Big screen confirmed | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Big screen confirmed

Aug 5, 2005
I completely understand why the club might want to put a big screen into the ground, primarily, I'd assume, as a way to make money from advertising but also perhaps to showcase some of the Argyle TV offer. It makes sense from that perspective and I'm supportive of the club trying to find ways to generate revenue to build the club infrastructure and playing squad.

What I don't understand is why so many fans are keen on the idea of having a big screen in the ground. I can't really see what the attraction is. Most people seem to be generally anti having advertising thrust in their faces (e.g. look at the constant grumbling about adverts on PASOTI) and I really can't see how having anything on the screen during play, other than the scoreline and time, could be anything other than distracting. That just leaves the time before games, at half time and after the game when showing Argyle TV footage might work but then do people REALLY want to go to Argyle and watch a big TV in a corner of the ground. You can always watch TV/screens at home or on your phone. Surely people want to take in the match atmosphere, talk to mates about the game etc.

Personally, I understand why having a big screen could be an attractive proposition for the club but I don't understand why it's attractive to fans. I don't feel any personal need to have a screen in the ground and think it's nice to get away from screens and immerse myself in the real match experience when I go to games. So I get why the club is doing this but I'm not in favour of it myself.
So what you're actually saying is 'everyone likes something I don't, so they must all be wrong?

There's a very simple solution - you don't have to look at it

Reactions: PL2 3DQ

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
So now to look at it, everyone in the Lyndhurst has to look either behind themselves or crank their necks to the left. No consideration for anyone who might have a bad neck or maybe suffered from whiplash after an accident that wasn't their fault.

Also, I hope it doesn't become annoying as a light shining in my peripheral vision gives me migraine, especially at night. Let's hope the players aren't distracted by it, I can't see the likes of Joe Edwards scoring another overhead classic like he did against Sheffield Wednesday if he's distracted at the wrong moment and is busy checking his hair just before attempting to score. It's alright for the Premier League players, they're used to it, but this is Argyle in L1.

As for paying for itself through advertising, what adverts are we going to see ? Hopefully not fast food or latest gadget stuff, it's expensive enough now as it is without getting pestered all the way home by kids demanding a chicken burger flavoured pizza or ipod.

Typical Argyle.

Didn`t know you could get chicken burger flavoured i-pods.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
I have literally no interest in a big screen, especially if it is yet another downgrading of our capacity.
I tend to be able to memorise the score during the game without the need for it to be seared onto my retinas in 10 foot neon numbers.
The only justification for the removal of capacity and the expense of such a bit of 'window dressing' would be that huge sums will be sent to advertise on it and will be used to fund a new striker

Reactions: greenpig27

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
One advantage of having a screen is that they can display the teamsheets and the substitutions for the areas of the ground where the tannoy is indecipherable. As to Argyle TV without sound - maybe there is a chance of subtitles?

Edit to add: Also they could show the half-time guest so we'd have a chance of seeing who it is even if we can't hear who it is.

Aug 5, 2005
I have literally no interest in a big screen, especially if it is yet another downgrading of our capacity.
I tend to be able to memorise the score during the game without the need for it to be seared onto my retinas in 10 foot neon numbers.
The only justification for the removal of capacity and the expense of such a bit of 'window dressing' would be that huge sums will be sent to advertise on it and will be used to fund a new striker
You think that the only thing a big screen does is show the score?

My guess is that you've never been to a stadium with a screen?

bd1981

Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 23, 2022
Plymouth
Don't really understand why they couldn't put it in the gaps between mayflower and barn park or mayflower and Devonport?

Seems a great idea but ridiculous placement - either of the options above would have given the majority the cha CE to see it? Maybe it has to be covered?

The one they have at Wycombe was a free standing affair I seem to remember...

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
So what you're actually saying is 'everyone likes something I don't, so they must all be wrong?

There's a very simple solution - you don't have to look at it
That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying I don't understand why people like the idea of a screen, not that they must be wrong. There's a huge difference.

And the problem with that proposed solution is that if there is a screen within someone's field of vision that displays moving or changing images it is not possible for them to not look at it because of the way that vision and the brain work. This is a key part of why I don't understand why people like the idea. If the screen shows moving/changing images, everyone who is sitting on the Mayflower side and many in other parts of the screen will inevitably find their attention being drawn to the screen whether they like it or not.

I'm only making a point, I'm not trying to tell other people what they should or shouldn't do or think.

May 5, 2006
Could the fact that the screen is not going in one of the unfinished corners be a sign that there are serious thoughts being given to filling them in? Would be silly to locate a screen in a place from where it will need to be moved.