online because of their colour, or stopped and searched time and again, especially if they have a nice car, or looked over for jobs when interviewers see the colour of their skin, or in a thousand other ways. The white middle aged man just isn't a victim in the same way.

Nov 15, 2011
oldage":rzt47u5m said:
In my view the gesture has run it's course and is losing it's impact. Time to move on.

The people who are the victims of racism will decide when its the time to move on, and the booing show we're not there yet.

Sep 25, 2010
Pottypilgrim":24afnyr1 said:
Martyn":24afnyr1 said:
Ave_IT":24afnyr1 said:
When the players, manager, commentators and everyone involved says over-and-over-and-over that 'taking a knee' (that pre-dates BLM) is simply an anti-racist gesture then.....well....what's the F***ing problem?

Lame-brained wittering about foreign Marxist movements....politics and sport... blah blah .....as being a reason you don't agree with it is quite up to you. Some people don't like playing of national anthems or wearing of poppies (remember the fuss a few years back about poppies on shirts?) - all for similar reasons.

But if you don't agree with other people's choices - you don't have to join in you can just let them 'do their thing' respectfully. But booing is a confrontational act to show you object strongly - and directly shows you either do not believe what the players, manager etc. are saying - so calling them liars - or you strongly don't agree with them......and if you are aren't anti-racist then what are you? There is only one alternative.

It is an embarrassing disgrace. No excuse.

As usual, Ave_IT you explain so well.

But no-one knows why they are booing. You asked the question yourself Martyn, 'Why are they booing?'.

No one knows but a couple of enlightened people think they do know and have taken off on this crusade after assuming they are right. Even Southgate isn't sure. So to label people racist based on what you think you know is moronic in the least :doh:

I have repeatedly asked for somebody to come on here, and say why they boo.

Nov 15, 2011
Actually when you think about it the players are doing a brilliant job with the message. The message is about inequality and intolerance and when they are expressing the message they are being booed by their own fans illustrating the intolerance and lack of respect for the message. And everybody's talking about it, even the people who think it isn't working.

The boys are playing a blinder off the pitch, if not so much on it!

May 16, 2016
themightykeithfear":3lhgvboz said:
Guiri Green":3lhgvboz said:
oldage":3lhgvboz said:

The messaging has overshadowed the message.

Only for people who don't like or don't want to see the message.

But where are the discussions on racism ? The discussions are about taking the knee. Nobody talks about how we fight it, just the kneeling.

Telling racists they are racist won't change them. Inferring people who aren't, that they are only infuriates them.

Sep 2, 2008
Guiri Green":34spnfet said:
themightykeithfear":34spnfet said:
Guiri Green":34spnfet said:
oldage":34spnfet said:

The messaging has overshadowed the message.

Only for people who don't like or don't want to see the message.

But where are the discussions on racism ? The discussions are about taking the knee. Nobody talks about how we fight it, just the kneeling.

Telling racists they are racist won't change them. Inferring people who aren't, that they are only infuriates them.

You're wasting your time GG.

You can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

Nov 15, 2011
Who is telling people who are not racists that they are racists? All I've seen is people asking those who are booing our players standing against racism why they are doing it? All we've got so far is that Gareth Southgate is a secret Marxist and they're bored with not having to look at something for 10 seconds.

The message is clear , the solidarity of players and most fans against inequality and racism and I think it's doing a great job in getting people to discuss this within the context of taking the knee. Will it evolve and and take a new direction, probably, but for now I think it gets people to look at the reasons as to why they are booing and how they really feel. And I think people may learn from this and think actually Farage has told me to its ok to do this but Marcus Rashford has said its wrong so maybe I'm on the wrong side here.

Sep 25, 2010
But the message still needs to be got out there.

Look at the abuse, the new England captain (yesterday), got after the Europa Cup final, so people are not getting the message.

Look at the the abusive tweets over the last few weeks and months, you notice that it is only the black and Asian players who get the abuse over social media.

You don’t hear of a young white footballer getting abuse after they missed an open goal.

Also when Saka scored the other night, and Rashford scored last night, didn’t hear any booing then.

Noticed Henderson MISSED a penalty last night, what if had been a main EURO game last night, ?
??, also what if Rashford or Sterling (say misses a penalty in a game next week), will they then get abuse on social media ??

Jul 12, 2016
Are you for real .Of course white footballers get abused for missing open goals . Fans react to the mistakes players make regardless of their race.

Sep 2, 2008
oldage":2hb84qf0 said:
Are you for real .Of course white footballers get abused for missing open goals . Fans react to the mistakes players make regardless of their race.

Exactly. I can't repeat the abuse I gave Macey that game he threw the ball out to the Scunny player in the last game of our recent relegation season.

Mind you, I wasn't the only one :angel: