Big screen confirmed | Page 10 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Big screen confirmed

Jan 6, 2004
The club has gone in the right direction in most aspects and generally appears to being run extremely well. We can’t just brush the Grandstand fiasco under the carpet though. It was not fit for purpose from the outset, in ways I and many other fans could have told the club from the outset. The concourse was already a crush when there was a full house so the club could not safely narrow it further and the seats were already too close together for comfortable leg room so the club should not make the situation worse with ridged plastic backs to seats. And now it is taking years to sort out. I find it all a bit inexplicable to be honest.

Reactions: Chip green
Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
Looking forward to the big screen, it will definitely add to the match day experience. I know some people want things to remain the same but times have changed, most of us will cope with watching the match and absorbing the information provided by the screen. Reading some of the anti comments reminded me of a conversation I had with a mate only yesterday:

"I don't know if I've got an Apple phone"
"Look on the back mate, there should be an Apple logo"
"Oh yeah"

"What's the point of a mobile phone, I'm getting rid when I retire"
"I'm texting/calling you from my (parked) car mate"
Silence

"Social media is all b**llocks!"
We almost agreed.

Reactions: Biggs

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
The club has gone in the right direction in most aspects and generally appears to being run extremely well. We can’t just brush the Grandstand fiasco under the carpet though. It was not fit for purpose from the outset, in ways I and many other fans could have told the club from the outset. The concourse was already a crush when there was a full house so the club could not safely narrow it further and the seats were already too close together for comfortable leg room so the club should not make the situation worse with ridged plastic backs to seats. And now it is taking years to sort out. I find it all a bit inexplicable to be honest.
No one is brushing it under the carpet are they? The project manager at the club no longer works there and was gone pretty soon after the grandstand was finished, they have said they are going to address the issue and when. It’s hardly been left for years to sort out. If you think it’s a quick fix then I’m not sure you know what you’re talking about mate.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Why do you want a big screen, what adverts do you want to see, or do you want to be featured on the kiss cam?

I go to several grounds with screens including Wembley and can’t say I ever bother looking at them as they don’t perform any useful function that a clock wouldn’t do.
I have not seen "Kiss Cam" happen at any football stadium here in the UK so why would it happen at HP?

Sep 6, 2006
They have indeed. A lot of that time has been spent I would guess finding the best solution and getting costs for the work. Then of course once that is agreed they need to be sure it can be completed during the close season. I think I read that due to this close season being shorter than normal this wasn't possible, hence it is being done next summer.
Don't think the close season is any shorter.

Sep 6, 2006
One advantage of having a screen is that they can display the teamsheets and the substitutions for the areas of the ground where the tannoy is indecipherable. As to Argyle TV without sound - maybe there is a chance of subtitles?

Edit to add: Also they could show the half-time guest so we'd have a chance of seeing who it is even if we can't hear who it is.
And replays?

Jan 11, 2016
Somebody better be ready with the remote to switch to the live Champions League game on that damp, cold Tuesday evening when Morecambe are the visitors.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
That reminds me of another potential benefit, you could easily screen big games at HP without the hassle of getting in a special big screen like we did for the Euros. Like the Chelsea game, for example.

Not 100% sure if this one would be big enough to watch a whole game properly from the Mayflower, but would be great if it was.

Reactions: Keepitgreen

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
That reminds me of another potential benefit, you could easily screen big games at HP without the hassle of getting in a special big screen like we did for the Euros. Like the Chelsea game, for example.

Not 100% sure if this one would be big enough to watch a whole game properly from the Mayflower, but would be great if it was.
I don't think it would be anywhere near big enough for that kind of thing. It's far too far away from the Mayflower Stand for that.

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
I don't think it would be anywhere near big enough for that kind of thing. It's far too far away from the Mayflower Stand for that.

l think your right.

Those in the Devonport / Mayflower corner l think for starters are going to have difficulties seeing a screen that’s in the opposite corner.

I doubt it was viable, but l wondered if it was possible to have two smaller screens above the goals, attached to the stand.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London

You're probably right, but curious to see how big it will be in person. The Mayflower is still the best place to see it from, angle wise.